Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Brandon Thompson
(03-24-2016, 05:39 PM)JungleRock85 Wrote: Forget about a Defensive Tackle before the 4th round. Just won't happen no matter what we all think...they love their mid round DTs such as Atkins, Peko, Sims, Thompson, and Hardison....

It will be Willie Henry if he lasts to the 4th. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
So is Gilberry perhaps next on the list of D-linemen to bring back. He was more productive than Sims or Thompson.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2016, 05:39 PM)JungleRock85 Wrote: Forget about a Defensive Tackle before the 4th round. Just won't happen no matter what we all think...they love their mid round DTs such as Atkins, Peko, Sims, Thompson, and Hardison....

This signing shouldn't change that.  He isn't being paid so much that it would prevent the Bengals from taking a DT early if a special talent is there, and it is one of the deepest drafts at that position in some time.  

I feel BT is a little snake-bit and he always  seems to get injured at the worst times.  I give him a ton of credit for playing injured (unadvertised) many times in the past.  I hope he has a late-career burst and not only makes the team, but thrives.  
Reply/Quote
He knows the system & probably came at a reasonable price. Another case of taking care of our own. Wish they would do the same with Reggie Nelson.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2016, 12:02 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: So is Gilberry perhaps next on the list of D-linemen to bring back. He was more productive than Sims or Thompson.

gotta think Gilberry and Nelson are still seeking bigger deals than what the bengals are willing to offer. Im guessing there are offers though.

So if they cant find a new home they might be back.

Gilberry has been really good for us. and nelson finally shined thru last season.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2016, 11:14 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: gotta think Gilberry and Nelson are still seeking bigger deals than what the bengals are willing to offer.  Im guessing there are offers though.

So if they cant find a new home they might be back.

Gilberry has been really good for us.  and nelson finally shined thru last season.

Gilberry has had some good time with the Bengals.  However, I would trade Gilberry, Sims, and Thompson for one Terrance Knighton, any day of the week.

Not likely going to happen, but what I was hoping to see this offseason.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2016, 05:39 PM)JungleRock85 Wrote: Forget about a Defensive Tackle before the 4th round. Just won't happen no matter what we all think..

Still was taken in the 2nd and Thompson in the 3rd.

And remember when we would never take a TE or OG in the first round?
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2016, 12:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Still was taken in the 2nd and Thompson in the 3rd.

Not the greatest examples considering Still and Thompson both were busts, when they chose TE in the first round, they chose Gresham over Gronkowski (might end up the best TE ever), and when they chose OG in the first round, they chose Zeitler over DeCastro (1st team All-Pro).

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2016, 12:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Still was taken in the 2nd and Thompson in the 3rd.

I never mentioned Still and Thompson was the end of the 3rd. If you want to get your hopes up they will draft a Defensive Tackle early then go for it but Still actually works into my thoughts on why they won't draft one in the first couple of rounds. He sucked....
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2016, 02:43 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Not the greatest examples considering Still and Thompson both were busts, when they chose TE in the first round, they chose Gresham over Gronkowski (might end up the best TE ever), and when they chose OG in the first round, they chose Zeitler over DeCastro (1st team All-Pro).

Zeitler is better than DeCastro though.
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

Reply/Quote
(03-25-2016, 03:41 PM)Garrus Wrote: Zeitler is better than DeCastro though.

Pro Bowls and All-Pros would disagree. What are you basing this on? Please don't say "my eyes" because that's the same as saying "their uniforms".

Not saying Zeitler is bad, he's a good guard, he's just never become the amazing player/ultimate destroyer that he was advertised as.

Reply/Quote
(03-25-2016, 05:02 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Pro Bowls and All-Pros would disagree. What are you basing this on? Please don't say "my eyes" because that's the same as saying "their uniforms".

Not saying Zeitler is bad, he's a good guard, he's just never become the amazing player/ultimate destroyer that he was advertised as.

How much of that is Zeitler's fault?  Look who he's had playing next to him, nothing but Centers that can be described as "serviceable at best", and an on again-off again Tackle, that is generally dinged up in some sort of way.  I believe that Zeitler is much better than you want to give him credit for.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2016, 06:34 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: How much of that is Zeitler's fault?  Look who he's had playing next to him, nothing but Centers that can be described as "serviceable at best", and an on again-off again Tackle, that is generally dinged up in some sort of way.  I believe that Zeitler is much better than you want to give him credit for.

I hope Hunt and Clark are gone,gone,gone,Both have done nothing.Its really hard to find a true pass rusher,alot of times all teams find that the guy they loved in college cannot match up in the pros.When you find a Atkins and a Dunlap,consider yourself blessed.Hopefully they draft a true hammer.In our division its always a physical war.I have not studied much of the college players this year,I have been under the weather this year.Who do most of you like that would be a stud for us???? Would enjoy some feedback.Thank you all of you long-suffering fans.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2016, 06:49 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: I hope Hunt and Clark are gone,gone,gone,Both have done nothing.Its really hard to find a true pass rusher,alot of times all teams find that the guy they loved in college cannot match up in the pros.When you find a Atkins and a Dunlap,consider yourself blessed.Hopefully they draft a true hammer.In our division its always a physical war.I have not studied much of the college players this year,I have been under the weather this year.Who do most of you like that would be a stud for us???? Would enjoy some feedback.Thank you all of you long-suffering fans.

As a guessing man, I'd say that you just might get your wish.  As far as Hunt and Clarke go.  With the recent re-signings of Sims and Thompson at DT, and the lack of any other team picking up Gilberry, it appears as the Bengals are prepared to stand with the status quo, at DT.  (much to my personal dismay)  However, the draft stock of DEs is quite high in this year's draft, as well.  I could for sure see the team drafting a DE, and letting the Margus Hunt experiment come to an end.  However, Clarke, albeit in limited action, has shown some flashes of being NFL capable.  I believe that the team feels like the jury is still out on Clarke, and that his development may pay some dividends.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2016, 06:34 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: How much of that is Zeitler's fault?  Look who he's had playing next to him, nothing but Centers that can be described as "serviceable at best", and an on again-off again Tackle, that is generally dinged up in some sort of way.  I believe that Zeitler is much better than you want to give him credit for.

DeCastro played next to a backup center for the entirety of 2015. Joe Thomas and Alex Mack played next to more bad and forgettable guards than I could probably even imagine. Andrew Whitworth played next to Nate Livings. Great players will be great players regardless.

Much better than I want to give him credit for? This isn't me saying he stinks or that he can't play or something. I already said he's a good guard. I'm giving him credit. I am just saying he's not the better of the two guards the Bengals were choosing from and is not great. Still a good player, good starter, just not what was expected/hoped.

Reply/Quote
(03-25-2016, 07:02 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: As a guessing man, I'd say that you just might get your wish.  As far as Hunt and Clarke go.  With the recent re-signings of Sims and Thompson at DT, and the lack of any other team picking up Gilberry, it appears as the Bengals are prepared to stand with the status quo, at DT.  (much to my personal dismay)  However, the draft stock of DEs is quite high in this year's draft, as well.  I could for sure see the team drafting a DE, and letting the Margus Hunt experiment come to an end.  However, Clarke, albeit in limited action, has shown some flashes of being NFL capable.  I believe that the team feels like the jury is still out on Clarke, and that his development may pay some dividends.

Between Thompson, Sims and DeShawn Williams they have quanity, but not enough quality to impede a high pick.  I'll agree with you that DE is a possibility we don't hear enough of.  They may be waiting on Gilberry's price to come down or a young bust type to give a shot to for depth.  Some may not like it, but what if they see Hardison as a Gilberry replacement rather than just a fresh UT with upside?  Even with the bodies they have, there isn't enough proven behind the vets to pass on at least a mid round DT of some type. 
Reply/Quote

There is a lot to this.  If Ced is the RT we are hoping he will be, Zeitler might be mentioned in the Pro Bowl again.  
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2016, 12:52 AM)phil413 Wrote: Between Thompson, Sims and DeShawn Williams they have quanity, but not enough quality

Thompson will probably start the season on PUP, and DeShawn Williams is nothing but hype so far.  When we released him last year every other team in the league passed on a chance to sign him.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2016, 05:02 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Pro Bowls and All-Pros would disagree. What are you basing this on? Please don't say "my eyes" because that's the same as saying "their uniforms".

But it is the uniform.

DeCastro and Zeit are on par. I wouldn't say one is better than the other so far in their respected careers.

DeCastro just wears black and piss yellow.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2016, 11:23 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Thompson will probably start the season on PUP, and DeShawn Williams is nothing but hype so far.  When we released him last year every other team in the league passed on a chance to sign him.

Hey i am wanting a DT Draft pick more than anyone but just quit it with this speech.

Williams shown a lot in Preseason last year as did Hardison. Just because Williams was passed on doesn't make him a bad player.

Just like if he was picked up by another team doesn't make him a great one.

Hit and misses happen all the time in this league.

BTW, what hype? Hobspin hype? I haven't seen many on here pimpin Deshawn. But he did have some sacks last Preseason.
Reply/Quote