Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will they really pick a LBer in 1st round ?
(03-29-2019, 06:50 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Teams will just spread out and isolate those guys one on one.

All the more reason to get Linebackers that can not only stop the run but cover...
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 01:46 PM)Whatever Wrote: The Bengals typically employ a BPA draft philosophy with some exceptions (like Price last year).  If Devin White isn't there, then a LB won't be close to the BPA, hence I don't believe a LB will be the pick.

There are still quality starting LB's in FA like Zack Brown and Brandon Marshall. If the Bengals were sweating it, they'd have offered one of those guys a one year prove it deal.
To me they will not take a linebacker at 11,it will be a top O lineman.We need super help on the lines and we have a Headcoach that was a Qb and he wants to build his O line first,then we will go Defense.I feel we are going to get a A grade with our draft this year.I could see us getting two O linemen,Two D linemen ,a linebacker and a safety and a tight end,we could also use a much better center and there is a couple good ones in this draft.Hopefully they have got their grades close to being done and now its just want and see what happens. ThumbsUp :andy:
Reply/Quote
We can hope they don't and that Jawaan Taylor is sitting there for us at #11.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2019, 10:45 AM)OSUfan Wrote: We can hope they don't and that Jawaan Taylor is sitting there for us at #11.

IF we go OT in Round 1 and pass on White/Bush...how do we get another starting LB?

Vigil/Brown and Evans/Nickerson would be a REALLY BAD LB group.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2019, 11:11 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: IF we go OT in Round 1 and pass on White/Bush...how do we get another starting LB?

Mack Wilson in the 2nd round. Perhaps a Terrill Hanks later on. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
BPA and NEED do not have to be mutually exclusive. If they think White is a top 10 guy and he is there at 11, you take him and he fills both need and bpa. If he is not there and they dont like the OL there, they should look to trade down to target a OL and a LB. This team is not 'nimble' enough on draft day IMO. If an OL you think is a 1st round grade is there into the first few picks of round 2, trade up and get him! Dont wait to see if he drops and then grab a WR there as BPA because the OL guy was picked.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
This 3rd round LBers are embarrassing
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
Can we please draft a first round linebacker.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2019, 11:11 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: IF we go OT in Round 1 and pass on White/Bush...how do we get another starting LB?

Well personally I find White to be extremely overrated and I believe much of his draft position is due to what could be. I have been watching a lot of film on him and cannot say I have walked away from it highly impressed. Yep he is still learning the position which is all the more reason why he may be getting overdrafted.

I am not onboard with Bush at all and I believe he will be overmatched in coverage duties in the NFL.

I also think our young LBs may not be as bad as some think and I believe they will improve greatly under better group coaching. These young guys actually check many of the boxes that you want checked when it comes to the modern day LB in a 4-3 scheme. I also think you can sure up a defense that has coverage deficiencies with LBs by scheming differently and using other positions in hybrid roles.

I notice you do not mention Jefferson. Why is that? Have you written him off after a single rookie season?

Why does a starting LB have to come in the first round?
Reply/Quote
I'm taking White or Bush all day. There's depth in most of the positions that we need and there has to be an investment early on if we expect their to be enough growth.

The mid to late round fliers on guys have been hit or miss, mostly miss, so it's time to take a shot on one of these top level prospects and hope that they're a cornerstone for the defense.

One thing I read, I think it was by Kevin Clark with The Ringer, was that some defensive coordinators and teams have realized that it's easier to scheme with your front four than your back 7, and the back 7 has become the biggest key in the current NFL landscape. Having a top flight linebacker who can cover and tackle would be a key to improving on this side of the ball.
[Image: y35bdhbl]
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2019, 02:11 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep,

It matters not if your offense can put up 25 pts. if your D gives up 30 because you can't cover underneath ! And that's been our achilles heel for quite some time.

Our head coach is a offensive guy,dud,a former QB he is going to pick a top O-lineman FIRST,Mark this down and why do you commentators always take my post off as soon as you can.I have been a fan of this team since 1968,I know football,I am a former decorated Vietnam Veteran,and a season ticket holder along with my family and friends.I do believe I deserve a little respect.I am also a far away associate of Mr.Mike Brown and he will be the first to admit he has made many mistakes.I have let him know about those many times and he always responds to me with respect.Just sayin. :andy:
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2019, 03:43 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Well personally I find White to be extremely overrated and I believe much of his draft position is due to what could be. I have been watching a lot of film on him and cannot say I have walked away from it highly impressed. Yep he is still learning the position which is all the more reason why he may be getting overdrafted.

I am not onboard with Bush at all and I believe he will be overmatched in coverage duties in the NFL.

I also think our young LBs may not be as bad as some think and I believe they will improve greatly under better group coaching. These young guys actually check many of the boxes that you want checked when it comes to the modern day LB in a 4-3 scheme. I also think you can sure up a defense that has coverage deficiencies with LBs by scheming differently and using other positions in hybrid roles.

I notice you do not mention Jefferson. Why is that? Have you written him off after a single rookie season?

Jefferson is gonna have to play over 20 snaps per season to get a mention.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
We almost have to take a LB early because right now our LB corps is Vigil and Brown. Brown looked good before getting hurt so IF he is 100% he holds down one position. Vigil to me was underrated last season because on a lot of snaps he was out there with Nickerson and Evans or Rey - these three played so poorly that it was like Vigil was the only LB out there.

As to who....White, Bush, Allen and Sweat all project to Top 20 and all are three down players. In pass defense they probably rank more or less as I listed. In pass rushing Sweat and Allen take a slight edge and in run defense all four are capable. So really any of these four would be a good first pick for ZT.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2019, 03:43 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Well personally I find White to be extremely overrated and I believe much of his draft position is due to what could be. I have been watching a lot of film on him and cannot say I have walked away from it highly impressed. Yep he is still learning the position which is all the more reason why he may be getting overdrafted.

When I read your 1st 2 paragraphs I was thinking of Jefferson. Ideally he would develop into a starter.

Other teams land starting LB's in other rounds. I think it goes back to what TB said though and that's relying on lower round picks as starters IS risky.
Reply/Quote