Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Breaking: Cordy Glenn a Bengal!
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/03/12/bengals-trade-cordy-glenn-ripples-down-offensive-line-draft-and-contracts/418487002/
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 02:15 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote:
I respect yall's opinions
. If Billings starts over Baker, I'll eat crow when it happens.

.....but you told me to stop it.....I guess my opinion isn't respected by you. Sad Cry

LMAO

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 02:13 PM)McC Wrote: Pretty impressive having a catch phrase.  That's movie star and super hero stuff right there.   Which of these are you?

None, sadly Sad
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 09:40 AM)Wyche Wrote: I hope it does light a fire under his ass.  Pipe dream here, but maybe with a new coach and some competition he and Fisher will improve greatly.

You could have knocked me over with a feather when I saw this.  He's been injured quite a bit lately, but if he can stay healthy, we just got a damn fine LT.  It's a *little* bit risky, but a very good move by the FO, and didn't really hamper us that badly to do it.  I gotta say, I guess we were quick to jump the gun on calling out a lack of aggressive moves to right the ship.  

Also, this sure doesn't look good for Ogbuehi......you trade for a guy of this caliber, who graded 28 points higher than you while playing hurt, and they signed Baker off the street.  If this don't light a fire under his ass, nothing will!

EDIT:  Shit.....not Baker, Hart.....lol.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 01:55 PM)BengalChris Wrote: He's been injured A LOT the last two years. Very good when healthy, unlike Ogbuehi who isn't good when healthy and has also been injured a lot.

Glenn is very big, 345lbs, he's Andre's size more or less. He also has ankle problems like Andre had.

I'm shocked that we'd take on that salary for a guy with that much injury issues the last couple of years. Oh, wait, no I'm not.

According to Spotrac Glenn is now the 3rd highest salary on the Bengals. The team could have easily kept Whit for that money.

He had bone spurs in his ankle. He had surgery to remove the bone spurs. He no longer has bone spurs........ It's not like he was tearing ligaments or anything.....
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 02:48 PM)Sled21 Wrote: He had bone spurs in his ankle. He had surgery to remove the bone spurs. He no longer has bone spurs........ It's not like he was tearing ligaments or anything.....

Exactly. It is one injury. The only reason the Bills were okay with a trade was the cap number and they NEED to clear cap.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 01:39 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Everyone was high on Billings before last year, then after just one season (of which he was coming off a big injury), people have already decided he's not good.

Billings received more hype than he deserved, but I think he may have still been recovering from his injury last season.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 03:03 PM)Joelist Wrote: Exactly. It is one injury. The only reason the Bills were okay with a trade was the cap number and they NEED to clear cap.

That and they got a good replacement in the draft last year who was doing a fine job at a much more reasonable price.

Plus this gives them the ammo needed to move into top 5 to get a qb

Glenn was expendable because of the emergence last season of Dion Dawkins, a second-round draft pick out of Temple who started 11 games at left tackle.

Dawkins ranked 10th in Pro Football Focus' grading of the league's left tackles as a rookie.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 09:30 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Does Westerman have any experience at center?

I know Boling does. This makes a Glenn, Hernandez, Boling, Westerman, Fisher line make the most sense.

If Brown falls to the 2nd, which is a real possibility, I can see Brown being a Bengal. I’m not ready to give up on Fisher yet. OG I’m indifferent towards.

Here is Westerman's 2016 Scouting report:

"OVERVIEW

Westerman was a top national recruit who attended Auburn for his first two years, losing most of his redshirt freshman season due to injury before deciding to return to his home state of Arizona to finish his career. He excelled last fall in his first season as a starter for the Sun Devils, earning honorable mention All-Pac-12 notice for his stout play and mobility at left guard. Westerman's play his senior campaign did not disappoint, as his attitude, stoutness, mobility, and solid technique made him a second-team all-conference performer.
ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS
 Outstanding athleticism and movement skills. Is quick off the snap and able to beat defenders to the spot. Can get to difficult cross­-face blocks using timing, technique and footwork. At his best when on the move. When pulling or climbing to second level, has a terrific connect rate against moving targets in space. True technician. Plays with desired balance and base and his feet rarely stop chopping and working after contact. Approaches target with bend and rolls hips up under him after contact. Has massive bear paws for hands and is a weight ­room freak daddy. Has hand placement and upper body strength to lockout pass rushers if he gets extension first. Father was a three-year starter at guard for Arizona State. Should test off the charts at the combine.
WEAKNESSES
 While he moves stacks of weights with ease, his play strength doesn't always match that when matched up against interior power players. Short yardage push will not be an NFL strength. May need more mass on his frame to handle NFL defensive tackles. When asked to base block, becomes more of a stalemate blocker than block­-winner. Could use a more authoritative punch in pass protection. I question whether he can effectively re­direct interior pass rushers once they get into the edge on him.
DRAFT PROJECTION
 Rounds 2 or 3
NFL COMPARISON
 Alex Mack
BOTTOM LINE
 Quick-­twitch, athletic guard who comes from a football family and has been working on his strength and athleticism from a young age. Offensive line coaches will appreciate Westerman's technical savvy and zone scheme teams will covet his fluidity and blocking ability on the move. A move to center is not out of the question thanks to his body type and quickness and his draft stock may be helped by a potential ability to offer roster depth at several offensive line positions."

BTW, Bengals drafted him in the fifth round. He was compared to Alex Mack.  SO I would assume he could play Center.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
I am always rough on the front office because they normally deserve it. This seems to be a solid move to actually try to improve, I love it. If he’s fully healed, this is a great deal. If he isn’t and only plays half of the time, he will still be a big improvement over Oturd. Think about that, he’s better even on one leg. If he is hurt all year and is somehow a disaster, he can be dumped at years end. I really appreciate Mike at least trying to do something that gives the impression that winning matters. It matters to me as a fan. Legitimately trying gives us fans real hope. I rarely say this but good job Mike Brown!
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 02:48 PM)Sled21 Wrote: He had bone spurs in his ankle. He had surgery to remove the bone spurs. He no longer has bone spurs........ It's not like he was tearing ligaments or anything.....

Thanks for this Sled, needed to hear some updates on Glenn's condition. This makes me very happy. ThumbsUp

(03-13-2018, 03:03 PM)Joelist Wrote: Exactly. It is one injury. The only reason the Bills were okay with a trade was the cap number and they NEED to clear cap.

Plus it is more likely they can pick up a decent QB at 12 than 21...

Or they can even trade up some more.

(03-13-2018, 03:16 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: That and they got a good replacement in the draft last year who was doing a fine job at a much more reasonable price.

Plus this gives them the ammo needed to move into top 5 to get a qb

Glenn was expendable because of the emergence last season of Dion Dawkins, a second-round draft pick out of Temple who started 11 games at left tackle.

Dawkins ranked 10th in Pro Football Focus' grading of the league's left tackles as a rookie.

Good stuff Bengal Bug, better move by the minute. Cool
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 03:25 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Here is Westerman's 2016 Scouting report:

"OVERVIEW

Westerman was a top national recruit who attended Auburn for his first two years, losing most of his redshirt freshman season due to injury before deciding to return to his home state of Arizona to finish his career. He excelled last fall in his first season as a starter for the Sun Devils, earning honorable mention All-Pac-12 notice for his stout play and mobility at left guard. Westerman's play his senior campaign did not disappoint, as his attitude, stoutness, mobility, and solid technique made him a second-team all-conference performer.
ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS
 Outstanding athleticism and movement skills. Is quick off the snap and able to beat defenders to the spot. Can get to difficult cross­-face blocks using timing, technique and footwork. At his best when on the move. When pulling or climbing to second level, has a terrific connect rate against moving targets in space. True technician. Plays with desired balance and base and his feet rarely stop chopping and working after contact. Approaches target with bend and rolls hips up under him after contact. Has massive bear paws for hands and is a weight ­room freak daddy. Has hand placement and upper body strength to lockout pass rushers if he gets extension first. Father was a three-year starter at guard for Arizona State. Should test off the charts at the combine.
WEAKNESSES
 While he moves stacks of weights with ease, his play strength doesn't always match that when matched up against interior power players. Short yardage push will not be an NFL strength. May need more mass on his frame to handle NFL defensive tackles. When asked to base block, becomes more of a stalemate blocker than block­-winner. Could use a more authoritative punch in pass protection. I question whether he can effectively re­direct interior pass rushers once they get into the edge on him.
DRAFT PROJECTION
 Rounds 2 or 3
NFL COMPARISON
 Alex Mack
BOTTOM LINE
 Quick-­twitch, athletic guard who comes from a football family and has been working on his strength and athleticism from a young age. Offensive line coaches will appreciate Westerman's technical savvy and zone scheme teams will covet his fluidity and blocking ability on the move. A move to center is not out of the question thanks to his body type and quickness and his draft stock may be helped by a potential ability to offer roster depth at several offensive line positions."

BTW, Bengals drafted him in the fifth round.  He was compared to Alex Mack.  SO I would assume he could play Center.  

Nice Psych. Always thought Westerman was a steal in the 5th round. Excited to see what Pollack can do with him.

If he can make the move to Center it would be great. He is a very good pass protector unlike Bodine.
Reply/Quote

And Dion Dawkins did (much) better than expected at LT while Glenn was out, especially for a rookie. Many people pegged Dawkins at RT or OG.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
This helps a lot, especially if it means the Bengals "don't have the money" to re-sign Bodine. If healthy, this is a big upgrade to LT. Hopefully Mike Brown will call up his buddy in Dallas and fleece him for Ced (if we got a new towel boy, we would be fleecing them). I'm also hoping this means Andre Smith isn't coming back either. Grab a C in the first, a T in the second, and see what we have in Westerman. I think Glenn-Boling-Draft Pick-Westerman-Draft Pick looks a whole lot better than last year.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 01:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: While i like the Baker signing now after going back and forth i bet Billings surprises you and becomes the starter.

He just needed a year for that injury to heal, similar to when Geno tore his ACL and he wasn't even close to the same player.

One of these days Billings will show why he was my favorite DT in that Draft.

Agreed.

Getting him in the 4th round was viewed as a steal by many. He was supposed to be  similar to Geno, in terms of strength and penetration.

Interestingly, he was said to be comparable to Chris Baker.....

This is the year that both Billings and Ogbuehi have to show their promise, since they are a full season removed from injuries.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 06:28 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: This helps a lot, especially if it means the Bengals "don't have the money" to re-sign Bodine. If healthy, this is a big upgrade to LT. Hopefully Mike Brown will call up his buddy in Dallas and fleece him for Ced (if we got a new towel boy, we would be fleecing them). I'm also hoping this means Andre Smith isn't coming back either. Grab a C in the first, a T in the second, and see what we have in Westerman. I think Glenn-Boling-Draft Pick-Westerman-Draft Pick looks a whole lot better than last year.

Would be all for this, i mean i am not against bringing Andre back on a one year deal as insurance but Drafting a guy like
Orlando Brown might not be a bad idea even he was pathetic at the Combine. He played well at Oklahoma and didn't give
up a sack last year. We would probably have the biggest OT's in the NFL lol

(03-13-2018, 07:28 PM)XsandOs Wrote: Agreed.

Getting him in the 4th round was viewed as a steal by many. He was supposed to be  similar to Geno, in terms of strength and penetration.

Interestingly, he was said to be comparable to Chris Baker.....

This is the year that both Billings and Ogbuehi have to show their promise, since they are a full season removed from injuries.

I wanted Billings in the first that year, that is how much i liked him. His strength is extremely rare and he just jumped off
the screen at me at Baylor. Ogbuehi will either be the backup LT or be cut is what i see happening, don't think he has any
promise especially after us bringing in Cordy Glenn as our LT. Og cannot play anything else and is even bad there.

Too tall and lanky to play Guard and not strong enough to play RT.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 09:20 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Yes, I think they would...

More likely, though, is he is gone, they slide again and get Orlando Brown for RT.

That guy may not be able to bench much (he has incredibly long arms...it matters) but he can hit a guy from a mile away and his beef at RT paired next to Redmond would make third and short a much more appealing situation for the Bengals.  

If the Bengals could slide again in Rd 1 to a team that really covets a player like Lamar Jackson, and get an additional 2nd round pick, I would do it in a heartbeat and draft Brown.  

Sissy finesse line, dead.  

I wouldn't pick OT Brown in any rd....
he's fat as a whale & doesn't care about football....
only 14 reps.....
WTF..!!!
hasn't he ever lifted weights...?  
maybe just donuts & soda....
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 09:47 AM)ochocincos Wrote: So you really think Redmond (or Westerman) would be a safer choice than a 1st round interior OL pick?
While I thought both Westerman and Redmond showed well at the end of the year, I wouldn't want to make them both incumbent starters. Just one at most.

If the Bengals were really wanting to go all-in though on OL, Hernandez/Wynn at 21, Price/Ragnow at 46. But then you're not addressing any other spot until Rd 3 or later, which I'm not sure the Bengals would wait to do.

There is something about rookies that so many people don't realize.  They're spent.  They go through their seasons, bowl games, and then immediately join a tough regimen for training for the combine.  A few weeks after that, they are heading to OTAs.  

So many rookies are just worn out their first year, especially linemen.  I think Redmond and Westerman have built up their strength and know what is expected of them.  I think they deserve a shot.  Draft other linemen?  Sure, but I would address the RT position and LB before going that early on an interior lineman on offense.  I do like Ragnow in Rd 2 or 3, but only if they are unwilling to look at Westerman as an option to push (out) Blodine.  
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 10:37 AM)Wyche Wrote: Some people will look for anything to whine about the QB. Ninja

It seems the Bills management agreed with me, trying to replace him during the season and then booting him after it.  
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 07:48 PM)Steve Wrote: I wouldn't pick OT Brown in any rd....
he's fat as a whale & doesn't care about football....
only 14 reps.....
WTF..!!!
hasn't he ever lifted weights...?  
maybe just donuts & soda....

Ever watched his film, from...ya know...the actual game that he will be paid to play?  

Must not have. 
Reply/Quote