Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breaking: Marquis Flowers traded
It gives the bengals another chip at the table next year. See another guy they like in the 6th, trade 2 7s to get him. Or a 6 and 7 for another 5, whatever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Thanks again Jim.

Flowers has speed and can cover. He made some good tackles last Preseason but Jordan Evans looks clearly better.

Nickerson does look slow but Dhani Jones was no burner and was a brain back there which is a bigger deal than some realize.

It was Bell that got burned on the TD or am i wrong?
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 10:54 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Thanks for reading and sharing.

Sorry for late reply. It's been a ridiculous 36 hours.

@rezolve11 - He's going to be the best player on their roster this season.

Not likely. I mean, he’ll likely play early on special teams. Flowers does have plus speed. But he had all last year and this camp and ended up getting beat out by a couple undrafted free agent rookies.

@Luvnit2 - My only issue is a 7th round pick from the Pats is just like a FA almost as the pick likely is #-28-32 in round 7. Of course the Pats will also make him a star. I just hate helping NE get better for no cost really.

Think about it this way: if the Bengals keep Chris Smith, they give up their own seventh rounder. So now you get one back. Also, Marvin admitted they were going to cut Flowers. So, they ended up getting a pick for a guy they were just going to release.

@WeezyBengal - Why wouldnt the Pats wait until he was cut? They could have picked him up off the trash heap

Marvin didn’t really know either. He assumed he felt Flowers wouldn’t get to them in the waiver process.

@Nati Bengals - Hope this doesn't mean Nickerson makes the team. 

I think it opens up a spot for him on the 53 while Burfict is out. Remember, someone would have to get released when Burfict comes back.

Bumped
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 09:56 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: My only issue is a 7th round pick from the Pats is just like a FA almost as the pick likely is #-28-32 in round 7. Of course the Pats will also make him a star. I just hate helping NE get better for no cost really.

If it helps we will have 4 more 7th round picks next year when Comp picks are handed out knowing our luck.
Reply/Quote
Being serious though, it is nice to see us get something for nothing for a change. I'm sure he was going to get cut. 7th RD pick is fine with me, just another pick to bundle if we want to move up. As for the question why the Pats didn't just wait till he was cut to pick him up? Well isn't there a waiver wire order of some type giving teams dibs first. If it's like the draft order the Pats probably never would have had a chance at him unless 3/4 of the teams passed on him. Is this correct.
Reply/Quote
Backup for NE and help with STs.. they wouldn't have gotten him on waivers anyway.. we get the 7th and though most 7th rounders don't make it many do. Just one less CFA to try to get... 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Flowers is terrible. I never saw what you guys saw in him. He looked soft, was always injured did nothing for me.
Reply/Quote
Not a game changing move.

But it is value (something for nothing) and will take that all day.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 09:56 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: My only issue is a 7th round pick from the Pats is just like a FA almost as the pick likely is #-28-32 in round 7. Of course the Pats will also make him a star. I just hate helping NE get better for no cost really.

Better than cutting him.

There's still diamonds out there at that point. Vontaze was undrafed.
[Image: tumblr_ohmzy7WynD1s05wxzo1_400.gif]
Reply/Quote

Better than cutting him.

[Image: tumblr_ohmzy7WynD1s05wxzo1_400.gif]
Reply/Quote
If it's like the draft order the Pats probably never would have had a chance at him unless 3/4 of the teams passed on him. Is this correct.

Yeah. Flowers, having a few years of special teams film on him, is a guy who would get claimed over say, an undrafted rookie. The Pats run a similar scheme to Bengals, so Flowers could jump in right away on special teams.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2017, 11:58 AM)CinciOmega Wrote: Better than cutting him.

While true, that wasn't due to hidden gem status or anything, it was due to behaviour issues.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 09:54 AM)ochocincos Wrote: 7th rounder next year.

Which is like swapping for a good seat at a movie nobody really wants to see.   We get a Borderline guy ahead of the Undrafted FA rush.

Seems to say we had enough LB's and the Pats had a slot on spec teams.
Reply/Quote
I looked at the Bengals’ 7th round draft picks going back to 2000.  I found two good players: T.J. Houshmandzadeh in 2001 and Jonathan Fanene in 2005.
Reply/Quote