Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Breakdown: Why the Offense is Struggling
Good article.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/allbengals-insiders-plus/bengals-film-breakdown-why-offense-struggling-how-they-can-improve?utm_source=reddit.com
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2023, 10:47 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Good article.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/allbengals-insiders-plus/bengals-film-breakdown-why-offense-struggling-how-they-can-improve?utm_source=reddit.com

I was just getting ready to post this. Good catch. It is a very good breakdown of what's going on.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2023, 10:51 AM)Wyche Wrote: I was just getting ready to post this. Good catch. It is a very good breakdown of what's going on.

The tape comparing Burrow's mechanics/throws pre and post calf injury are pretty telling. 
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2023, 10:56 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The tape comparing Burrow's mechanics/throws pre and post calf injury are pretty telling. 

Very telling. I think we have our answer....they need to rest him.

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2023, 10:56 AM)Wyche Wrote: Very telling. I think we have our answer....they need to rest him.

Yeah, **** the pistol...just go hit the couch and heal up brother. 
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2023, 10:58 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Yeah, **** the pistol...just go hit the couch and heal up brother. 

Absolutely. He's hindering what they want to do. So, you either have to scrap your offense in week 5, or put someone out there that can at least try it healthy. To me, that's your only two options. I was wishy washy on those two scenarios before watching that, now I'm sold. Full disclosure, I was initially for letting Joe play through it, but I've seen enough. I feel like they should just sit him down and praise his grit, but tell him it's just not working. You need to heal.

Reply/Quote
Yep, it's pretty clear that Burrow's calf is having a MAJOR IMPACT on his ability to drive off the plant foot.

Here's a screenshot from the video from when he was healthy...
[Image: wHJWCmL.jpeg]

Versus when he's injured.  Notice how he has hardly ANY weight on his front foot, and LEANS/STEPS BACK after the throw...

[Image: trb51d4.jpeg]

[Image: fox9oQ3.jpeg]

Reply/Quote
I haven't read the article yet but will. However that pic isn't a good example because he threw that way because he couldn't step into it with the pressure in his face.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2023, 11:45 AM)jj22 Wrote: I haven't read the article yet but will. However that pic  isn't a good example because he threw that way because he couldn't step into it with the pressure in his face.

What pressure?  When he begins to throw there is nobody within 2 yards of him.

[Image: Gox5nSk.jpeg]

Also... his weight is ALREADY OFF his plant foot here (heel is raised), and he's not even close to completing the throwing motion... he isn't DRIVING off, AT ALL.
Reply/Quote
So you bust out a new pic and then ask what pressure as if that was the pic I was reacting to?

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Do the coaches know and see things outsiders don't see? I'm sure they do but sure seems like to most everyone that the Burrow O isn't working. From what little video i've watched of Browning he is a pretty mobile QB with a decent arm and accuracy. All his video is with the 2nd and 3rd O line so sure he isn't gonna look like JB from last year. I wish Zac would see reality and give Browning a shot till JB is healthy again.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2023, 11:53 AM)jj22 Wrote: So you bust out a new pic and then ask what pressure as if that was the pic I was reacting to?

There WAS NO PRESSURE.  He has hardly any weight on his back foot right from the start.  He's certainly NOT driving off the back foot as he should be.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2023, 11:56 AM)RegularGuy22 Wrote: Do the coaches know and see things outsiders don't see? I'm sure they do but sure seems like to most everyone that the Burrow O isn't working. From what little video i've watched of Browning he is a pretty mobile QB with a decent arm and accuracy. All his video is with the 2nd and 3rd O line so sure he isn't gonna look like JB from last year. I wish Zac would see reality and give Browning a shot till JB is healthy again.

Same here. If nothing else, Browning can run when the pocket collapses.

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2023, 11:56 AM)Tomkat Wrote: There WAS NO PRESSURE.  He has hardly any weight on his back foot right from the start.  He's certainly NOT driving off the back foot as he should be.

Yeah, the difference is pretty stark when you watch the video.

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2023, 11:58 AM)Wyche Wrote: Yeah, the difference is pretty stark when you watch the video.

Yes, it's really easy to capture a single frame showing one thing, when in reality the situation was completely different 0.3 seconds later.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2023, 11:25 AM)Tomkat Wrote: Yep, it's pretty clear that Burrow's calf is having a MAJOR IMPACT on his ability to drive off the plant foot.

Here's a screenshot from the video from when he was healthy...
[Image: wHJWCmL.jpeg]

Versus when he's injured.  Notice how he has hardly ANY weight on his front foot, and LEANS/STEPS BACK after the throw...

[Image: trb51d4.jpeg]

[Image: fox9oQ3.jpeg]

Yep

And it's not just this throw. If you slow down nearly every pass where he can plant the leg you can see way way more often than not he won't place much weight on that leg. It kills his velocity.

Put me firmly in the camp of sit Joe down.

But if he/they are determined to play him please run some pistol and give us a chance.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2023, 12:01 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yes, it's really easy to capture a single frame showing one thing, when in reality the situation was completely different 0.3 seconds later.

He meant the difference between the healthy and injured Joe videos, for what it's worth.
The bottom line is... when he doesn't have full weight on his back foot BEFORE he even releases the ball, it means he's not driving off of it as he should.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2023, 12:01 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yes, it's really easy to capture a single frame showing one thing, when in reality the situation was completely different 0.3 seconds later.

Does this look like a QB who is pushing/driving off his back foot?

[Image: PPCTQFv.jpeg]
Reply/Quote
The bigger issue with Burrow to me is his inability to get outside the pocket and extend plays and avoid pressure.

I just finished watching Kyle Kasys gamae film review and there were so many plays where Joe could have bounced outside the pocket to bye time and and extend plays and he just didn't even attempt it....leading to a sack.

Here's that video if youre interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3655&v=LDDQEE4Pot4&embeds_referring_euri=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2F&source_ve_path=MzY4NDIsMzY4NDIsMzY4NDIsMjg2NjY&feature=emb_logo
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2023, 11:45 AM)jj22 Wrote: I haven't read the article yet but will. However that pic  isn't a good example because he threw that way because he couldn't step into it with the pressure in his face.

Just warnin' ya, you're not going to like it. Dude is claiming Burrow's issues stem from his calf injury not form the beatings he's taken the last 2 and a half seasons.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote