Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breaking: Marquis Flowers traded
(08-29-2017, 10:42 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Why wouldnt the Pats wait until he was cut? They could have picked him up off the trash heap.

If he made the roster, then they could have made the trade. Doesnt make much sense...

New England is last on the waiver food chain.  They probably thought someone else would claim him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 11:01 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: How many 7th round picks make our roster? That is my point.

Well it certainly looks like flowers wasn't gonna make the roster. A 7th next year is better than nothing which is what we get if we cut him....and if you're only worried about making the pats better, at least they had to give up a 7th rounder instead of getting him for free after we cut him
Reply/Quote
Good move. Essentially getting their 7th round pick back from the Chris Smith trade.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
I'll never forget when Flowers went on a Twitter tirade towards people who didn't like Floyd Mayweather. They brought up his assault charges against women. Flowers response was those were false. His proof? Women currently hang out with him and women would never hang out with a woman beater.

Grade A logic there.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 09:24 AM)jowczarski Wrote: Details:
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/08/29/cincinnati-bengals-trade-linebacker-marquis-flowers-new-england-patriots/611225001/

Thanks for the update Jim.

Always liked Flowers but Jordan Evans was probably going to make the team ahead of him anyways.

They are a lot alike except Evans is younger and has shown a lot more this Preseason.

The Patriots might be able to do something with Flowers, he must be a happy man.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 03:52 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I'll never forget when Flowers went on a Twitter tirade towards people who didn't like Floyd Mayweather. They brought up his assault charges against women. Flowers response was those were false. His proof? Women currently hang out with him and women would never hang out with a woman beater.

Grade A logic there.

Wow, just wow. Never heard this before.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 11:25 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Well it certainly looks like flowers wasn't gonna make the roster. A 7th next year is better than nothing which is what we get if we cut him....and if you're only worried about making the pats better, at least they had to give up a 7th rounder instead of getting him for free after we cut him

(08-29-2017, 11:30 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Good move. Essentially getting their 7th round pick back from the Chris Smith trade.

Same way i think about it. Good move, the Pats could of got him for nothing.

Except as Whatever said they are the last team on the waiver wire.
Reply/Quote
Going to be fun watching Flowers become an All-Pro and sporting a SB ring within 12 months.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 10:42 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Why wouldnt the Pats wait until he was cut? They could have picked him up off the trash heap.

If he made the roster, then they could have made the trade. Doesnt make much sense...

It stated in the article that NE didn't think they would have a chance to claim him due to where they were positioned in waiver priority, so they pulled the trigger.
Reply/Quote
Got a draft pick for a guy that was underwhelming and was going to be cut anyway.

It's a win.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
Hope this doesn't mean Nickerson makes the team. Looking like a slower Maualuga..

Burfict minter vigil rey evans and lawson as our 6 LBs. Dawson looking like a long shot. I guess they go with UDFA Bell over Dawson if the Burfict suspension holds
Reply/Quote
So we traded him for Smith?

Good deal IMO.
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 10:12 AM)Synric Wrote: Meh let's them snag a guy that might go somewhere else as an UDFA.

Exactly. For a guy (Flowers) that wouldn't make the roster? Solid move. Nothing to throw a parade over, but solid.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I like it, but wish we could have done something that had an immediate impact.

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 07:39 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I like it, but wish we could have done something that had an immediate impact.

Immediate impact would be nice but can't get too much return on a guy that everyone seems to know you are going to cut anyways. Getting anything is a win.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 07:28 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Exactly. For a guy (Flowers) that wouldn't make the roster? Solid move. Nothing to throw a parade over, but solid.

(I forgot Flowers was a thing tbh) 
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 09:35 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Bill Belichick sees what others cannot see.

Yep, just like that Pro-Bowler, First Team All Pro Kony Ealy that he traded for.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 09:56 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: My only issue is a 7th round pick from the Pats is just like a FA almost as the pick likely is #-28-32 in round 7. Of course the Pats will also make him a star. I just hate helping NE get better for no cost really.

Flowers was clearly not going to make the Bengals roster, so why not take a pick instead of nothing?

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2017, 09:56 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: My only issue is a 7th round pick from the Pats is just like a FA almost as the pick likely is #-28-32 in round 7. Of course the Pats will also make him a star. I just hate helping NE get better for no cost really.

That pick still happens before the comp picks.  Not glamorous, but still getting something for a guy that was likely to be cut.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Thanks for reading and sharing.

Sorry for late reply. It's been a ridiculous 36 hours.

@rezolve11 - He's going to be the best player on their roster this season.

Not likely. I mean, he’ll likely play early on special teams. Flowers does have plus speed. But he had all last year and this camp and ended up getting beat out by a couple undrafted free agent rookies.

@Luvnit2 - My only issue is a 7th round pick from the Pats is just like a FA almost as the pick likely is #-28-32 in round 7. Of course the Pats will also make him a star. I just hate helping NE get better for no cost really.

Think about it this way: if the Bengals keep Chris Smith, they give up their own seventh rounder. So now you get one back. Also, Marvin admitted they were going to cut Flowers. So, they ended up getting a pick for a guy they were just going to release.

@WeezyBengal - Why wouldnt the Pats wait until he was cut? They could have picked him up off the trash heap

Marvin didn’t really know either. He assumed he felt Flowers wouldn’t get to them in the waiver process.

@Nati Bengals - Hope this doesn't mean Nickerson makes the team. 

I think it opens up a spot for him on the 53 while Burfict is out. Remember, someone would have to get released when Burfict comes back.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote