Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Breaking down the Bucs Injury Report
Genard Avery- EDGE- OUT:  Not a big loss, as he is a 47 PFF rating overall for the season.  Rotaional backup

Jamel Dean- CB- OUT:  This one hurts them big-time. He is their second best defender with an overall PFF rating for the season of 79.1 with an elite tackling grade and a 79.1 for coverage.

Carl Nassib- OLB (Edge)- OUT:  Nassib has been a solid, but not spectacular player since leaving the Raiders and joining the Bucs.  Overall PFF ranking:  67.7 for the year.  Rotational backup.

Vita Vea-  NT- OUT:  Vea has been a dominant NT in the NFL since he arrived.  Though his PFF rating is only 61.9 for the season, this is much like how PFF doesn't realize how much the presence of Reader impacts a game (unless he bats down a ball or makes a TFL).  This is a HUGE loss for the Bucs.  

Mike Edwards- S- Questionable:  FP Thursday and Friday

Julio Jones- WR- Questionable:  DNP Wednesday or Thursday, but LP on Friday

Sean Murphy-bunting- CB- Questionalble:  FP Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday

Joe Tryon-Shoyinka-  LB- Questionable.  FP Thursday and Friday

Antoine Winfield Jr- S- Questionable:  LP Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday.  This could be huge if he is not available, though I would imagine he will go.  He could be playing at less than 100%.  

Tristin Wirfs-  OT- Questionable:  DNP Wednesday, LP Thursday and Friday.  He is their best player on offense, if not the team, with an overall PFF rating of 86.9.  I would imagine he will play.  (EDIT:  UPDATE:  WIRFS IS OUT)

So, overall, this is a pretty extensive list.  The biggest loss on defense has to be Vea.  Dean being out could also be big, but the Bengals could be without Higgins and Boyd, who are being referred to as "in case of emergency" status, which tells me they will be starting with Chase, Irwin, and Taylor.  Was hoping to see the burner recently acquired on the PS get added, but he probably doesn't know much of anything at this point.  

Wirfs not being 100% is trumped by the loss of Hendrickson.

The fact that the Bucs are without Vea should encourage the Bengals to pound the ball with Mixon and Perine, but the bucs do have two really good run defending safeties in Logan Ryan and Winfield, Jr.  Winfield Jr. being banged up might be another reason to try, but I can't help but think with the WR corps of Chase, Irwin, and Taylor out there, they may not feel so threatened as to keep their safeties back.  I would imagine they will try to take away the middle of the field (and easy check-downs) and rely on their pass rush to get home with guys that don't uncover quickly.  Aside from Chase, that is what Burrow will have to work with.  They will need Wilcox to step up and have his best game as a pro.  I could see him being targeted 4-5 times.  They must connect and get some YAC to move the sticks.  

I am not as worried about stopping the Bucs offense, though with Wirfs back, they are essentially 100% on that side of the ball.  

If the Bengals had Higgins and Boyd both healthy, I think the Bengals win this one by two scores.  As it is, the RBs will need a big game, as will the backup TE.  I can't put more on Chase's shoulders than are already on them, but I hope they move him around to generate matchups because I can see Tampa doing everything to hit him at the LOS, and bracket him all day without the fear of Higgins and Boyd out there.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
By 7:30 pm tomorrow their feelings are gonna be hurt too.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Thanks for posting that SHR

I think we will light them on O

My concern is, our D is banged up and w/o Hilton and Hendrickson applying pressure; this may also allow Brady to light us up too.

This may end up being an O shoot out
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2022, 01:01 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Genard Avery- EDGE- OUT: Not a big loss, as he is a 47 PFF rating overall for the season. Rotaional backup

Jamel Dean- CB- OUT: This one hurts them big-time. He is their second best defender with an overall PFF rating for the season of 79.1 with an elite tackling grade and a 79.1 for coverage.

Carl Nassib- OLB (Edge)- OUT: Nassib has been a solid, but not spectacular player since leaving the Raiders and joining the Bucs. Overall PFF ranking: 67.7 for the year. Rotational backup.

Vita Vea- NT- OUT: Vea has been a dominant NT in the NFL since he arrived. Though his PFF rating is only 61.9 for the season, this is much like how PFF doesn't realize how much the presence of Reader impacts a game (unless he bats down a ball or makes a TFL). This is a HUGE loss for the Bucs.

Mike Edwards- S- Questionable: FP Thursday and Friday

Julio Jones- WR- Questionable: DNP Wednesday or Thursday, but LP on Friday

Sean Murphy-bunting- CB- Questionalble: FP Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday

Joe Tryon-Shoyinka- LB- Questionable. FP Thursday and Friday

Antoine Winfield Jr- S- Questionable: LP Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. This could be huge if he is not available, though I would imagine he will go. He could be playing at less than 100%.

Tristin Wirfs- OT- Questionable: DNP Wednesday, LP Thursday and Friday. He is their best player on offense, if not the team, with an overall PFF rating of 86.9. I would imagine he will play.

So, overall, this is a pretty extensive list. The biggest loss on defense has to be Vea. Dean being out could also be big, but the Bengals could be without Higgins and Boyd, who are being referred to as "in case of emergency" status, which tells me they will be starting with Chase, Irwin, and Taylor. Was hoping to see the burner recently acquired on the PS get added, but he probably doesn't know much of anything at this point.

The fact that the Bucs are without Vea should encourage the Bengals to pound the ball with Mixon and Perine, but the bucs do have two really good run defending safeties in Logan Ryan and Winfield, Jr. Winfield Jr. being banged up might be another reason to try, but I can't help but think with the WR corps of Chase, Irwin, and Taylor out there, they may not feel so threatened as to keep their safeties back. I would imagine they will try to take away the middle of the field (and easy check-downs) and rely on their pass rush to get home with guys that don't uncover quickly. Aside from Chase, that is what Burrow will have to work with. They will need Wilcox to step up and have his best game as a pro. I could see him being targeted 4-5 times. They must connect and get some YAC to move the sticks.

I am not as worried about stopping the Bucs offense, though with Wirfs back, they are essentially 100% on that side of the ball.

If the Bengals had Higgins and Boyd both healthy, I think the Bengals win this one by two scores. As it is, the RBs will need a big game, as will the backup TE. I can't put more on Chase's shoulders than are already on them, but I hope they move him around to generate matchups because I can see Tampa doing everything to hit him at the LOS, and bracket him all day without the fear of Higgins and Boyd out there.

Great post. Enjoyed that. If the Bengals can continue to run the ball and protect they are going to be an extremely difficult team to beat. Ossai needs to have some impact. Dax Hill needs to play well in place of Hilton. Brady was helped in NE and under Arians with solid route concepts. Doesn’t appear it’s as easy this year.

We need to get healthy. Hendrickson hurts and Higgins and Boyd hurt too.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
I would be surprised if Wirfs plays Sunday. High ankle sprain and on Wednesday Bowles stated he didnt think he would be ready for this game.

Reply/Quote
(12-17-2022, 01:01 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Genard Avery- EDGE- OUT:  Not a big loss, as he is a 47 PFF rating overall for the season.  Rotaional backup

Jamel Dean- CB- OUT:  This one hurts them big-time. He is their second best defender with an overall PFF rating for the season of 79.1 with an elite tackling grade and a 79.1 for coverage.

Carl Nassib- OLB (Edge)- OUT:  Nassib has been a solid, but not spectacular player since leaving the Raiders and joining the Bucs.  Overall PFF ranking:  67.7 for the year.  Rotational backup.

Vita Vea-  NT- OUT:  Vea has been a dominant NT in the NFL since he arrived.  Though his PFF rating is only 61.9 for the season, this is much like how PFF doesn't realize how much the presence of Reader impacts a game (unless he bats down a ball or makes a TFL).  This is a HUGE loss for the Bucs.  

Mike Edwards- S- Questionable:  FP Thursday and Friday

Julio Jones- WR- Questionable:  DNP Wednesday or Thursday, but LP on Friday

Sean Murphy-bunting- CB- Questionalble:  FP Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday

Joe Tryon-Shoyinka-  LB- Questionable.  FP Thursday and Friday

Antoine Winfield Jr- S- Questionable:  LP Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday.  This could be huge if he is not available, though I would imagine he will go.  He could be playing at less than 100%.  

Tristin Wirfs-  OT- Questionable:  DNP Wednesday, LP Thursday and Friday.  He is their best player on offense, if not the team, with an overall PFF rating of 86.9.  I would imagine he will play.  

So, overall, this is a pretty extensive list.  The biggest loss on defense has to be Vea.  Dean being out could also be big, but the Bengals could be without Higgins and Boyd, who are being referred to as "in case of emergency" status, which tells me they will be starting with Chase, Irwin, and Taylor.  Was hoping to see the burner recently acquired on the PS get added, but he probably doesn't know much of anything at this point.  

The fact that the Bucs are without Vea should encourage the Bengals to pound the ball with Mixon and Perine, but the bucs do have two really good run defending safeties in Logan Ryan and Winfield, Jr.  Winfield Jr. being banged up might be another reason to try, but I can't help but think with the WR corps of Chase, Irwin, and Taylor out there, they may not feel so threatened as to keep their safeties back.  I would imagine they will try to take away the middle of the field (and easy check-downs) and rely on their pass rush to get home with guys that don't uncover quickly.  Aside from Chase, that is what Burrow will have to work with.  They will need Wilcox to step up and have his best game as a pro.  I could see him being targeted 4-5 times.  They must connect and get some YAC to move the sticks.  

If the Bengals had Higgins and Boyd both healthy, I think the Bengals win this one by two scores.  As it is, the RBs will need a big game, as will the backup TE.  I can't put more on Chase's shoulders than are already on them, but I hope they move him around to generate matchups because I can see Tampa doing everything to hit him at the LOS, and bracket him all day without the fear of Higgins and Boyd out there.

Great breakdown, SHRX.  It's that point in the season when depth becomes critical.  That, and having a great medical staff.  

Also important to have coaches who can adjust on the fly, and players who can adjust to the adjustments.  Offensive staff meeting an hour before last week's game and deciding how to play without Higgins, and then the Trent brothers stepping into the roles of Tee and Boyd -- WOW.  Very impressive.  But these guys are pros, and that's what pros do.

For this week, every indication I've seen is that 85 and 83 are playing.  I had not heard the "only in case of emergency" status.  Where did you get that? 
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2022, 01:51 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I would be surprised if Wirfs plays Sunday.  High ankle sprain and on Wednesday Bowles stated he didnt think he would be ready for this game.

LB Devon White was asked about Burrow "one of the best young QBs in the league", White responded immediately with "He is one of the best overall QBs in the league".  Mentioned Joe's will to win and next Tom Brady.  He compared Joe & Tom's commitment and amount of time they put both put in.

White played with Burrow & Chase at LSU, when asked what he told Tampa's CB about Chase, "I told the CBs that the island they play on is his".

Reply/Quote
Thank you for the very detailed report.
Reply/Quote
We're missing Hilton and Awuzie, and possibly Davis. TB's corners suck when they are healthy. This one will be an offensive shootout.
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2022, 01:51 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I would be surprised if Wirfs plays Sunday.  High ankle sprain and on Wednesday Bowles stated he didnt think he would be ready for this game.

Apparently, you were right.  I think he is OUT.  
Reply/Quote
We need to get lots of pressure oh Brady but never touching him after he releases so we don't get penalized constantly for giving Brady an ouchy.

It looks good for what I can see for Boyd and Higgins to play. With the huge list of injuries for the Bucs, I don't even see this game being competitive.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2022, 12:39 PM)M.W. Wrote: We need to get lots of pressure oh Brady but never touching him after he releases so we don't get penalized constantly for giving Brady an ouchy.

It looks good for what I can see for Boyd and Higgins to play.  With the huge list of injuries for the Bucs, I don't even see this game being competitive.

I want to see Reader teabag him after a late hit.  Get your money's worth for that flag.  Maybe rip ass in his face, too.  
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2022, 12:41 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I want to see Reader teabag him after a late hit.  Get your money's worth for that flag.  Maybe rip ass in his face, too.  

Fart yes, teabag no....I don't need to see that!  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2022, 12:41 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I want to see Reader teabag him after a late hit.  Get your money's worth for that flag.  Maybe rip ass in his face, too.  

Are piledrivers allowed in the NFL ?  lol
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
Why the hate for Brady? If it weren't for him, the Steelers would probably have another 2 Super Bowls.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2022, 02:30 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Why the hate for Brady? If it weren't for him, the Steelers would probably have another 2 Super Bowls.

I don't hate him at all.  Actually feel bad for the guy.  Divorce sucks, no matter how much money you have...you lose 50% of the time with your kids.  I was just kidding.  

Now, if Piggy was still playing, I would want Reader to give him the full on Rakishi stinky-face.  
Reply/Quote
Wirfs is out, so is Julio Jones.
OLBs Avery & Nassib are out.
CB Dean and DT Vea are out.

Both safeties Edwards & Winfield were cleared, as was CB Murphy-Bunting, & LB Tryon-Shoyinka.

Reply/Quote
(12-18-2022, 02:30 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Why the hate for Brady? If it weren't for him, the Steelers would probably have another 2 Super Bowls.

I've always liked him.  Those Pats teams were always there to knock some very good Pittsburgh teams down a few pegs.
Reply/Quote