Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Read it and Weep
(09-11-2017, 04:33 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Man, it's hard to say. Think about it...in 49 seasons, this franchise has only managed 5 total postseason victories. 5 in 49 years! Mellow

Like many, I think a new voice and approach are needed at head coach, and that Marvin should be gone. However, sometimes it just feels like it's purely systemic with this organization, and no real change (in terms of end results) will happen - no matter who the coach is - until the old man sitting in the tiger striped throne is eventually replaced.

Agreed,

Nothings really gonna change until the current GM is fully 100% gone and detached from this team. Not stepping back, not letting so and so take over. Fully out of the picture !

To the OP, people flame cincy jungle but that article is way more right than wrong.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2017, 06:46 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: However, I assume Katie would take on more of the main roll if there is indeed a coaching change. No real reason, just a feeling I get. Mike did say it was essentially Katie and marvs team a few years ago. I would hope that Mike just let Katie run the show and not jump back into the decision maker roll (but I wouldn't be shocked if he did  Whatever)

IDK? We like to think Katie would lead the team different but would she really, or would it be more of the same, or god forbid even worse? We do need a new coach who has the power to bring in his own coaching staff. I think that will be the key to changing this organization around for the better. Man, when you look at all the talented teams we've had the last 15yrs that was plain wasted by bad coaching it's appalling. 

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2017, 04:57 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: And good question. I believe Carson would still be here because it seems like his beef was with Marvin based on everything I saw. Beyond that, idk.

Carson's beef seemed to be with Marvin Lewis saying he was going to stand up to Mike Brown WITH Carson and then backing out of it to save his own skin.  Carson Palmer has enough issues with Mike Brown to have tested free agency years ago, regardless. It's not like Marvin and Carson unifying would have changed Mike Brown's mind anyways, so I guess it's fine that Marvin caved in and stop lobbying for change this franchise needed in exchange for his own short-term gains.

This is some inspirational stuff right here, folks
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2017, 04:33 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Man, it's hard to say. Think about it...in 49 seasons, this franchise has only managed 5 total postseason victories. 5 in 49 years! Mellow

Like many, I think a new voice and approach are needed at head coach, and that Marvin should be gone. However, sometimes it just feels like it's purely systemic with this organization, and no real change (in terms of end results) will happen - no matter who the coach is - until the old man sitting in the tiger striped throne is eventually replaced.

And all of those came in 3 seasons. 1981, 1988 and 1990. 

3 seasons out of 50!
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2017, 07:24 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Carson's beef seemed to be with Marvin Lewis saying he was going to stand up to Mike Brown WITH Carson and then backing out of it to save his own skin.  Carson Palmer has enough issues with Mike Brown to have tested free agency years ago, regardless.  It's not like Marvin and Carson unifying would have changed Mike Brown's mind anyways, so I guess it's fine that Marvin caved in and stop lobbying for change this franchise needed in exchange for his own short-term gains.

This is some inspirational stuff right here, folks

I think his beef was with Mike Brown, but Marvin caving in was the breaking point. I remember he mentioned ownership before cutting off the question in the preseason a few years ago. I think it was our game in 2015 where he said that he and Mike Brown were on different pages when it came to fixing the team. I believe Carson had Marvin's support, but then Marvin found no takers after the 2010 season and crawled back to Mike.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2017, 03:33 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I think his beef was with Mike Brown, but Marvin caving in was the breaking point. I remember he mentioned ownership before cutting off the question in the preseason a few years ago. I think it was our game in 2015 where he said that he and Mike Brown were on different pages when it came to fixing the team. I believe Carson had Marvin's support, but then Marvin found no takers after the 2010 season and crawled back to Mike.

Chad's trade demand had similar motivations, fwiw.

https://s2nblog.wordpress.com/2008/04/18/chad-johnson-is-just-sticking-up-for-himself/

[/url]
Quote:[url=https://s2nblog.wordpress.com/2008/04/18/chad-johnson-is-just-sticking-up-for-himself/]Chad Johnson Is Just Sticking Up For Himself

Posted on April 18, 2008 by Signal to Noise
[Image: chadjohnson.jpg?w=266&h=300]

Something akin to this picture at right likely won’t happen next season, as Chad Johnson has finally said he will not show up at any functions of the Cincinnati Bengals, which means he’ll likely sit out if they don’t trade him. As this made its way through ESPN’s opinion cycle (and many others), it finally got Johnson the complete “T.O.” treatment as another selfish, prima-donna wide receiver who ought to just shut up and play; he’s hurting the team’s chemistry and chances by being so public.

Ocho Cinco has every right to *****, gripe, piss and moan about a front office that has done absolutely nothing to improve an offensively loaded team on the defensive end. Johnson took heat for his end zone celebrations, which were completely harmless, because it was perceived as a distraction when his team was losing.  Essentially, he was catching flack that ought to be directed at his coach, Marvin Lewis. Lewis is entering his sixth season with the team after his rep as a “defensive genius” was solidified after the Ravens’ Super Bowl win in 2000, and via Pro Football Reference, we learn that the Bengals’ defense has never been in the top half of the NFL in either points or rush yards allowed. The reason the team could skate and make the playoffs a couple years ago was because they were quite skilled in creating turnovers until last season.

In short, Marvin Lewis, at this point, has clearly taken his genius lessons from Brian Billick. You can project the level of genius as a coach when you have guys like Ray Lewis in his prime, Sam Adams, and Rod Woodson (on the downside, but still good), but when you have to create one from scratch, well….that’s a bit tougher.

It’s far beyond time to acknowledge the obvious in the larger conversation when a player loudly and publicly slams his organization and demands a trade: just because someone is loud and potentially obnoxious does not make him wrong.  Johnson’s frustration appears to be borne out of taking the brunt of the blame for a faltering Cincy team where he is the least of the problems.  I’ve not seen Chad Johnson NOT play hard on the field and he is one of the few Bengals not to get into trouble with extracurricular activities that wind up on the police blotter.

If Chad were a quarterback and griping about his lack of help, it would at least merit a consideration rather than an outright slam. If he were Peyton Manning, the analysts would be questioning Bill Polian’s work.  If he were Brett Favre two seasons ago, the cognoscenti would have questioned whether the Packers and Ted Thompson were doing enough to support their franchise.
In the NFL, where Not For Long and No Fun League are less inside jokes than sharp insight now, Johnson has as much right to gripe about the direction his team is going due to front office mismanagement as the teams have to dump any player who isn’t a big salary cap hit.

For those of you who would say, “Oh, but he’s paid millions to play a game; he should shut up and be grateful” — well, let me put it this way. To earn those millions, he has to be the best at what he does and train to keep that status year-round. The Bengals’ coach and GM are not keeping their end of the bargain.

Funny how relevant this 9.5 year old article still is today. So who is the next scapegoat?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2017, 05:40 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Chad's trade demand had similar motivations, fwiw.

https://s2nblog.wordpress.com/2008/04/18/chad-johnson-is-just-sticking-up-for-himself/

[url=https://s2nblog.wordpress.com/2008/04/18/chad-johnson-is-just-sticking-up-for-himself/][/url]

Funny how relevant this 9.5 year old article still is today. So who is the next scapegoat?

It's already started - Andy Dalton
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2017, 11:32 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: It's already started - Andy Dalton

Yup. Sure seems that way.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2017, 01:53 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: The only way anything will change is if the Bengals go outside for their new coach.  I have to believe that this will be the year - unless they make the playoffs.  I can't see that happening.

Exactly right- and the new coach must have authority to bring in his own team of assistant coaches including coordinators.
Reply/Quote