Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Steeler Homers Down at NFL.com
(04-01-2016, 02:20 PM)magikod Wrote: Amen!

its the bengals vs the world mentality, it sounds cheesy but its true. no one respects the bengals, unless we win a few playoff games. 

I think Bengals fans are just being a wee bit dramatic in this case.  For the past few years there have been plenty of experts crediting us as one of the most talented teams in the NFL, they just are skeptical of our ability to win when it matters.  Who can blame them?

You can't have it both ways...the Bengals can't be the most talented team in the NFL and NOT be criticized for coming up short and winning 0 playoff games in that span.  The results and the talent aren't matching up so either NFL.com can doubt our ability to win in the playoffs and be perpetually disappointed OR they can stop writing articles about how talented we are.

I personally like Dave Dameshek and think he is fairly aware of his homer-ism and he was quite critical of the Steelers during those 8-8 years and/or whenever they lose to multiple losing teams every year under Tomlin.  The sad truth of is we are criticizing a Steelers fan for doubting us when the last time he, and the rest of the world saw us, we were crapping our pants in the biggest game the franchise had in decades against our hated rival.

My lord, if I (an admitted Bengals fan) watched the Steelers crap their pants (as they did against Teboner) and Steeler fans started acting like I was a maniac for being less than impressed, well...I'd tell 'em to ease up.  Again, that's just me.  I realize I'm defending a Steelers homer and one of those dastardly "experts" who apparently only lives to hope the Bengals fail, but that's how I see it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2016, 12:25 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I think Bengals fans are just being a wee bit dramatic in this case.  For the past few years there have been plenty of experts crediting us as one of the most talented teams in the NFL, they just are skeptical of our ability to win when it matters.  Who can blame them?

You can't have it both ways...the Bengals can't be the most talented team in the NFL and NOT be criticized for coming up short and winning 0 playoff games in that span.  The results and the talent aren't matching up so either NFL.com can doubt our ability to win in the playoffs and be perpetually disappointed OR they can stop writing articles about how talented we are.

I personally like Dave Dameshek and think he is fairly aware of his homer-ism and he was quite critical of the Steelers during those 8-8 years and/or whenever they lose to multiple losing teams every year under Tomlin.  The sad truth of is we are criticizing a Steelers fan for doubting us when the last time he, and the rest of the world saw us, we were crapping our pants in the biggest game the franchise had in decades against our hated rival.

My lord, if I (an admitted Bengals fan) watched the Steelers crap their pants (as they did against Teboner) and Steeler fans started acting like I was a maniac for being less than impressed, well...I'd tell 'em to ease up.  Again, that's just me.  I realize I'm defending a Steelers homer and one of those dastardly "experts" who apparently only lives to hope the Bengals fail, but that's how I see it.

Nah man, there are plenty of ways to poke fun at us without completely crossing the line. I mean. "JJ Watt exposed that BB gun Dalton is emotionally brittle?" Cmon. Aiming for Dalton might be the most petty thing he could do and he does it right out of the gate.

There are plenty of writers, even on NFL.com, that can write about the Bengals without blowing a load of Steeler hate so their Steeler readers can get off at home.

For example, here is Elliot Harrison in his power rankings (we are 9 of 32)

"Wow, where to put the Bengals? This is still one of the strongest teams in the AFC. Thank goodness they kept Adam Jones and let both of their free-agent wide receivers walk. So now when A.J. Green is getting blanketed every play, the cornerback can walk over and argue with the refs. We kid, we kid. Felt Cincy needed to keep either Mohamed Sanu or Marvin Jones, although Marvin Jones will make more money in Detroit ($40 million over five years, with $17 million fully guaranteed) than Cincinnati owner Mike Brown was going to pay. So let's see what seventh-round pick Mario Alford -- who can run faster than a '93 Ford Probe GT -- can do. The defection that I am really worried about: Hue Jackson."

I found what he wrote to be funny without blatantly insulting Bengal players and or fans.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2016, 12:30 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Nah man, there are plenty of ways to poke fun at us without completely crossing the line. I mean. "JJ Watt exposed that BB gun Dalton is emotionally brittle?" Cmon. Aiming for Dalton might be the most petty thing he could do and he does it right out of the gate.

There are plenty of writers, even on NFL.com, that can write about the Bengals without blowing a load of Steeler hate so their Steeler readers can get off at home.

For example, here is Elliot Harrison in his power rankings (we are 9 of 32)

"Wow, where to put the Bengals? This is still one of the strongest teams in the AFC. Thank goodness they kept Adam Jones and let both of their free-agent wide receivers walk. So now when A.J. Green is getting blanketed every play, the cornerback can walk over and argue with the refs. We kid, we kid. Felt Cincy needed to keep either Mohamed Sanu or Marvin Jones, although Marvin Jones will make more money in Detroit ($40 million over five years, with $17 million fully guaranteed) than Cincinnati owner Mike Brown was going to pay. So let's see what seventh-round pick Mario Alford -- who can run faster than a '93 Ford Probe GT -- can do. The defection that I am really worried about: Hue Jackson."

I found what he wrote to be funny without blatantly insulting Bengal players and or fans.

Exactly. I'm not one of those people who whines any time a negative article is written. There's a difference between realistic criticism and some of the stuff Dameshek wrote (bringing up the 90's and calling Dalton emotionally fragile after his best season). Dude sounded like a total doosh.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote