Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tyler Boyd as our PR.....
I have seen enough of Ericsson, if we aren't going to use Pac Man please put Tyler Boyd back there, we could use a spark in the special teams department!
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
I'm not saying Erickson is good, but I wonder if more is going on there than we know. Maybe the blocking assignments aren't getting fulfilled. It does seem like they are getting down on Erickson pretty quickly.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2016, 09:35 AM)Au165 Wrote: I'm not saying Erickson is good, but I wonder if more is going on there than we know. Maybe the blocking assignments aren't getting fulfilled. It does seem like they are getting down on Erickson pretty quickly.

I think there is that but more importantly when he decides to fair catch a ball, inside the 10 and other mental mistakes.  He also seems to fair catch too many when there is room to run.
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
He'll get it going.

Reply/Quote
He's a rookie.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2016, 09:37 AM)corpjet Wrote: I think there is that but more importantly when he decides to fair catch a ball, inside the 10 and other mental mistakes.  He also seems to fair catch too many when there is room to run.

I think they have told him when in doubt fair catch. Tate had a longer leash and still fair caught a lot. I wonder how much of that is Simmons and Marvin.
Reply/Quote
Jones has done no better.   The blocking is atrocious.  None of them have any time to get it going.  If jones can't get it going no one can.

I will say this, Tate has done well in Buffalo receiving the ball.   I don't know if he's caught many, but the ones I've seen have been good catches.

Take a look at Simmons on the sidelines.  He's going to blow a gasket.   Teams play has definitely deteriorated and the blocking has been the biggest problem.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
so with all that said why not give it a try? What do we have to lose?

We've made other changes in places of concern, such as RT, giving Gio a start, etc.

I understand he's a rookie but we cant continue to just say the blocking is bad......
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2016, 11:57 AM)corpjet Wrote: so with all that said why not give it a try?  What do we have to lose?

Our slot WR possibly...
Reply/Quote
Never thought I'd say this, but this team needs Ced Peerman back.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Some thoughts on this;

1. Jones is one of the best in the league, and even if the blocking was good, he is not going to have big gains on every return! NO team has that.

2. Boyd is not a good choice because of the same reason they don't like using Jones because of chance of injury.

3. Burkhead would be a better choice. (BTW love the way he came in in the backfield to spell Hill and got that one critical first down on second and third effort.)

4. IMHO anyone who was a Tate hater, have no right to complain about anything they do. (Kind of like if you don't vote you get no right to complain) You got your wish! Wink
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2016, 10:54 AM)3wt Wrote: Jones has done no better.   The blocking is atrocious.  None of them have any time to get it going.  If jones can't get it going no one can.

I will say this, Tate has done well in Buffalo receiving the ball.   I don't know if he's caught many, but the ones I've seen have been good catches.

Take a look at Simmons on the sidelines.  He's going to blow a gasket.   Teams play has definitely deteriorated and the blocking has been the biggest problem.

ST's have not been good since Peerman got injured. Hopefully, people see this now and we won't hear anymore of the "Cut Peerman for Tra Carson" crap....
Reply/Quote
Most of Erickson's decisions have been good. There was one Fair Catch yesterday where the only defender nearby was probably going to be run by him with nobody else around but I don't know what Simmons prescribes when a defender is that close. Obviously the muff yesterday is unacceptable, but again, rookie.

The "don't fair catch inside the ten" rule is out-dated. Punts rarely bounce into the end zone when they hit outside the five yard line. It's even more rare when the kicker is aiming for a short punt. That's partially because of Field Turf and partially because kickers have gotten so much better at kicking so the ball dies when it lands.

Blocking has been the biggest part of the problem. Another part of the problem is field position. Between poor kick return coverage and poor defense it seems like nearly every punt is a short punt fielded inside the twenty. You don't get many return opportunities in that mode.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2016, 01:25 PM)Roland Wrote: Most of Erickson's decisions have been good. There was one Fair Catch yesterday where the only defender nearby was probably going to be run by him with nobody else around but I don't know what Simmons prescribes when a defender is that close. Obviously the muff yesterday is unacceptable, but again, rookie.

The "don't fair catch inside the ten" rule is out-dated. Punts rarely bounce into the end zone when they hit outside the five yard line. It's even more rare when the kicker is aiming for a short punt. That's partially because of Field Turf and partially because kickers have gotten so much better at kicking so the ball dies when it lands.

Blocking has been the biggest part of the problem. Another part of the problem is field position. Between poor kick return coverage and poor defense it seems like nearly every punt is a short punt fielded inside the twenty. You don't get many return opportunities in that mode.

Spot on. People forget that offenses are starting now on average at the 25 yard line. Our bend but don't break defense rarely gets a 3 and out. Most punts received by us are short fields and blocking has been atrocious. The few punts Adam Jones have received have gone for the same as Erickson and it's easy to see that even Adam Jones is getting frustrated with the lack of blocking. Special teams are a joke in cincinnati. We have a kicker that struggles with anything over 40 yards. That's arguably the most important position on special teams, do people really trust the special teams coach to get the personnel and blocking right when we cannot fix the most important issue?
Reply/Quote