Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Breaking: No extension for Eifert
No last minute deal for the tight end.
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/09/09/cincinnati-bengals-tyler-eifert-no-contract-extension/649447001/
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
I'm cool with this. He needs to prove he can handle playing through an entire season before showing him the money. Besides, if it comes down to it who else would get the franchise tag?
Reply/Quote
Between the way the NFL TE market has been blown up (Gresham $7m/yr, Jack Doyle $6.5m/yr, Charles Clay $7.6m/yr, Dwayne Allen $7.3m/yr, etc) and the fact that Eifert was barely healthy last year while making only two starts. Then add on his offseason back surgery and current knee tenitis, there was no way that the Bengals should have given him a long term deal.

Let him play on his 5th year option, and if he plays 14+ games, tag him. Then figure it out from there based off his tagged season.

Eifert has missed 27 games in 4 years.
Bob Sanders missed 25 games in his first 4 years.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Never, ever............ever, ever, ever use Eifert and Breaking in the same sentence.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I can see Eifert getting away a lot easier than Burfict. Still don't understand the rush on him at all. I would have waited on both players.

I guess we can franchise Eifert though.

Obviously i'll be watching my pick (Howard) down in Tampa with great interest for chits and giggles and possibly misery.

Reply/Quote
They will pay him and have he franchise tag if needed.

Can't see them letting him walk.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2017, 01:01 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: They will pay him and have he franchise tag if needed.  

Can't see them letting him walk.

I don't know about that.

That franchise tag number will be pretty high and he can't stay healthy.  Who does he think is going to pay him big money?

We have a few young guys in Kroft and Uzomah that might at least hold us over until we find a FA or draft someone, or they might prove to be good enough because they haven't been horrible.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2017, 01:28 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I don't know about that.

That franchise tag number will be pretty high and he can't stay healthy.  Who does he think is going to pay him big money?

We have a few young guys in Kroft and Uzomah that might at least hold us over until we find a FA or draft someone, or they might prove to be good enough because they haven't been horrible.

The franchise money won't be far off what he will get paid..in fact it might even be less than what he would get on the open market.  It is a viable option if we don't get a longer deal done

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(09-10-2017, 01:28 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I don't know about that.

Yeah, Kroft and Uzomah can't stay healthy enough to fully develop to starter quality.  I see the Bengals drafting a TE with a high pick, next year, as they tag Eifert.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2017, 12:00 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Between the way the NFL TE market has been blown up (Gresham $7m/yr, Jack Doyle $6.5m/yr, Charles Clay $7.6m/yr, Dwayne Allen $7.3m/yr, etc) and the fact that Eifert was barely healthy last year while making only two starts. Then add on his offseason back surgery and current knee tenitis, there was no way that the Bengals should have given him a long term deal.

Let him play on his 5th year option, and if he plays 14+ games, tag him. Then figure it out from there based off his tagged season.

Eifert has missed 27 games in 4 years.
Bob Sanders missed 25 games in his first 4 years.

MLJ missed 22 games in 4 years and many tantrums were thrown when he didn't get big money in Cincy. Just sayin. 

A lot hinges on this season. If he plays close to a full season, then he'll have 3 seasons out of 5 where he played at least 13 games. Suddenly his career wouldn't look so bad. Especially at a position that sees a shit ton of injuries (something people on here like to ignore).

I will give you that the TE market is a little worrisome. I'm not sure why teams are investing so much in that position when injuries are so common there. That said, the salary cap has skyrocketed since 2012 and some positions are benefiting more than others. $7 million for Gresh (an average at best player) may sound ridiculous now, but $16 million for Dalton sounded high a few years ago. Now look.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Didnt we let Gresham walk because of his bad back? And at least he was available most of the time.

Tag Eifert and take another shot on a TE in rounds 1-3 next year.

He is good. But TE seems to be going the way of RB. Dudes take a beating and break down. Big money there isnt the best investment.
Reply/Quote
I think some on here are thrilled that Eifert has a downfall because they loved them some Gresh and know Eifert is miles better in every way but one.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2017, 12:33 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Never, ever............ever, ever, ever use Eifert and Breaking in the same sentence.

lol I was thinking the same thing when I saw it.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2017, 02:19 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I think some on here are thrilled that Eifert has a downfall because they loved them some Gresh and know Eifert is miles better in every way but one.

That "one" is a big one. Even for joe blow flipping burgers. If you cant do your job.... 

Availability and reliability isnt an exclusive Eifert measurement.

I thought elbow was a fluke. I thought the pro bowl ankle was a fluke.... 

Having said that. I hope Eifert lights up the redzone this year and makes me feel good about when we tag him
Reply/Quote
The Bengals were smart by drafting Howard n seeing what hes made of and worth letting Eifert go. Excellent move. .......ugh nm. If he blows up again gotta tag him for sure
Reply/Quote
TE seems to be a unique and dangerous position because of the fact that often it's basically a wide receiver being asked to also be a offensive tackle..You just don't see many 300 lb wide receivers out there now do you? Another way to look at them, undersized offensive tackles asked to play WR..
It's no wonder so many of them end up mangled before they retire..
Anyway, I can't say that I blame the team for not offering him a long term deal and on the same hand him not accepting anything less than top dollar..He has to be realistic and realize that being so oft injured few teams would be ready to offer a long term deal although someone probably would in a heartbeat.  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-10-2017, 01:31 AM)pally Wrote: The franchise money won't be far off what he will get paid..in fact it might even be less than what he would get on the open market.  It is a viable option if we don't get a longer deal done

Yea last year it was just under 10M, so just over 10M is a good price for a high end injury prone player.
Reply/Quote
I have never been able to quite put my finger on it, but there's always been something about Eifert that strikes me wrong and it has nothing to do with injuries. He reminds me of someone from my past i think, but I just don't know who.. 
Anyone else ever had that feeling about certain players or other people? Something is wrong, but you just can't figure out what.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-10-2017, 02:38 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: That "one" is a big one. Even for joe blow flipping burgers. If you cant do your job.... 

Availability and reliability isnt an exclusive Eifert measurement.

I thought elbow was a fluke. I thought the pro bowl ankle was a fluke.... 

Having said that. I hope Eifert lights up the redzone this year and makes me feel good about when we tag him

I think the one thing Shake was referring to is blocking. But, yeah... It'd sure be nice to see Eifert out there all season.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2017, 11:38 PM)jowczarski Wrote: No last minute deal for the tight end.
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/09/09/cincinnati-bengals-tyler-eifert-no-contract-extension/649447001/

I wish he would stay healthy, one of the biggest disappointments on the team. 
Reply/Quote