Brandon Allen re-signed
#2 QB back with the team. 1 year deal

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Oh goody.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
All hope will be lost if Burrow has to miss multiple games for any reason.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 02:32 PM)ochocincos Wrote: All hope will be lost if Burrow has to miss multiple games for any reason.

That’s true for most teams.

Reply/Quote
I remember Week 18 last year. That was painful QBing to watch.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 02:33 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That’s true for most teams.

That's not true. Hope would increase for most teams if Burrow is out  Hilarious
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 02:32 PM)ochocincos Wrote: All hope will be lost if Burrow has to miss multiple games for any reason.

Right? The fact that we didn't even look to upgrade backup QB is mind blowing. 
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 02:34 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I remember Week 18 last year. That was painful QBing to watch.

Anyone who thinks Allen is a good backup must only look at his 2020 game vs HOU where he threw for 78% for 371 yards and 2 TDs.
Every other game was meh at best.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
The hill gets steeper from this point on.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 02:34 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I remember Week 18 last year. That was painful QBing to watch.

might have been a different story if he was playing with the first team instead of with the back ups against starters.  Of course with the porous line we had, Brandon just isn't mobile enough to save his own life let alone complete a pass

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I have no strong opinion about this unless they gave Allen an absurd amount of money. I hold that opinion that if your starting QB goes down, it's good game & the season is a wash. Allen knows his role and I hope Burrow has good health so we don't have to watch the backup play any significant minutes. Unless, of course, he's playing during blowout wins by the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 02:37 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Anyone who thinks Allen is a good backup must only look at his 2020 game vs HOU where he threw for 78% for 371 yards and 2 TDs.
Every other game was meh at best.

You have guys like Fitzpatrick, Andy Dalton, Jacoby Brissett, Mariota, Jameis, Tyrod Taylor out there and we are running with Brandon Wilson. He literally might be the worst backup in the league. 
Reply/Quote
An official tweet:

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 02:39 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I have no strong opinion about this unless they gave Allen an absurd amount of money. I hold that opinion that if your starting QB goes down, it's good game & the season is a wash. Allen knows his role and I hope Burrow has good health so we don't have to watch the backup play any significant minutes. Unless, of course, he's playing during blowout wins by the Bengals.

This is just absolutely false. 

What if Burrow were only to miss a couple games and we had to rely on our backup to defeat a mediocre team? That win/loss could be the difference between making and missing the playoffs. 
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 02:39 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I have no strong opinion about this unless they gave Allen an absurd amount of money. I hold that opinion that if your starting QB goes down, it's good game & the season is a wash. Allen knows his role and I hope Burrow has good health so we don't have to watch the backup play any significant minutes. Unless, of course, he's playing during blowout wins by the Bengals.

49ers and Eagles would disagree with that.
49ers made it to a Super Bowl with Kaepernick even though Alex Smith went down in their 10th game.
Eagles won a Super Bowl with Foles after Wentz went down toward the end of the regular season.

For most teams though, that's very likely true.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 02:41 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: This is just absolutely false. 

What if Burrow were only to miss a couple games and we had to rely on our backup to defeat a mediocre team? That win/loss could be the difference between making and missing the playoffs. 

I'm offering a subjective opinion just as you are. It's not really possible to unequivocally condemn my take as false no more than I can say your opinion is absolutely wrong, but anyhow I'm not overly interested in debating such an idea.

NFL starting QBs are vital to Super Bowl winning teams and yes, there are historical examples of backup QBs shaping the outcome of a team's season, but I'll hold with my take that more often than not if you lose your elite QB for significant time then the team's season is o-v-e-r. It's Burrow or bust for the Bengals. Burrow is Plan A-Z and if the backup was Dalton, Fitzy, Mariota, or a drafted rookie instead of Allen, I'm not feeling much better about the team's chances to win the Super Bowl.

I'm cool with anyone being disappointed about bringing back Allen, but I'm not investing too much energy myself because we ride with Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 02:39 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: You have guys like Fitzpatrick, Andy Dalton, Jacoby Brissett, Mariota, Jameis, Tyrod Taylor out there and we are running with Brandon Wilson. He literally might be the worst backup in the league.

I would say so considering he doesn’t even play QB…

Reply/Quote
The shit some of you will get worked up over, I swear…

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 02:46 PM)ochocincos Wrote: 49ers and Eagles would disagree with that.
49ers made it to a Super Bowl with Kaepernick even though Alex Smith went down in their 10th game.
Eagles won a Super Bowl with Foles after Wentz went down toward the end of the regular season.

For most teams though, that's very likely true.

Yes, it is possible to have a successful season and even win it all as exemplified by Foles getting hot at the right time. I acknowledge as much. But I'm still locking in on my take that if the elite QB goes down, most teams aren't getting that Foles like magic out of their backup QB. It would be an interesting study to further examine how this historically looks in the NFL but I'm not jumping into such research.

I'm taking the overly simplified position that we need Burrow on the field to win the Super Bowl, not a backup.
Reply/Quote
So much for an upgrade there.

Still, we are slowly filling in the back end of the roster. Not saying we keep all these guys (we have over 53 guys signed) but it is nice to have options.

QB. 2 + 1 PS. Burrow; Allen. (Browning).
RB. 4 + 1. Mixon; Perine, C. Evans (KR), T. Williams. (Holyfield).
WR. 5 + 1. Chase, Highins, Boyd; Mike Thomas, Taylor (PR). (Pooka).
TE. 1 + 2. Sample (Moss, Washington).
OT. 4. J. Williams, Prince; Smith, F. Johnson.
G. 4 + 1. Cappa, Karras; Carman, Adeniji. (Gaillard).
C. 2. Hopkins; T. Hill (Karras & Gaillard also).
-------------------------------
DE. 5+1. Hendrickson, Hubbard; Ossai, Kareem, C. Sample
NT/DT. 3. Reader, BJ Hill; Shelvin
LB. 5 + 2. L. Wilson, Pratt; ADG, Bailey, Bachie. (Johnston, Jones).
CB. 4 + 1. Awuzie, Waynes, Hilton; Davis (Brannon)
S. 4 + 1. Bell, Bates; Michael Thomas, B. Wilson (KR). (Henderson).
--------------------
PK: McPherson
P: Chrisman
LS: Harris
Reply/Quote