Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Breaking: No extension for Eifert
The guy has averaged 350 yards and 5 tds per year since he came in the league

Make him earn an extension
Reply/Quote
My guy Cole Hikutini is sitting there on SF's practice squad just waiting to get picked up. If Eifert goes down again this season, we need to grab Hik....
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2017, 08:47 AM)Sled21 Wrote: My guy Cole Hikutini is sitting there on SF's practice squad just waiting to get picked up. If Eifert goes down again this season, we need to grab Hik....

Great case for why we should have drafte OJ

If the 9ers practice squad te is your answer for replacing eifert when he inevitably goes down, we are in trouble.

Tyler kroft is a massive scrub in waiting
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2017, 12:33 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Never, ever............ever, ever, ever use Eifert and Breaking in the same sentence.

Hilarious...gave you "FIND" points again
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2017, 01:28 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I don't know about that.

That franchise tag number will be pretty high and he can't stay healthy.  Who does he think is going to pay him big money?

We have a few young guys in Kroft and Uzomah that might at least hold us over until we find a FA or draft someone, or they might prove to be good enough because they haven't been horrible.

Uzomah was showing pretty well last year, but he can't seem to stay healthy either. 

Kroft has been a disappointment, but I have only heard how great he looked at camp (not from media shills, either).  I will need to see this in a game before I put any stock in it.

Eifert is a difference maker, and I think he deserves a shot to show what he can do with the other weapons in our stable at this time.  He could go the rest of his career without an injury and we do know he is one of the best when healthy. 

I don't think you let that kind of player go. 
Reply/Quote
Eifert is a tough call. When healthy, he's awesome. When not? Not so awesome. How many concussions has he had?

Reply/Quote
(09-10-2017, 01:40 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, Kroft and Uzomah can't stay healthy enough to fully develop to starter quality.  I see the Bengals drafting a TE with a high pick, next year, as they tag Eifert.

Yep, I can't see the future but they should have drafted OJ Howard if they were going to let Eifert walk.  Rather, I see this being a situation where we claim we can't sign FAs because we need to extend Eifert and then we let him walk and hype up how great Uzo & Krofts can be.

Stay tuned!
Reply/Quote
I'd be happy to wait and see what Eifert does this year.

If he has a monumental year, I think the Bengals would happily pay him a higher rate.

The fear is he will have yet another injury laden year and then we'll have signed a player to a contract that no other team would logically give him.

Of course, you could theoretically say that's exactly what we did with Burfict, but Burfict has missed time more for suspensions than injuries, which is technically a lot more controllable from a "cut that shit out" standpoint haha.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2017, 10:06 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Eifert is a tough call. When healthy, he's awesome. When not? Not so awesome. How many concussions has he had?

Not sure, and this may be a stretch, but I like the idea of having him take shorter, move the chains-type receptions and avoiding getting drilled by a safety deep down the seam.  

Maybe a couple deep balls now and then to keep teams honest, but his quickness could be utilized to give Dalton an outlet and move the chains.  It isn't as sexy, but it would keep possessions and help avoid huge shots.  
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2017, 02:19 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I think some on here are thrilled that Eifert has a downfall because they loved them some Gresh and know Eifert is miles better in every way but one.
I'm not thrilled.  Eifert is a legitimate weapon.

I did find it comical that Dave Lapham went on a rant about Gresh faking injuries and letting his team down.

All the while the dude was playing through several injuries.

I also want to add that anyone who thinks Gresham was used properly here during his peak is a fool.

There were countless threads on the old boards about the lack of proper usage.

Routes that did not send him downfield/seams enough... instead just curl, outlet, and comeback stuff(and blocking as an extra lineman).
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2017, 10:17 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Not sure, and this may be a stretch, but I like the idea of having him take shorter, move the chains-type receptions and avoiding getting drilled by a safety deep down the seam.  

Maybe a couple deep balls now and then to keep teams honest, but his quickness could be utilized to give Dalton an outlet and move the chains.  It isn't as sexy, but it would keep possessions and help avoid huge shots.  

Makes sense. Gotta keep him healthy.

Reply/Quote
(09-10-2017, 02:38 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: That "one" is a big one. Even for joe blow flipping burgers. If you cant do your job.... 

Availability and reliability isnt an exclusive Eifert measurement.

I thought elbow was a fluke. I thought the pro bowl ankle was a fluke.... 

Having said that. I hope Eifert lights up the redzone this year and makes me feel good about when we tag him

12 games of Eifert > 16 games of Gresham. I'd like to believe all people would agree, but Gresh really had some big fans.

(09-10-2017, 08:26 AM)jason Wrote: I think the one thing Shake was referring to is blocking. But, yeah... It'd sure be nice to see Eifert out there all season.

Actually, Nati was right. I think some forget that Gresh was rated as a terrible blocker for years by PFF. He turned it around, but that doesn't automatically make him better than Eifert in that category.

(09-10-2017, 10:20 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I'm not thrilled.  Eifert is a legitimate weapon.

I did find it comical that Dave Lapham went on a rant about Gresh faking injuries and letting his team down.

All the while the dude was playing through several injuries.

I also want to add that anyone who thinks Gresham was used properly here during his peak is a fool.

There were countless threads on the old boards about the lack of proper usage.

Routes that did not send him downfield/seams enough... instead just curl, outlet, and comeback stuff(and blocking as an extra lineman).

I think Lapham was basically echoing the sentiments of many within the team. The coaches didn't seem too happy with Gresh, and it seemed to me that it was more than just supposedly faking injury (or ability to play through). Remember Marv's comment that Gresh had many many many many many many many moods? I'm not exaggerating. Marvin said "many" about 8-10 times. I also didn't see any players whine or even say Gresh would be missed. 

I'd stop short of saying Gresh was a cancer, but I think it's fair to say he may not have been a locker room favorite. 

As for the proper usage thing, I think that was put to bed in AZ. Unless you think Gresh had many choices and decided to sign (twice) with a team that wouldn't utilize his supposedly great receiving skills...which obviously would hurt his value in the long haul. And why would the Bengals use Eifert correctly and not Gresh? Truth is, Eifert just has skills that Gresh did not.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2017, 10:07 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Yep, I can't see the future but they should have drafted OJ Howard if they were going to let Eifert walk.  Rather, I see this being a situation where we claim we can't sign FAs because we need to extend Eifert and then we let him walk and hype up how great Uzo & Krofts can be.

Stay tuned!

You beat me to it Nately. Just what I was gonna say - they'll say they have to save money to sign Eifert just like all the others in the past then let him walk.

And if he can't stay on the field more wouldn't bother me.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2017, 12:53 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 12 games of Eifert > 16 games of Gresham. I'd like to believe all people would agree, but Gresh really had some big fans.

Actually, Nati was right. I think some forget that Gresh was rated as a terrible blocker for years by PFF. He turned it around, but that doesn't automatically make him better than Eifert in that category.

I think Lapham was basically echoing the sentiments of many within the team. The coaches didn't seem too happy with Gresh, and it seemed to me that it was more than just supposedly faking injury (or ability to play through). Remember Marv's comment that Gresh had many many many many many many many moods? I'm not exaggerating. Marvin said "many" about 8-10 times. I also didn't see any players whine or even say Gresh would be missed. 

I'd stop short of saying Gresh was a cancer, but I think it's fair to say he may not have been a locker room favorite. 

As for the proper usage thing, I think that was put to bed in AZ. Unless you think Gresh had many choices and decided to sign (twice) with a team that wouldn't utilize his supposedly great receiving skills...which obviously would hurt his value in the long haul. And why would the Bengals use Eifert correctly and not Gresh? Truth is, Eifert just has skills that Gresh did not.
I know it's not the NFL but if you watch his play in college he was more capable of running different routes and types of plays.

I did also state at his peak.  Not the shell of a TE he has become.

Look I really don't give a crap who it is as long the player is successful.

I never said Gresham was better or even close to Eifert in abilities.

That does not mean he was not used to his full potential here.

C'mon man!!

[Image: th?id=OIP.mVMcX26ABjXiLUbHkOdyAwEsEs&pid...=300&h=300]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2017, 02:07 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: MLJ missed 22 games in 4 years and many tantrums were thrown when he didn't get big money in Cincy. Just sayin. 

A lot hinges on this season. If he plays close to a full season, then he'll have 3 seasons out of 5 where he played at least 13 games. Suddenly his career wouldn't look so bad. Especially at a position that sees a shit ton of injuries (something people on here like to ignore).

