Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Breaking: Cordy Glenn a Bengal!
(03-13-2018, 01:26 PM)Wyche Wrote: Hey, what's this?  Another solid move on the FOs part?  I can't read twitter here at work, but I assume the contract is incentive laden?  If so, that's a smart move on their part.  I think I mentioned something like that in Shake's thread.  People were concerned with his effort/locker room issues, but if the FO made it heavily incentive based, it would be a smart signing.  Low risk/high reward.

Here's Kat's ESPN link - http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-40017507-4

Kat Terrell Wrote:Only $300,000 of Bengals DT Chris Baker's 1-year, $3 million contract is actually guaranteed. He gets $1.5 million in base salary with a $300,000 signing bonus, a $500,000 roster bonus and a $50,000 workout bonus. $200,000 of the roster bonus is given to him if he is on the 53-man roster in Week 1, while he has additional roster bonuses of up to $300,000 if he is on the active 46-man roster ($18,750/game). He also has up to $600,000 in not likely to be earned playtime incentives available. His cap number is $2.4 million.

[Image: i?img=%2Fi%2Fcolumnists%2Ffull%2Fterrell...scale=crop]Katherine Terrell, ESPN Staff Writer
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2018, 05:27 PM)jj22 Wrote: Great move. We got our starting LT.

(03-12-2018, 05:36 PM)Andy2AJ Wrote: We control him for 4 more years also the 12 pick goes to buffalo we get their 21st

Checked bengals.com last night and saw this, slept very well afterward. :andy:

This is exactly what i wanted us to do, great job FO! Glenn is proven, better than any LT we could of got at 12 as the draft
is a crapshoot as i always say. I wanted us to get Solder but Glenn is a better run blocker and a solid pass protector. Couldn't
of opened up the Draft better honestly. Not even the start of FA and we got the one player i wanted already.

I think things might of changed around here. Pollack has some pull, bringing in his guy.

We get a Center at 21 or with our 2nd rounder and this team is right back in the Playoffs IMHO. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 01:28 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Here's Kat's ESPN link - http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-40017507-4

Thanks brother. :andy:

That sounds like a pretty damn shrewd way to fix any "attitude problems".  If he busts, no big deal.  If he balls out, you got a pretty sweet deal.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 01:21 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Dunno about that, honestly.

Kat Terrell tweeted out this morning that Baker's 1-year deal only has $300k guaranteed.
https://twitter.com/Kat_Terrell/status/973534504123092992

Plus, Vincent Rey's cap hit this season is $2.725 mill and he's a backup. So Baker could very well be the same.

1. The likelihood of Baker getting cut before the season opens is slim. Guaranteed money won't be a factor otherwise. The Bengals are known for not giving much guaranteed on contracts. Even Dalton and Green have less guaranteed than their peers.
2. The Bengals don't often spend $3 million in FA for depth.
3. Baker's history says he'll most likely be starting. He's a good player. Stop selling him short.

(03-13-2018, 01:21 PM)Wyche Wrote: Maybe.....or maybe Glasgow/Billings beats him out in camp?  Hell, if they get their heads outta their asses, MJ could compete there as well.  Anywho, at the very least, Baker IS solid depth, wouldn't you agree?

Nothing is ever fully guaranteed, but I'd be willing to bet he's starting come September. I'm not high on Glasgow or Billings, and I have a feeling the Bengals aren't either.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 01:13 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: As Truck would say...Stop it.  Cool

Baker will be starting. He's not a depth guy. 

^ I agree with this thinking to a degree.

- Glasgow, whom I loved last year, is a great rotational guy and is only a 2nd year player. I felt like he had flashes of outstanding play mixed with some rookie hiccups.

- To me, Billings flashed less than Glasgow, but he is very young in age and there is some upside there.

Baker is underrated and had a tough season in Tampa... where a lot of guys have gone and kind of stunk lately. I see Baker as a win now signing with the win later guys like Billings and Glasgow rotating in.

I am giving the Bengals off season an C as of right now. Marvin was an F. Player moves an A+ so far. Draft shaping up to be an A+ (I LOVE moving back in the first with this draft class). Assistant coaches an A+. 
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 01:36 PM)PDub80 Wrote: ^ I agree with this thinking to a degree.

- Glasgow, whom I loved last year, is a great rotational guy and is only a 2nd year player. I felt like he had flashes of outstanding play mixed with some rookie hiccups.

- To me, Billings flashed less than Glasgow, but he is very young in age and there is some upside there.

Baker is underrated and had a tough season in Tampa... where a lot of guys have gone and kind of stunk lately. I see Baker as a win now signing with the win later guys like Billings and Glasgow rotating in.

I am giving the Bengals off season an C as of right now. Marvin was an F. Player moves an A+ so far. Draft shaping up to be an A+ (I LOVE moving back in the first with this draft class). Assistant coaches an A+. 

That would be my view as well.

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 01:34 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1. The likelihood of Baker getting cut before the season opens is slim. Guaranteed money won't be a factor otherwise. The Bengals are known for not giving much guaranteed on contracts. Even Dalton and Green have less guaranteed than their peers.
3. Baker's history says he'll most likely be starting. He's a good player. Stop selling him short.

Nothing is ever fully guaranteed, but I'd be willing to bet he's starting come September. I'm not high on Glasgow or Billings, and I have a feeling the Bengals aren't either.

I wasn't selling him short. I think he's a good player. But the only reason I think he might not be starting is because this team, I believe, will still want to get Billings a chance.
Everyone was high on Billings before last year, then after just one season (of which he was coming off a big injury), people have already decided he's not good.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 01:34 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1. The likelihood of Baker getting cut before the season opens is slim. Guaranteed money won't be a factor otherwise. The Bengals are known for not giving much guaranteed on contracts. Even Dalton and Green have less guaranteed than their peers.

While i like the Baker signing now after going back and forth i bet Billings surprises you and becomes the starter.

He just needed a year for that injury to heal, similar to when Geno tore his ACL and he wasn't even close to the same player.

One of these days Billings will show why he was my favorite DT in that Draft.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 01:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: While i like the Baker signing now after going back and forth i bet Billings surprises you and becomes the starter.

He just needed a year for that injury to heal, similar to when Geno tore his ACL and he wasn't even close to the same player.

NFL.com's player comparison when Billings was drafted was...Chris Baker.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/andrew-billings?id=2555267

Also, people either didn't realize or forgot Billings came to Baylor as an offensive lineman and switched to DT while in college. He still has a lot of growing to do. There's a reason many projected him in the late-first to early-second range leading up to the 2016 draft.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 01:23 PM)Wyche Wrote: I only keep it PC with posters I like. Mellow

As to the deal with Dalton, when he has time, he is more often prone to have good games these days than he is abominations.  So, the move to solidify LT is a bit more of an improvement than you think.  Not to mention the help it will provide the run game.

The run game improvement will be a HUGE help to Andy and the defense. Absolutely HUGE. This will give him time, as you mentioned, as well as help with clock management and hopefully give the defense better field position and rest.

Notice in that Browns game clip that he was under duress in quite a few of those plays. That's going to happen no matter how good a line is. But being able to run block helps set a rhythm and dictate pace. Rhythm, this past season, was especially lacking.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2018, 05:31 PM)Andy2AJ Wrote: Please tell me about him

He's been injured A LOT the last two years. Very good when healthy, unlike Ogbuehi who isn't good when healthy and has also been injured a lot.

Glenn is very big, 345lbs, he's Andre's size more or less. He also has ankle problems like Andre had.

I'm shocked that we'd take on that salary for a guy with that much injury issues the last couple of years. Oh, wait, no I'm not.

According to Spotrac Glenn is now the 3rd highest salary on the Bengals. The team could have easily kept Whit for that money.

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 01:46 PM)ochocincos Wrote: NFL.com's player comparison when Billings was drafted was...Chris Baker.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/andrew-billings?id=2555267

Also, people either didn't realize or forgot Billings came to Baylor as an offensive lineman and switched to DT while in college. He still has a lot of growing to do. There's a reason many projected him in the late-first to early-second range leading up to the 2016 draft.

Wow, didn't know that about Billings being compared to Baker.

Billings is just so strong when he is healthy and he is deceivingly athletic for a big man, his lateral quickness was great at Baylor
and he just jumped off the screen whenever i watched that team. Just manhandled people like Geno does.

Dude is also really young, i agree he has a lot of growing up to do but once he does he has the physical traits to be very good.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 01:55 PM)BengalChris Wrote: He's been injured A LOT the last two years. Very good when healthy, unlike Ogbuehi who isn't good when healthy and has also been injured a lot.

Glenn is very big, 345lbs, he's Andre's size more or less. He also has ankle problems like Andre had.

I'm shocked that we'd take on that salary for a guy with that much injury issues the last couple of years. Oh, wait, no I'm not.

According to Spotrac Glenn is now the 3rd highest salary on the Bengals. The team could have easily kept Whit for that money.

I don't think he has chronic foot issues like old Willie Anderson did. I think he had minor issues that kept flaring up without proper rest and surgery.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 02:00 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I don't think he has chronic foot issues like old Willie Anderson did. I think he had minor issues that kept flaring up without proper rest and surgery.

Good, his ankle injuries are my only concern with Glenn. He is instantly our best O-lineman when healthy.

Great move i must say once again. I know you don't like Dalton PDub but this sure will help the guy out. :andy:
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 01:13 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: As Truck would say...Stop it.

Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin

I wanted to pull it out with that Cooper guy, but someone beat me to the punch Sad
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 02:10 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin

I wanted to pull it out with that Cooper guy, but someone beat me to the punch Sad

Pretty impressive having a catch phrase.  That's movie star and super hero stuff right there.   Which of these are you?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 01:49 PM)PDub80 Wrote: The run game improvement will be a HUGE help to Andy and the defense. Absolutely HUGE. This will give him time, as you mentioned, as well as help with clock management and hopefully give the defense better field position and rest.

Notice in that Browns game clip that he was under duress in quite a few of those plays. That's going to happen no matter how good a line is. But being able to run block helps set a rhythm and dictate pace. Rhythm, this past season, was especially lacking.

Agree wholeheartedly.  It really will help the defense out a ton in the 4th quarter with fresher legs if we can chew up some yards and clock in the first 3.

I agree here as well.  I just feel he had gotten better because he began to trust his protection more, and it culminated in 2015.  I think he actually played well in 2014 too, but the skill positions were hurt a lot that season, so production numbers slumped.  I saw him more comfortable in the pocket in '14 through the start of '16 (think about the season opener at NYJ) until a few games in.  I believe he lost that confidence, and '17 was a dumpster fire up front.  That is something he absolutely must overcome, get his internal clock set back to at least zero, and get his confidence back in his blockers and himself.  Hopefully, solidifying the line, with a now legit run game, addresses some of this and gets him back in the rhythm he is capable of getting in.

Now they need to replace Bodine, and this line could be pretty damn good.  That's a HUGE step from last season if it comes to pass. 

Reply/Quote
If Glenn would have gotten the surgery after 2016 he would have been okay in 2017. He didn't and it cost him his 2017 season. He got the surgery so that's something to hang your hat on.

I'm not sure why people compare him to Eifert who we all hold our breath every time he takes a hit. Eifert can't stay healthy and needs to retire. Big difference. But I understand the concerns. It's a risk, but Andre rebounded from foot issues. And all we really need him for is 1 year. There's not much difference between 12-21 picks wise so we really didn't give up much. And who knows if a player we wanted gets close to 21 we may trade up. Who can say for certain what won't happen after this trade. Even I have to bite my tongue from here on out on what the Bengals will/won't do.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 01:39 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I wasn't selling him short. I think he's a good player. But the only reason I think he might not be starting is because this team, I believe, will still want to get Billings a chance.
Everyone was high on Billings before last year, then after just one season (of which he was coming off a big injury), people have already decided he's not good.

(03-13-2018, 01:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: While i like the Baker signing now after going back and forth i bet Billings surprises you and becomes the starter.

I respect yall's opinions. If Billings starts over Baker, I'll eat crow when it happens.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 02:14 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Not sure where wolf got his grades but in 2016 Glenn earned a 82.2 pff grade good for 21st in the league. Also had the 10rh highest pass blocking efficiency at 96.4 with 17 qb pressures all year.

Those weren't numbers for Glenn, they were for Ogbuehi
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote