Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breaking: Whit to Rams
(03-10-2017, 12:33 AM)Wyche Wrote: I get that....and agree 100% with your post.  I guess where I am is that I don't trust this staff.  Ogbuehi wasn't just out physicaled.....he was lost.  Technique was shit...positioning.....lunging on run plays.....you name it.  He wasn't manhandled....it was like he wasn't even there.  That's what concerns me.

As for Whit and Z.....the team could have extended them last year for friendlier deals and this all a moot point.  They got caught with their pants down and no backup plan.  Terrible.

Personally, they totally botched it so far with Og.  He should have spent the whole 1st year on IR rehabbing and gaining strength instead of being thrown out there in heavy sets at the end of the year, then they switched him to RT ad threw him out there as the starter despite not getting much of a TC.  Kid came from a spread offense, which has a steeper learning curve going to the pros, had to rehab a major injury that takes two years to fully come back from, needed to gain strength to hold up, and has to learn 3 positions because they are hxll bent on trotting him out there before he's ready.  I'm not surprised the kid looked like shxt.  

They tried to extend Zeitler last year,iirc, and couldn't agree to terms.  They weren't in a good bargaining position because the 5th year option was already paying him $8.5 mill, which is close to top G money, and that was enough financial security for him to roll the dice and test the market if the Bengals didn't offer him something crazy.  He seemed pretty determined to get every cent he could, and that's exactly what he did.  The fact that they didn't even offer him a deal this offseason makes it sound like they were far apart, and it's not like the Bengals could logically go down from the $8.5 mill option number.

With Whit, I honestly believe they misjudged his loyalty to the club.  They had given him three contract extensions during his time here despite the fact he was a largely unheralded player.  I think they felt that a contender may come after him, but they would come close and he would give them the hometown discount out of team loyalty.  I think some shxt team backing up the Brinks truck took them completely off guard, as did the fact that he took it.  They probably should have seen that he was more mercenary in nature back when he was complaining about his contract in the media a couple of years back.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Is it official?  I mean like he signed?  Cause we can blow up his twitter feed...

https://twitter.com/awhitworth77?lang=en
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 01:25 AM)Whatever Wrote: Personally, they totally botched it so far with Og.  He should have spent the whole 1st year on IR rehabbing and gaining strength instead of being thrown out there in heavy sets at the end of the year, then they switched him to RT ad threw him out there as the starter despite not getting much of a TC.  Kid came from a spread offense, which has a steeper learning curve going to the pros, had to rehab a major injury that takes two years to fully come back from, needed to gain strength to hold up, and has to learn 3 positions because they are hxll bent on trotting him out there before he's ready.  I'm not surprised the kid looked like shxt.  

They tried to extend Zeitler last year,iirc, and couldn't agree to terms.  They weren't in a good bargaining position because the 5th year option was already paying him $8.5 mill, which is close to top G money, and that was enough financial security for him to roll the dice and test the market if the Bengals didn't offer him something crazy.  He seemed pretty determined to get every cent he could, and that's exactly what he did.  The fact that they didn't even offer him a deal this offseason makes it sound like they were far apart, and it's not like the Bengals could logically go down from the $8.5 mill option number.

With Whit, I honestly believe they misjudged his loyalty to the club.  They had given him three contract extensions during his time here despite the fact he was a largely unheralded player.  I think they felt that a contender may come after him, but they would come close and he would give them the hometown discount out of team loyalty.  I think some shxt team backing up the Brinks truck took them completely off guard, as did the fact that he took it.  They probably should have seen that he was more mercenary in nature back when he was complaining about his contract in the media a couple of years back.

......but the cap goes up every year....Zeitler at 10 mil would be a bargain as early as next year.  They totally botched that.....and wasted a first round pick from the Palmer deal and stupidly overpaid the other player from that deal.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Apparently if the Rams want it, it can basically be a 1yr/$15m deal. (Franchise Tag for OL was $14.8m)

So basically it's the equivalent of franchise tagging Whit, while leaving open the door to keep him if he keep performing. People focused way too much on the 3 year bit.

In the end, the Rams got one of the best LT in the game right now, and the Bengals got Ogbuehi as their starting LT. Blegh.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 01:44 AM)Wyche Wrote: ......but the cap goes up every year....Zeitler at 10 mil would be a bargain as early as next year.  They totally botched that.....and wasted a first round pick from the Palmer deal and stupidly overpaid the other player from that deal.

I don't know how the negotiations went, and I don't know if $10mill a year gets it done.  Just as teams are aware of the cap increasing, so are the players and agents.  Would Z take a $1.5 mill raise last year and lose out on an extra $2mill a year for the next 5?  I can't answer that.  

What I can answer is that even $10 mill a year is a lot for a very good, but not elite RG.  Bolling makes about $5 mill a year, so is one Zeitler worth two Bollings?  I personally don't think so.  The top guys at their positions often get inflated deals over their counterparts.  For example, Chance Warmack, a serviceable starting RG, signed a one year, $1.5 mill deal with the Eagles.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 01:44 AM)Wyche Wrote: ......but the cap goes up every year....Zeitler at 10 mil would be a bargain as early as next year.  They totally botched that.....and wasted a first round pick from the Palmer deal and stupidly overpaid the other player from that deal.

Exactly! The cap has risen $47 million since 2012. 2012! That's a 39% increase. That's driving salaries up.

Other teams realize this.
Reply/Quote