I will give you that the TE market is a little worrisome. I'm not sure why teams are investing so much in that position when injuries are so common there. That said, the salary cap has skyrocketed since 2012 and some positions are benefiting more than others. $7 million for Gresh (an average at best player) may sound ridiculous now, but $16 million for Dalton sounded high a few years ago. Now look.

Marvin Jones played two full 16 game seasons out of 4 with the Bengals, and I think year 1 some of that was him just not being active as a 5th round rookie, no?

Eifert is having a serious surgery every year.

If Eifert plays 12+ games this year, I can't see how you let him leave this offseason, but I can't imagine giving him big money.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2017, 12:53 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Actually, Nati was right. I think some forget that Gresh was rated as a terrible blocker for years by PFF. He turned it around, but that doesn't automatically make him better than Eifert in that category.
Gresham issues are in his head. Early in his career he would give up early in games if the ball wasn't coming his way.  He really developed into a great blocker and had one of the best games I've seen anyone have against J.J. Watt TE or Tackle. Gresham was also amazing with the ball in his hands but Eifert is just a naturally gifted receiver.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-10-2017, 01:12 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I know it's not the NFL but if you watch his play in college he was more capable of running different routes and types of plays.

I did also state at his peak.  Not the shell of a TE he has become.

Look I really don't give a crap who it is as long the player is successful.

I never said Gresham was better or even close to Eifert in abilities.

That does not mean he was not used to his full potential here.

C'mon man!!

[Image: th?id=OIP.mVMcX26ABjXiLUbHkOdyAwEsEs&pid...=300&h=300]

They instantly seemed to use Eifert properly. I just think it's an ability thing more than Gresh fans think. 

You know there's a big difference between being able to run those routes in college and being able to do them effectively in the pro's.

[Image: b2b319b131c0db69c63ba52c908f2219.jpg]
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2017, 01:22 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Marvin Jones played two full 16 game seasons out of 4 with the Bengals, and I think year 1 some of that was him just not being active as a 5th round rookie, no?

If Eifert plays 12+ games this year, I can't see how you let him leave this offseason, but I can't imagine giving him big money.

Twist it whichever way you like, but ultimately MLJ missed 22 games in 4 years compared to 27 for Eifert. Not much difference. 

He missed games due to injury, not being inactive:
Marvin Jones - 
Quote:Bengals WR Marvin Jones was scheduled to receive the bulk of the snaps opposite A.J. Green before sustaining an MCL tear on the opening kickoff of Week 7.
"He was going to play a lot," said OC Jay Gruden. "We featured him all week. He was going to be the guy. It was very unfortunate." Jones can be an upgrade on Armon Binns if the Bengals continue with the plan to increase his role once he's healthy. Coach Marvin Lewis believes he has a chance to play Nov. 4 against the Broncos.

Quote:Marvin Jones (knee) still isn't practicing.
Jones was hoping to return after the Bengals' Week 8 bye, but it looks like he'll remain out another week. He remains well off the radar in redraft leagues.

He wound up missing weeks 8, 9, 10 and 11 due to the MCL tear.

If Eifert plays close to a full relatively injury-free season (and plays at his peak level), I'll feel much better about paying him what he's worth. If he can't, well...bye.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2017, 01:22 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Marvin Jones played two full 16 game seasons out of 4 with the Bengals, and I think year 1 some of that was him just not being active as a 5th round rookie, no?

Some team with huge cap space will look to Eifert's potential and offer him good $$, taking that health gamble.
He'll get more on the open market than the Bengals will be willing to give.
The top 5 average salaries for TEs are Graham ($10 mill per), Kelce ($9.37 mill per), Reed ($9.35 mill per), Gronk ($9 mill per), and Ertz ($8.5 mill per).
Jordan Reed's is especially indicative of what Eifert will command given that Reed pulled in that kind of cash when he already had an injury-riddled career to that point. Washington paid him like the superstar he is when healthy, gambling on his injury chances.

Sure, franchise tag is a feasible short-term solution, but if he ever goes into a contract year without a new contract and isn't tagged, I'm highly confident he's leaving.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-10-2017, 08:47 AM)Sled21 Wrote: My guy Cole Hikutini is sitting there on SF's practice squad just waiting to get picked up. If Eifert goes down again this season, we need to grab Hik....

Yep …would be great insurance now

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote