Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Break Out players
(04-09-2020, 05:49 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I thought for sure this thread would read:

1. Joe Burrow QB
2. Joe Burrow QB
3. Joe Burrow QB
4. Joe Burrow QB
5. Joe Burrow QB

I'm looking forward to Burrow, but the guy is really crossing the "Poochie" line already.  Lordy!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 10:41 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm looking forward to Burrow, but the guy is really crossing the "Poochie" line already.  Lordy!

"The Guy" hasn't done shit.  Did you hate the Beatles because teenage girls screamed louder than the music?

Also, it's all in fun.  Well, mostly.  He's a good thing that's soon to happen for the Bengals.  The nerve of him.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I'm going to go out on a major limb here and say Rennell Wren. He's behind a lot of guys on the depth chart, but physically, he's got a lot of potential. Perhaps an injury or 3rd and short package will give him a chance to make good. It would be interesting to see him line up next to Reader as an end in 3-4 looks.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 04:02 PM)J24 Wrote: 5.) Auden Tate WR/Flex TE- He's been underutilized since he's been here but I think that changes when he gets here. I see him taking Eiferts role this season and he will have a monster year.
2020 projected stats- 700 yards & 7 TDs
4.) John Ross- He was over drafted in 2017 but that doesn't mean he isn't any good. He shown break out ability at times during his career. His speed is a game changer when he is in the line up.
2020 projected stats- 850 yards & 8 TDs
3.) Germaine Pratt- one of the most encouraging signs at the end of last season was Pratts play. The kid's sideline to sideline speed looked next Level.
Projected stats- 110 Tackles (80 solo), 10 TFls, 5 PD, 2 sacks.
2.) Andrew Brown- He played more end the DT which was a mistake last season. However he impressed me when he was DT. Although his stats won't show it.  I think he plays a big time role as the Nickel DT in between Geno & Dunlap.
Projected Stats- 5 sacks, 12 QB Hits,  8 TFLs
1.) Carl Lawson- some would say he has already broken out but I think he his due for a superstar like season. In the last 8 games he had 4 sacks and 20 QB Hits. To me he is a guy that has shown he can be a huge game wrecker. However this season he is going to show that he is a DPOY candidate.
Projected Stats- 16 sacks, 36 QB Hits, and 12 TFLs.
Who are your breakout players? Who is on the list you agree with or disagree with?

Lawson will be another year removed from the knee injury. He should have a great season!
Reply/Quote
I'm still holding out hope for Mason Shreck to become a player. He's been injured a few times in previous years, but the path is clear now with Eifert gone and his own season ending on a healthy note.

Guy still holds the record for TE receiving yards in a season at Buffalo and he is the perfect size for a TE, 6'5" 252. Figure a few years now developing, he is prime for a season to break out. If not, probably his last chance.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Was hoping for a Drew Sample jump this year on the list. IDK what to say on Sample at this point. The fact that Bengals didn't get a veteran TE via free agency, maybe tells me that the coaches see something in him. I could see a 35rec 340yds 4TDs for Drew.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 03:06 AM)Jhowdy54 Wrote: Was hoping for a Drew Sample jump this year on the list.   IDK what to say on Sample at this point. The fact that Bengals didn't get a veteran TE via free agency, maybe tells me that the coaches see something in him.  I could see a 35rec 340yds 4TDs for Drew.

He will be a starting TE this season but he won't have huge numbers. He is always going to be judged harshly here because he was overreacted and what makes him good is his blocking ability. 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 11:15 PM)McC Wrote: "The Guy" hasn't done shit.  Did you hate the Beatles because teenage girls screamed louder than the music?

Also, it's all in fun.  Well, mostly.  He's a good thing that's soon to happen for the Bengals.  The nerve of him.

Dude, eat a peach.  We all love Burrow and we all have shrines to the kid built in our houses.  I was just making a Simpsons reference because it's like every question or topic on this board on the past 6 months has to be Burrow this and Burrow that.  

Burrow will save Ross, Burrow will make the FO do stuff, Burrow will save ZT and mask the O line issues, Burrow will beat the Steelers and win in the playoffs.  

I don't hate Burrow I just want the season to get here so we can stop swooning over how he's going to save us and actually watch him play.  So it's not like anyone hated Poochie, it's just that he had to be the best and your favorite before he was even introduced. 
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 11:15 PM)McC Wrote: "The Guy" hasn't done shit.  Did you hate the Beatles because teenage girls screamed louder than the music?

