Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brandon Allen
(12-27-2020, 09:06 PM)Destro Wrote: He could have swapped Finley to Covid emergency instead of Allen. He had Finley as #2 because he was #2 in his mind. When Burrow went down, they  moved him up behind Finley. Kevin Hogan was then signed to the practice squad. Problem is that Allen was seen as the the safety net instead of the #2 when Finley was the one many say should be a #3.

That's speculation though. From what I've read and gathered, Finley was kept number 2 because he had a year in the offense and was there to help Joe with that and on the tablet after series with Pichter. Allen was brought in as the Covid QB due to familiarity with Callahan in Denver, and Taylor in LA. As soon as Burrow went down, they called Allen up the following Monday. 

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 01:41 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: So, tweets I've seen from the beat guys talk about Finley being a Tobin move not a Zac move, as in moving up to draft him. Wouldn't be surprised since it was the draft right after Taylor was hired and they struggled to get a staff.

Also, Brandon Allen wouldn't be here if not for Taylor, since he brought him in due to their working together with the Rams.

So... I'm not going to stick Finley on anyone but Tobin, and Allen has certainly earned the QB2 spot on this team.

If that is true.... wouldn't it be funny to find out that Taylor started Finley last season to show Duke what he did? Kinda like Marvin playing Ross just enough for him to eff up against Hou, then show him the pine.

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 08:02 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: He looks to be developing into a decent back up. Why did Taylor stick with Finley for so long he is garbage

He stuck with him for 19 snaps.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 11:50 PM)Destro Wrote: Yes, I do and has nothing to do with what I said. The process and idea behind a sole survivor QB is pretty clear. The thing was it was Allen who was that guy. He was the emergency #3 QB. The thing is he was there because he was considered  to be a #3. Game day injury ( like what happened ) or the next week, it had to be Finley, the #2. Finley was next man up because he was picked to be. The majority opinion is Allen is better than Finley, so Finley should have been in the "In Case of Emergency" glass. Most believe Allen gives the best chance to win, so he should been #2. not Finley, covid or not. 

If it is all about having the better player in safety, should have just had Burrow protected from both covid and knee shredding play calling and O-Line.

Being the Backup means you finish the game if #1 gets hurt. Being the Covid means you come in and play  for at least 2 weeks if anyone in the QB room gets the Covid. BA being the covid backup, who could be called up at any time, but would be available if the virus made it into the QB room, was the smart choice.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 12:23 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: He stuck with him for 19 snaps.

Where did you get 19 snaps from?
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 02:00 PM)Tomkat Wrote: Where did you get 19 snaps from?

I'm assuming he's referring to finishing the Washington game. 

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 02:08 PM)Wyche Wrote: I'm assuming he's referring to finishing the Washington game. 

But yet Finley played the entire Pittsburgh game, which was certainly more than 19 snaps.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 02:16 PM)Tomkat Wrote: But yet Finley played the entire Pittsburgh game, which was certainly more than 19 snaps.

You do realize that was because Allen was hurt, right? 
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 02:18 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: You do realize that was because Allen was hurt, right? 

Yes.  So, I guess the point is that Taylor didn't "stick" with Finley by choice, but out of necessity?
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 02:22 PM)Tomkat Wrote: Yes.  So, I guess the point is that Taylor didn't "stick" with Finley by choice, but out of necessity?

When it came to the Pitt game, 100% yes. 
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 08:02 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: He looks to be developing into a decent back up. Why did Taylor stick with Finley for so long he is garbage

Developing into a good backup is putting it mildly.This guy was awesome.Look at his stats.I know it was against a lesser team,but his accuracy and timing,were awesome.Very encouraging.Now we’ll see how he does against the Ravens.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 02:16 PM)Tomkat Wrote: But yet Finley played the entire Pittsburgh game, which was certainly more than 19 snaps.

.... because Allen was out.

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 01:13 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Being the Backup means you finish the game if #1 gets hurt. Being the Covid means you come in and play  for at least 2 weeks if anyone in the QB room gets the Covid. BA being the covid backup, who could be called up at any time, but would be available if the virus made it into the QB room, was the smart choice.

No one is debating having a QB outside of the QB room. Not sure where you get someone doesn't understand or agree with the plan, but Covid isn't part of this equation in question. The choice of WHO it was is in question. That is something that none of what you are saying applies to. Burrow goes down, Allen comes in to play or Finley comes in to play. They choose who that was going to be. If Covid hit the QB room, that's a big hit, but a rare and unlikely one, where as Finley should be in that place, not Allen. Yup, beats Erickson playing QB, but the one in a protective bubble, in case the WORST case scenario happens, should be Finley, as he is the worst case scenario, not Allen.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 12:17 PM)Wyche Wrote: That's speculation though. From what I've read and gathered, Finley was kept number 2 because he had a year in the offense and was there to help Joe with that and on the tablet after series with Pichter. Allen was brought in as the Covid QB due to familiarity with Callahan in Denver, and Taylor in LA. As soon as Burrow went down, they called Allen up the following Monday. 

Not speculation Finley was #2 on this team. The covid safety bubble thing was done with keeping Finley as #2. Burrow went down and Finley played. Allen had to be called up. Those are the facts. Opinion is if Finley or Allen was a better player. Majority say Finley is not good, at least as good as Allen. If that is the case, he should not have been the #2 QB, regardless of any situation, but he was. How did Allen get to play? It wasn't because he won rock, paper, scissors to go in. It is of the opinion that Finley should not have played a snap unless Burrow and Allen both went down or covid hit the QB room. That is the feeling and that is the statement being made and I'm not sure what hill people seem to want to build to battle on. 
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 03:03 PM)Destro Wrote: Not speculation Finley was #2 on this team. The covid safety bubble thing was done with keeping Finley as #2. Burrow went down and Finley played. Allen had to be called up. Those are the facts. Opinion is if Finley or Allen was a better player. Majority say Finley is not good, at least as good as Allen. If that is the case, he should not have been the #2 QB, regardless of any situation, but he was. How did Allen get to play? It wasn't because he won rock, paper, scissors to go in. It is of the opinion that Finley should not have played a snap unless Burrow and Allen both went down or covid hit the QB room. That is the feeling and that is the statement being made and I'm not sure what hill people seem to want to build to battle on. 

Was it in his mind, or was it just that he thought Finley could be of more service in the QB room and on the sidelines due to experience and a year in his system? That's what I meant by speculation.

Allen is obviously the better athlete of the two.

Reply/Quote
But Finely isn't a coach or coordinator. Familiarity with the system or not, if he is not the second best player, he shouldn't be in the spot, in my opinion. Not sure what QB could help Burrow, but if it was one who wore stripes this year, I would have picked Allen as he has actually been around awhile and played some NFL games and been with successful QBs. Also, if Allen was with the Rams with Taylor, he should have some experience with the system as well, one come surmise. Finley may have a beautiful QB mind for all I know, but he brought a helmet to the field, means he may need to play. Zach, Tobin, Brown, whoever, Finley being picked ( in moving up ) and then installed as the #2 here is a mistake. Allen might prove to be ho hum, himself, but Finley is not a worthy #2, in my opinion, but is being shoe horned into it when other options were out there.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 03:27 PM)Destro Wrote: But Finely isn't a coach or coordinator. Familiarity with the system or not, if he is not the second best player, he shouldn't be in the spot, in my opinion. Not sure what QB could help Burrow, but if it was one who wore stripes this year, I would have picked Allen as he has actually been around awhile and played some NFL games and been with successful QBs. Also, if Allen was with the Rams with Taylor, he should have some experience with the system as well, one come surmise. Finley may have a beautiful QB mind for all I know, but he brought a helmet to the field, means he may need to play. Zach, Tobin, Brown, whoever, Finley being picked ( in moving up ) and then installed as the #2 here is a mistake. Allen might prove to be ho hum, himself, but Finley is not a worthy #2, in my opinion, but is being shoe horned into it when other options were out there.

I'd agree with all of that...but you and I both are speculating about why Finley was there .... that's the only thing we're not in 100% agreement on. 

As to helping Joe, I only say that due to lack.of OTAs and a preseason, so I'm guessing they had him on the sidelines to help Joe with things that he didn't get an opportunity to practice. That's the only scenario that makes any sense to me.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 03:42 PM)Wyche Wrote: I'd agree with all of that...but you and I both are speculating about why Finley was there .... that's the only thing we're not in 100% agreement on. 

As to helping Joe, I only say that due to lack.of OTAs and a preseason, so I'm guessing they had him on the sidelines to help Joe with things that he didn't get an opportunity to practice. That's the only scenario that makes any sense to me.

Fair enough. Hopefully Burrow is back, lighting it up, and back ups can stick to high fiving him after TDs and make these discussions moot. 
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 03:46 PM)Destro Wrote: Fair enough. Hopefully Burrow is back, lighting it up, and back ups can stick to high fiving him after TDs and make these discussions moot. 

Amen to that!

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2020, 09:33 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: This thread is about Allen so I will talk about Allen. Dude has been very impressive. I love his confidence. His throws are much better than expected. Dude has skilz. Now, I'm gonna make a comment that even I don't think is probable, but here it is. Brady was a backup once too who was given the shot because the QB went down. No-no-no I don't think that is Allen, but let me state this. Kid has spark and he's tough. I'm so proud of him I would let him sleep with YOUR wives.

Seriously tho, you have to like what you've seen from him filling in the leader role.

I think we have a damn good backup to say the least finally at QB. That was a great game from Allen. Rock On
Reply/Quote