Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brandon Marshall
Recent rumblings that the jets are going to go into full rebuilding mode. It ain't ever gonna happen... But hypothetically if they wanted to recoup the 4th they gave up to originally acquire him, should (not would because we know the answer to that) but SHOULD the bengals do it?

He is great at posting up and physically dominating CB's. Not great speed but can still stretch the field to his jump ball ability. Would be able to help in the redzone and seems to have mTured Into a great teammate.

And you would have his rights for next year @ a reasonable 7.5m - so not just a 1 year rental. AND the bengals would be (hypothetically) able to deal with the lost pick due to additional comp picks.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'd trade a first for him
Reply/Quote
I think Marshall said he was done after the Jets. Looks like he's even getting tired of switching teams all of his career.

He's a top wideout but teams are lucky to get that kind of performance from him consistently.There's a pattern of playing well until the honeymoon phase is over.
Reply/Quote
WR is not our problem.

Don't waste a draft pick or several million dollars on that position when we have bigger holes elsewhere.
Reply/Quote
I'd give up a 4th for him without hesitation. Never happen but I'd absolutely do it and he'd be an upgrade to what we have. Yes as Fred said we have other problems but a top notch WR at a reasonable price would make our team better even with this pathetic o line
Reply/Quote
Alshon Jefferies is more realistic. WTS, I agree with Fred, WR is not a problem
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2016, 12:17 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote:  Yes as Fred said we have other problems but a top notch WR at a reasonable price would make our team better even with this pathetic o line

7.5 million would do more to fix the O-line.  Who pays that much for a #2 WR when they have holes elsewhere?
Reply/Quote
If Zeitler leaves, and you replace him with a draft pick, even a high draft pick, you're saving $6-6.5m right there. Then you figure LaFell will be gone after this year, with his $2.4m cap hit. That puts you at more than Marshall's 2017 salary.

I would gladly send a 4th (the Bengals should have 3 of them in 2017 after comp picks) for Marshall. Dude is a great WR, produced big everywhere he's been despite never having a good QB throw him the ball. Heck, I would even be willing to give a 3rd for him.

Dalton could do some serious damage with Green/Marshall/Eifert (if he's healthy).

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2016, 10:51 AM)JustcallmeDaddy Wrote: I'd trade a first for him

is that a joke!?

Its not 2010, AJ is in his prime and not declining like Chad and whilst Marshall is not Terrell Owens i do not see any reason why we overpay to get him in.  

A running game that consistently averages 4.0-4.5 yards per carry is the biggest thing we need on offense..not a high profile/ high salary free agent WR who won't actually contribute much more than someone like LaFell
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2016, 08:21 PM)sonofstat Wrote: is that a joke!?

Its not 2010, AJ is in his prime and not declining like Chad and whilst Marshall is not Terrell Owens i do not see any reason why we overpay to get him in.  

A running game that consistently averages 4.0-4.5 yards per carry is the biggest thing we need on offense..not a high profile/ high salary free agent WR who won't actually contribute much more than someone like LaFell

Not saying a first for a year and a half of Marshall is something I agree with, but not much more than LaFell? Marshall put up 1,500 yards and 14 TDS last year. 

That is like saying AJ Green won't contribute much more than Mohamed Sanu.

Reply/Quote
(10-22-2016, 11:46 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Recent rumblings that the jets are going to go into full rebuilding mode.  It ain't ever gonna happen... But hypothetically if they wanted to recoup the 4th they gave up to originally acquire him, should (not would because we know the answer to that) but SHOULD the bengals do it?

He is great at posting up and physically dominating CB's.  Not great speed but can still stretch the field to his jump ball ability.  Would be able to help in the redzone and seems to have mTured Into a great teammate.

And you would have his rights for next year @ a reasonable 7.5m - so not just a 1 year rental.  AND the bengals would be (hypothetically)  able to deal with the lost pick due to additional comp picks.

Not sure the Bengals or any team can afford both AJ Green and Marshall...To pay for other positions, Seattle has the cheapest O Line and it shows.....Plus LaFell doing great now and Eifert back and Boyd still to develop.  Wright the top back-up to them...NO, I don't see them going after a very expensive Marshall.....I think Bengals try to resign some of their own, as always, which I agree with. ...We just have other areas of need beside WR.....If LaFell hadn't caught fire, if we had not drafted Boyd, but as it is, we have other weak areas...O Line and Defense for some reason do not look as good.  I think we need linebackers. I'm not sure about the O line.  I know we need better linebackers. Bengals fans really over rate these linebackers we have.  Teams are running the ball up our rear end. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2016, 10:46 AM)kevin Wrote: Not sure the Bengals or any team can afford both AJ Green and Marshall...To pay for other positions, Seattle has the cheapest O Line and it shows.....Plus LaFell doing great now and Eifert back and Boyd still to develop.  Wright the top back-up to them...NO, I don't see them going after a very expensive Marshall.....I think Bengals try to resign some of their own, as always, which I agree with. ...We just have other areas of need beside WR.....If LaFell hadn't caught fire, if we had not drafted Boyd, but as it is, we have other weak areas...O Line and Defense for some reason do not look as good.  I think we need linebackers. I'm not sure about the O line.  I know we need better linebackers. Bengals fans really over rate these linebackers we have.  Teams are running the ball up our rear end. 

Julio jones and demaryius Thomas have similar contracts to AJ.

They also have sanu and Emmanuel sanders making 7.5+ per year.

It's possible but expensive.  Marshall wouldn't strap them for years 4+ years like the Falcons and Broncos 
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2016, 10:46 AM)kevin Wrote: Not sure the Bengals or any team can afford both AJ Green and Marshall...To pay for other positions, Seattle has the cheapest O Line and it shows.....Plus LaFell doing great now and Eifert back and Boyd still to develop.  Wright the top back-up to them...NO, I don't see them going after a very expensive Marshall.....I think Bengals try to resign some of their own, as always, which I agree with. ...We just have other areas of need beside WR.....If LaFell hadn't caught fire, if we had not drafted Boyd, but as it is, we have other weak areas...O Line and Defense for some reason do not look as good.  I think we need linebackers. I'm not sure about the O line.  I know we need better linebackers. Bengals fans really over rate these linebackers we have.  Teams are running the ball up our rear end. 

Rey Maualuga's main purpose to still be here was for run defense. I don't have rankings or anything in front of me, but I haven't noticed him being that good in that department.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-24-2016, 10:34 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Not saying a first for a year and a half of Marshall is something I agree with, but not much more than LaFell? Marshall put up 1,500 yards and 14 TDS last year. 

That is like saying AJ Green won't contribute much more than Mohamed Sanu.

Perhaps i should have explained it better...as a player Marshall is a true, big bodied #1 WR who's clearly put much better production up than LaFell.

But in this offense right now we already have our own younger , big bodied #1 WR in AJ... 

..I do not see the burning need for us to get another #1 WR in who will be a big name, big money addition that may not actually translate into more wins (even if it did potentially translate into more passing yards).  It just reminds me of the Terrell Owens move...on paper him and Chad (and Antonio Bryant at the time  Ninja  ) seemed a good idea and Owens put some production up in the games he played but it did not actually move us forward.

If we were to invest in a higher end FA on offense I'd probably look at the OL first as its not looking like we have fixed it through the draft at this point.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2016, 01:21 PM)sonofstat Wrote: Perhaps i should have explained it better...as a player Marshall is a true, big bodied #1 WR who's clearly put much better production up than LaFell.

But in this offense right now we already have our own younger , big bodied #1 WR in AJ... 

..I do not see the burning need for us to get another #1 WR in who will be a big name, big money addition that may not actually translate into more wins (even if it did potentially translate into more passing yards).  It just reminds me of the Terrell Owens move...on paper him and Chad (and Antonio Bryant at the time  Ninja  ) seemed a good idea and Owens put some production up in the games he played but it did not actually move us forward.

If we were to invest in a higher end FA on offense I'd probably look at the OL first as its not looking like we have fixed it through the draft at this point.

Unless you think AJ is going to Ochocinco it, that comparison doesn't hold water.

The Steelers had Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown, the Broncos have Demaryius Thomas and Emmanuel Sanders, the Patriots had Randy Moss and Wes Welker, etc etc.

Eifert is "back", but who knows how long until he is hurt again. LaFell has been alright, but he is gone after this year.

If "may not translate into wins" is the reasoning, then there is no reason to sign or draft anyone, because it may not translate into more wins. 

Get talent. Then get more talent. Then use it to win. Nobody would say "Eh, Tom Brady? We already have Dalton, and Brady might not add any wins."

Get the best players you possibly can, then worry about winning after that. If it makes your team better, do it.

Reply/Quote