Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breaking down the Bengals cap situation
Jim, honestly, picture yourself as a fan, reading that your team is likely refusing to appropriately compensate the loss of a key weapon because they want a late 4th round pick in the next year's draft.
Doesn't it pain you to write stuff like this? Because the truth hurts.

I was a fan of teams way back when and I get it, for sure. It’s not easy.

With only 32 comp picks to be had it appears Newhouse was so far down the list that he wasn't one of the top 32 qualifying FA losses. Just in case anyone was interested, and it's not set in stone but it's a pretty good bet we don't get one this year.

You’re right – I think it’s right on the bubble…

I didn't include Adam Jones because I think they need to move on. They have two recent 1st round CBs in Dennard and Kirkpatrick that they need to play. I'd rather keep Hall just because he comes with less characte issues.

Here’s the thing there – Jones is better than either. Dennard is coming off a pretty severe shoulder injury. He expects to be ready for camp, but still – how will it handle contact? Will he be the same tackler? And Kirkpatrick had his struggles. This is why I wouldn’t be surprised if the team picks another corner high.
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2016/02/03/cincinnati-bengals-darqueze-dennard-shoulder-injury/79767130/

Not sure if I'm reading this wrong but you can only get 1 3rd round pick. So they won't get one for each of them. And all the comp picks in the world hasn't gotten us a playoff win.

Ya my bad.

Hawk played 26% of the snaps last season and he didn't play when Vontaz was out for 8 weeks, Peko can be replaced by a combination of draft pick and deshawn Williams. Those two guys are easily replaceable.

Hawk played in every game and started at times. Peko is slipping a decade into the league, but if Marvin Lewis and his coaches have proven one thing they like their veterans and play them. Hardison will replace Gilberry. After that, no guarantee Williams outplays either Hardison or Peko in camp.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2016, 12:02 AM)jowczarski Wrote: Here’s the thing there – Jones is better than either. Dennard is coming off a pretty severe shoulder injury. He expects to be ready for camp, but still – how will it handle contact? Will he be the same tackler? And Kirkpatrick had his struggles. This is why I wouldn’t be surprised if the team picks another corner high.
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2016/02/03/cincinnati-bengals-darqueze-dennard-shoulder-injury/79767130/

Hum, not liking the sound of that. I expected a corner already, based on past drafts and the fact that our defense really requires 4 good corners to make it go in top form.

But now I'm expecting us to take one high even if we resign Adam Jones.

Looking for either Eli Apple or William Jackson III to be the team's selection at 24. Neither is expected to be available when the Bengals pick in the second.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-06-2016, 12:26 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Hum, not liking the sound of that. I expected a corner already, based on past drafts and the fact that our defense really requires 4 good corners to make it go in top form.

But now I'm expecting us to take one high even if we resign Adam Jones.

Looking for either Eli Apple or William Jackson III to be the team's selection at 24. Neither is expected to be available when the Bengals pick in the second.

I think Shaw showed really well late in the year, and Lewis-Harris who I always wondered why they kept bringing back actually look very good last year too. If we bring back Jones I think we have a very solid 5 CB's there and wouldn't expect one to be drafted early.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2016, 12:02 AM)jowczarski Wrote: Here’s the thing there – Jones is better than either. Dennard is coming off a pretty severe shoulder injury. He expects to be ready for camp, but still – how will it handle contact? Will he be the same tackler? And Kirkpatrick had his struggles. This is why I wouldn’t be surprised if the team picks another corner high.

Did he suffer a separation or a dislocation?  A labrum tear commonly happens with a shoulder dislocation of the glenohumeral joint usually in the form of a SLAP or Bankart lesion.  You can't dislocate the shoulder without damaging the capsule.  A shoulder separation involves the AC joint and doesn't involve the labrum or the capsule. Your description of his injuries is more consistent with a dislocation than a separation. Point being there is a big difference between the treatment and recovery time for a separation vs. a dislocation.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2016, 02:14 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: I think Shaw showed really well late in the year, and Lewis-Harris who I always wondered why they kept bringing back actually look very good last year too. If we bring back Jones I think we have a very solid 5 CB's there and wouldn't expect one to be drafted early.

As it is right now, Shaw is your 3rd corner and he'd likely take Hall's spot covering the slot. Then you have two starters in Dennard and Kirkpatrick. Lewis-Harris has never been more than an off the bench guy to give rest and here and there, but I just don't see him as a guy who's going to fill a major role. Remember we did cut him in Dec last year, then he cleared waivers and was on the practice squad.

It takes this team a year or so to get a new CB ready, so this is the year we draft another one high.

Reply/Quote
(03-06-2016, 10:41 AM)BengalChris Wrote: As it is right now, Shaw is your 3rd corner and he'd likely take Hall's spot covering the slot. Then you have two starters in Dennard and Kirkpatrick. Lewis-Harris has never been more than an off the bench guy to give rest and here and there, but I just don't see him as a guy who's going to fill a major role. Remember we did cut him in Dec last year, then he cleared waivers and was on the practice squad.

It takes this team a year or so to get a new CB ready, so this is the year we draft another one high.

I said if jones comes back we don't need to draft one early. In that case Shaw is a 4th CB.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2016, 10:41 AM)BengalChris Wrote: As it is right now, Shaw is your 3rd corner and he'd likely take Hall's spot covering the slot. Then you have two starters in Dennard and Kirkpatrick. Lewis-Harris has never been more than an off the bench guy to give rest and here and there, but I just don't see him as a guy who's going to fill a major role. Remember we did cut him in Dec last year, then he cleared waivers and was on the practice squad.

This is assuming Dennard is fully recovered from his injury.

I think we will definitely re-sign either Hall or Jones.  
Reply/Quote
Any news on the Tate contract? Hopefully no more than $1 mil
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2016, 07:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is assuming Dennard is fully recovered from his injury.

Preferrably Jones. Still can't count on Dennard staying healthy at this point.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2016, 07:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is assuming Dennard is fully recovered from his injury.

I sure hope so. I'd prefer Jones though.

Reply/Quote