I had a long winded reply but my phone mucked up and I lost it.  In short, mellow out it was just a joke and quit white knighting for Burrow.  No one hates him.

If Burrow is the Beatles you're the one screaming and im the one who actually wants to hear him to see if he lives up to the hype.  But I do prefer the Beatles on album, now that you mention it. 
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 03:06 AM)Jhowdy54 Wrote: Was hoping for a Drew Sample jump this year on the list.   IDK what to say on Sample at this point. The fact that Bengals didn't get a veteran TE via free agency, maybe tells me that the coaches see something in him.  I could see a 35rec 340yds 4TDs for Drew.

I was gonna mention Sample not so much predicting a breakout as hoping for one. Also hoping Tate can develop into the 3rd down/red zone weapon I think he can be.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 09:10 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He had 158 against Seattle.

The talent is clearly there. He just needs to clean up the drops, and stay healthy. Obviously the latter is a big if.

1 or 2 of those "Joe Burrow Death Stares" ought to fix the drops. If they don't, he won't be getting the ball. 
Dunlap, Hubbard and Lawson should all be able to put up huge numbers this year with Geno and DJ pushing the middle. I almost feel sorry for opposing QB's.... well, except for Rapistburger.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 08:33 AM)Sled21 Wrote: 1 or 2 of those "Joe Burrow Death Stares" ought to fix the drops. If they don't, he won't be getting the ball. 
Dunlap, Hubbard and Lawson should all be able to put up huge numbers this year with Geno and DJ pushing the middle. I almost feel sorry for opposing QB's.... well, except for Rapistburger.

This year is do or die for Ross because there is no way anyone is going to even entertain the idea that Burrow isn't doing his job to get the ball in his hands.  

I could see Burrow shutting the door on Ross pretty quickly.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 04:02 PM)J24 Wrote: 5.) Auden Tate WR/Flex TE- He's been underutilized since he's been here but I think that changes when he gets here. I see him taking Eiferts role this season and he will have a monster year.
2020 projected stats- 700 yards & 7 TDs
4.) John Ross- He was over drafted in 2017 but that doesn't mean he isn't any good. He shown break out ability at times during his career. His speed is a game changer when he is in the line up.
2020 projected stats- 850 yards & 8 TDs
3.) Germaine Pratt- one of the most encouraging signs at the end of last season was Pratts play. The kid's sideline to sideline speed looked next Level.
Projected stats- 110 Tackles (80 solo), 10 TFls, 5 PD, 2 sacks.
2.) Andrew Brown- He played more end the DT which was a mistake last season. However he impressed me when he was DT. Although his stats won't show it.  I think he plays a big time role as the Nickel DT in between Geno & Dunlap.
Projected Stats- 5 sacks, 12 QB Hits,  8 TFLs
1.) Carl Lawson- some would say he has already broken out but I think he his due for a superstar like season. In the last 8 games he had 4 sacks and 20 QB Hits. To me he is a guy that has shown he can be a huge game wrecker. However this season he is going to show that he is a DPOY candidate.
Projected Stats- 16 sacks, 36 QB Hits, and 12 TFLs.
Who are your breakout players? Who is on the list you agree with or disagree with?

Although I think some of your stats are a bit lofty...Like, if Pratt has 10 TFLs, 80 solo tackles, and 5 PD...he should probably be in the Pro Bowl.  Not that I think it can't happen, but the stats are a bit lofts.  He is an absolute breakout candidate, though, if he can continue on the path he finished last season.

Here are mine:

Tyler Boyd-  Sure, he is already a very solid WR2, but I think if Green is back and Ross stays healthy outside that Boyd will own the middle of the field.  Look at what Jefferson did with Burrow out of the slot (although to be fair, Green will be likely rotating in and out of the slot).  Boyd could be poised to have his best season by far.

Gio Bernard-  I said it last year, and whiffed.  So, I am not just playing the %s and saying Gio again, but I look at how comfortable Burrow is in the empty backfield, 5-man protections.  Gio could be in on more series and not just third down where is talents as a receiver were wasted because he was always staying in for pass protection.  This is more of what Green Bay always has done with Rogers, and (I know that is crazy praise) Burrow has that kind of vision and ability to slide around avoiding a free rusher to either find someone downfield or take the checkdown.  Gio can only make plays when he gets the ball and I don't mean when he gets it with a LB ready to kill him as in prior years.

