Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brandon LaFell...etc
Obviously the Bengals - on the rare occasion they dip their pinky toe into FA - like to sign players that were cut in order to protect precious compensatory picks. Jim O confirmed here that if the Bengals look to FA to replace MLJ or Sanu, it would most likely be a player who was cut.

So here's a list of decent WR's who have been cut recently, with age in () followed by 2015 stats:

Marques Colston (33 in June): 45-520-4 in 13 games
Roddy White (35 in November): 43-506-1
Brandon Lafell (30 in November): 37-515-0 in 11 games
Riley Cooper (29 in September): 21-327-2

...and that's pretty much it unless I'm missing any other prominent players. I think Lafell really stands out on this list. He missed some time and fought through injury last year, but he's been a capable number 2 for several years and he's still fairly young. I actually don't think we'd be losing much - if anything at all - if LaFell replaced MLJ.

Colston and White may have 1 decent season in the tank, but they're definitely near the end. Cooper seems like the most realistic option for the Bengals considering he should be cheap and both James Urban and Bill Lazor are familiar with him.

Cooper has had a couple of decent seasons (including 835 yards and 8 scores in 2013), so there is some potential there.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2016, 09:25 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Obviously the Bengals - on the rare occasion they dip their pinky toe into FA - like to sign players that were cut in order to protect precious compensatory picks. Jim O confirmed here that if the Bengals look to FA to replace MLJ or Sanu, it would most likely be a player who was cut.

So here's a list of decent WR's who have been cut recently, with age in () followed by 2015 stats:

Marques Colston (33 in June): 45-520-4 in 13 games
Roddy White (35 in November): 43-506-1
Brandon Lafell (30 in November): 37-515-0 in 11 games
Riley Cooper (29 in September): 21-327-2

...and that's pretty much it unless I'm missing any other prominent players. I think Lafell really stands out on this list. He missed some time and fought through injury last year, but he's been a capable number 2 for several years and he's still fairly young. I actually don't think we'd be losing much - if anything at all - if LaFell replaced MLJ.

Colston and White may have 1 decent season in the tank, but they're definitely near the end. Cooper seems like the most realistic option for the Bengals considering he should be cheap and both James Urban and Bill Lazor are familiar with him.

Cooper has had a couple of decent seasons (including 835 yards and 8 scores in 2013), so there is some potential there.

Cooper and Marvin Jones have a similar play style. I would be OK with bringing in Cooper, even if he is a racist scum Smirk
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2016, 10:17 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Cooper and Marvin Jones have a similar play style. I would be OK with bringing in Cooper, even if he is a racist scum Smirk

Cooper would be the most likely candidate. I think the only team that would consider him is San Francisco since Kelly is there now.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Brandon LaFell....one of the longest tenured "is this his year?!" players
Reply/Quote
How much would Lefell cost?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Boldin and Colston are the two I would look at.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2016, 05:48 AM)J24 Wrote: How much would Lefell cost?

The Pats had him at $3 million a year. I would expect something similar if we signed him.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
Reply/Quote
I would only sign LaFell if he can fix some of his drops..

When I was watching some pats games, he was dropping a lot of passes.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2016, 01:50 PM)milksheikh Wrote: I would only sign LaFell if he can fix some of his drops..

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2015/

He (percentage wise) did better than Edelman. Maybe it's just harder to catch deflated balls?

Wasn't Cooper the one who had a meltdown at a Kenny Chensey concert?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2016, 01:50 PM)milksheikh Wrote: I would only sign LaFell if he can fix some of his drops..

I don't think drops have been a big problem for him over the course of his career.

He dropped 6 last year. 2 in 2014. For comparison, Sanu had 9 drops in 2014 alone.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2016, 02:34 AM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Brandon LaFell....one of the longest tenured "is this his year?!" players

I thought 2014 was his year. I mean, he did have 953 yards and 7 scores.

Is he a ever going to be a #1? Nope. A solid #2? I think so.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2016, 02:14 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I thought 2014 was his year. I mean, he did have 953 yards and 7 scores.

If we can get him for $3-4m/year, I think that's tremendous value tbh.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2016, 02:14 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I thought 2014 was his year. I mean, he did have 953 yards and 7 scores.

But every year before that in Carolina was always "This is gonna be Lafell's big year" and it never was. 

He'd be an alright addition. But at 30, I don't have high hopes. 
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2016, 03:24 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: But every year before that in Carolina was always "This is gonna be Lafell's big year" and it never was. 

He'd be an alright addition. But at 30, I don't have high hopes. 

Gotcha. He never really did have that break through in Carolina. I don't think LaFell is a star or anything, I just think he's the best available semi-realistic option to replace MLJ.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2016, 04:53 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Gotcha. He never really did have that break through in Carolina. I don't think LaFell is a star or anything, I just think he's the best available semi-realistic option to replace MLJ.

The sad sad truth behind that is so ***** depressing 
A 30 year old WR who had one good year is only semi-realistic.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2016, 04:53 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Gotcha. He never really did have that break through in Carolina. I don't think LaFell is a star or anything, I just think he's the best available semi-realistic option to replace MLJ.

I disagree!  I think Rishard Matthews is a better option and much younger too.
Reply/Quote
good thread, yea I agree these are the types they'd look at if they lose Jones. Even if they keep Sanu, a guy like White if he has anything left makes a cheap one year rental while you groom a rookie, not a far commute in general too. LaFell could be the fit if they lose both, like mentioned above he has the most left. Maybe I'm wrong for thinking this way but Cooper is a solid fit on paper but do we really need a distraction? He's branded, racism is likely an unforgivable sin in the locker room and media. I'm cool with Colston too.

On another note, I'm a bit surprised to not see them scheduling visits with cut players already in general. If they're trying to finish an 11th hour deal, it helps to have lightweight leverage of a backup option or at least that jump where you don't have to rush in a handful of players the morning of free agency.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2016, 06:34 PM)pulses Wrote: I disagree!  I think Rishard Matthews is a better option and much younger too.

This be my thoughts as well.

Lafell or Cooper are probably more likely though, but i like to reach for the sky myself. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2016, 06:34 PM)pulses Wrote: I disagree!  I think Rishard Matthews is a better option and much younger too.

He's unrestricted and may affect our comp picks. Scratch him off the list. 
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2016, 09:56 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: He's unrestricted and may affect our comp picks. Scratch him off the list. 

the only comp pick we MIGHT get is a 7th so i'm not to concerned over losing it.
Reply/Quote