Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brandon Scherff - Yes please
Not a fan of the injury history. You do not tend to get healthier as you get older either so I expect those injuries to persist. Not a big fan of guys you worry about every time they fall over.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2022, 01:40 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I said this last offseason when I was pushing for Thuney. I would rather have a slightly less talented player who is reliably healthy than a slightly more talented player who can't be relied upon... and sure enough Thuney was healthy and good, and Scherff was not healthy and good.

So yes, there might be a gap in ability between Daniels and Scherff, but you need to think of it this way when determining who is better....

17 games of Daniels + Daniels in the playoffs
or
11 games of Scherff + 6 games of Adeniji + potentially Adeniji in the playoffs

...and you're paying much more for the latter.

Scherff is heading into his age 31 season and has been on the IR 3 of the last 4 seasons with still missing 6 games in the only season of those 4 that he's not been on the IR. He's not going to get more durable with age.

Literally had this same debate with my coworker the whole day. He's of the opinion of not signing Bates to afford one of these contracts while I pointed out all the good young OL while also keeping Bates.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2022, 12:09 AM)BuildTheWall Wrote: Just because his annual salary is, say, $17M/year does not mean his cap hit is that high every year. For example, KC gave Thuney 16M a year for 5 years, but his cap hits are 4.5, 17.8, 18.9, 19.4 and 19.4. Give him a low salary year one, and backload the contract, and that's how you do it. Whether or not we should, or if we will, are all different conversations, but I'm just telling you it can be done, and how.

Of the things this FO does wrong. Structuring contracts is not one of them 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Brandon Scherff is basically Riley Reiff but better when healthy.

Reiff - Hasn't played a full season since 2015. Always dinged up at some point.
Scherff - Hasn't played a full season since 2016.

If the Bengals sign Scherff (and/or Reiff), they better have a promising backup ready to fill in just in case.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2022, 12:09 AM)BuildTheWall Wrote: Just because his annual salary is, say, $17M/year does not mean his cap hit is that high every year. For example, KC gave Thuney 16M a year for 5 years, but his cap hits are 4.5, 17.8, 18.9, 19.4 and 19.4. Give him a low salary year one, and backload the contract, and that's how you do it. Whether or not we should, or if we will, are all different conversations, but I'm just telling you it can be done, and how.

This kicks the can down the road.
It may help the Bengals in 2022, but it would greatly reduce their available cap in the year(s) after that.
Players don't typically accept deals like that either unless they get a hefty guaranteed salary that gets spread over the course of the contract.
That way, they still get plenty of $$ if they are cut down the road.
Given Bengals don't give a lot of guaranteed money because of the potential dead cap, it's unlikely that a high-quality FA would agree to the small amount in Year 1.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
The more that I hear about him, the more that I'd be good with him being "the guy" that they make a run on in this FA period. He can maul, block in space, and doesn't give up sacks. He's played plenty of snaps at RG and may actually be better there. The injury business is disconcerting, but he'll consistently be back on the field after a week or two of rehab - he doesn't end each season on IR.  

16 or 17 million might sound like a lot - it doesn't seem that bad compared to a lot of the numbers that I've seen being thrown around. And everyone agrees that he's not a stalemater or a finesse guy who gets overpowered. He'd go a long way toward fixing some of the worst problems - ie. pass protection and short yardage situations. 
Reply/Quote