Jessie Bates-  He had a disappointing year last year after a promising rookie campaign, but I think the improvements around him allow him to play more center field and I believe he has playmaking ability.  I hope to see more INTs out of him.

That's all I got....I did Ross, Hubbard, and Mixon last year if memory serves...
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 10:12 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Of the guys you named I like Pratt, Brown and Lawson who I think will flourish in a 3-4 hybrid. Pratt could be a great stack 
backer with his build, speed and ability at tackling and in pass coverage. Andrew Brown just fits as an End in a 3-4 and Law
is one of the best pass rushers in the league if he can stay healthy.

I know Hubbard has become a favorite around here and has put up good stats but he could really thrive. Hubbard. Rock On 

On Offense, my guy is Ross, he just needs to stay healthy and he is right now and he has already practiced with Burrow and
is healthy right now. A guy like Burrow could get Ross right mentally as well. I have backed Ross from the beginning and 
always said injuries are his biggest problems. We will see with this man, still rooting for him.

You are dead on about Hubbard, and I think the fact that he got 41 solo tackles last year (6 more than TJ Watt) shows his range.  I think he will thrive under this defense (having Reader collapse the middle helps, too) and he could get the same kind of sack numbers of a TJ Watt (14.5 LY).  

And you know I am also in Ross's camp.  Folks seem to only see his impact in his stats, but he forces defenses to change the way they defend the Bengals and the guys in the middle (previously Eifert and Boyd) get to eat more.  I think having Green on the field at the same time will REALLY open things up.  As we all have said numerous times, it comes down to staying healthy.  
Reply/Quote

It is too bad his rookie season ended with an injury instead of a steady climb a la Pratt and Jordan.

I am still so puzzled about him being drafted in Rd 2, even though he has very sure hands and is (supposedly) an excellent blocker.  This time off isn't going to help his development if it extends in to what would normally be camp.  He just showed very little last year. 
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 08:33 AM)Sled21 Wrote: 1 or 2 of those "Joe Burrow Death Stares" ought to fix the drops. If they don't, he won't be getting the ball. 

God, have you seen that pig?  He grew a beard as big as Santa Claus and he STILL couldn't hide his 6 chins.  Fat piece of crap.  I hope Reader and Geno collapse on him for both sides and he is hit so hard that he craps his pants on National TV.  It would be especially nice if it was a primetime game.  
Reply/Quote
Rodney Anderson.
His small sample in preseason showed you alot
Of things to like .
Makes guys in open field. He can accelerate.
For a,guy his size his feet are nimble.
The battle for #2 RB will be fun to watch

Auden Tate.
He averaged 14 YPC with bad QB play.
Better than Ross and Boyd who have more
Complete route trees.
I expect his role to expand and his route runnin
To be more complete

Darius Phillips.
This secondary is in dire need of a ballhawk.
They haven't had CBs since J-Jo and Hall that could
Take the ball away
Dennard and Dre simply could not do that enough
Phillips has more picks than WJ3.
Reply/Quote

He is my pick also.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 09:16 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: You are dead on about Hubbard, and I think the fact that he got 41 solo tackles last year (6 more than TJ Watt) shows his range.  I think he will thrive under this defense (having Reader collapse the middle helps, too) and he could get the same kind of sack numbers of a TJ Watt (14.5 LY).  

And you know I am also in Ross's camp.  Folks seem to only see his impact in his stats, but he forces defenses to change the way they defend the Bengals and the guys in the middle (previously Eifert and Boyd) get to eat more.  I think having Green on the field at the same time will REALLY open things up.  As we all have said numerous times, it comes down to staying healthy.  

Hubbard is another very underrated Bengal. People will not be able to ignore him for long and act like TJ Watt is better.

That is the thing about Ross is he just gives us another dimension if he is healthy and on the field. Have always said Defenses
will HAVE to account for that speed. Dude just needs to get his routes and hands together and be more consistent. I really think
a QB like Burrow will help him with this. Give Ross the death stare when he screws up.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 06:05 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: He used to be, in college.

Aside from the good return against Buffalo, he looked HORRENDOUS on returns last year, when he came back from injury.

His vision has seemingly disappeared, as he runs into crowds (literally all of his KO returns) and doesn't see others running into him (his INT return against Cleveland).

Wilson as returner and Erickson for Punts.

Here is how impressive Phillips was returnoing kick offs for the Bengals.  .  .  Less than a year later I had completely forgotten that he returned kicks for us last year.

Derp.

Erickson is a very solid punt return man.  
Reply/Quote