Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breakout Defensive Player....
Well I was talking in another thread and Germaine Pratt came up and it seems a lot of people are overlooking him after
having a good rookie season for us. I think Pratt could make a huge jump and be our breakout Defensive player this year
in his sophomore season. He is fast, can tackle, has good instincts is smart and can cover like a Safety.

Pratt is my pick for DBP this season. Who is yours?
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2020, 04:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well I was talking in another thread and Germaine Pratt came up and it seems a lot of people are overlooking him after
having a good rookie season for us. I think Pratt could make a huge jump and be our breakout Defensive player this year
in his sophomore season. He is fast, can tackle, has good instincts is smart and can cover like a Safety.

mine is sam hubberd. i think hes gonna have a huge season if there is one. hes gonna be one of the leaders to.
Reply/Quote
This guy may not be the biggest breakout stat wise, but I think Mackenzie Alexander will add an element to this defense that has been sorely missed for a while. Huge impact from this guy. Let’s hope he proves it and wants to stay...
Reply/Quote
I don't know if Hubbard counts as a 'break out' player because he's already really good.

If breakout means from an unknown to a known commodity, I'd have to agree on Pratt. At least he tweets a lot about how hungry he is, etc.

Bates is also already a known commodity, but I think his INT numbers will go up IF we manage to stop the run better, because teams won't just be able to run it all day.

But basically my pick is Pratt.
Reply/Quote
Kinda hard for anyone but Pratt to be the break out candidate. We have replaced half of the defense, so not a lot of unknown options.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2020, 04:07 PM)Bruce Wrote: mine is sam hubberd. i think hes gonna have a huge season if there is one. hes gonna be one of the leaders to.

I think we all agree hubberd is a really good player with potential to improve so I don't think of him as a candidate for break out player.  Expectations are already high for him.

A break out player has to be a guy with the potential that hasn't really flashed enough yet.

In that regard maybe to OP is correct.  Why not Pratt?  I'd love be for it to be an LB or someone on the Oline; we need it.
Reply/Quote
Im.going to.go with Darius Phillips yes sir
This secondary has been lacking a real ball hawk
At CB since the days of James and ONeal.
All those high picks at CB this team has invested
Over the last 10 years and not one has even been
In the top 10 in INTS.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2020, 06:02 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Im.going to.go with Darius Phillips yes sir
This secondary has been lacking a real ball hawk
At CB since the days of James and ONeal.
All those high picks at CB this team has invested
Over the last 10 years and not one has even been
In the top 10 in INTS.

I like your thinking on Phillips. Only concern is that he won't play that much as the #4 CB. Hopefully our 6 DB sets have mostly 4 CBs & 2 Safeties. The 3 safety stuff should get used only when a S is replacing a LB, not inserting a S over a CB in coverage.
Reply/Quote
Renell Wren is a possible defensive breakout candidate.

Defensive Lines thrive with a solid rotation and Captian Lou mentioned reducing Geno's snaps. Wren has a perfect build for defensive tackle and has plus athletisim. He was a raw prospect and hopefully he has dedicated this off-season to his craft and blows up in 2020.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I agree with the OP, Germaine Pratt will be the player to have a "breakout" season on the defense, this season. (that is, if there even is a season..)

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2020, 04:52 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: I don't know if Hubbard counts as a 'break out' player because he's already really good.

If breakout means from an unknown to a known commodity, I'd have to agree on Pratt. At least he tweets a lot about how hungry he is, etc.

Bates is also already a known commodity, but I think his INT numbers will go up IF we manage to stop the run better, because teams won't just be able to run it all day.

But basically my pick is Pratt.

This.  Hubbard is already a quality and known player.  Do I expect him to continue to improve, absolutely.  Would I consider him having a monster season as "breakout"?  Not really, as it's more the expectation, after what he's already demonstrated his ability to be.

The only other player that I could make a small argument for, might be Jesse Bates.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Carl Lawson in the last 4 games last season dude had 14 QB hits which is one more than Hubbard had all season. Dude is a stud an I wouldn't be shocked if he lead the league in sacks. I think the defense overall is going to shock people this season.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2020, 04:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well I was talking in another thread and Germaine Pratt came up and it seems a lot of people are overlooking him after

I'd be surprised if Pratt is still starting by end of season.

Breakout star this year is going to be Carl Lawson hands down if he can stay healthy.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2020, 06:59 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: This.  Hubbard is already a quality and known player.  Do I expect him to continue to improve, absolutely.  Would I consider him having a monster season as "breakout"?  Not really, as it's more the expectation, after what he's already demonstrated his ability to be.

The only other player that I could make a small argument for, might be Jesse Bates.

Bates is who I was gonna say. He started out making some noise but has been quiet lately. Perhaps he will have a recovery ?
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2020, 10:49 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Bates is who I was gonna say. He started out making some noise but has been quiet lately. Perhaps he will have a recovery ?

I sort of feel like the improvements across the board on defense, with particular attention to the tackling skills of the secondary members added, will allow Bates to do what he's best at, acting as a free roaming Centerfielder type of Safety.  This should allow him to play back, cover where he's needed, and make more plays on balls for INTs.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Per our earlier discussion, with a better pass rush, run defense up the middle, and LB coverage, I could see Jesse Bates as a guy that is poised to use his rangy talents to intercept a few more balls this year.  Having been near the lead in tackles on the team last year is a bad sign for a defense (both safeties, actually).  Bates could be the breakout player we have needed in the back end that we really haven't seen since Reggie Nelson.

My vote is Jesse Bates.  
Reply/Quote

Pratt is an excellent choice.  With better LB play around him and a better run stuffing presence in the middle (Reader), Pratt will be able to run free and make plays.  Very excited to see his year 2 in the league. 
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2020, 04:07 PM)Bruce Wrote: mine is sam hubberd. i think hes gonna have a huge season if there is one. hes gonna be one of the leaders to.

I love Sam's drive and relentless pursuit.  I don't know if he will put up the gaudy numbers of some DEs in the NFL, but he is surely a huge part of this defense.  
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2020, 04:09 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: This guy may not be the biggest breakout stat wise, but I think Mackenzie Alexander will add an element to this defense that has been sorely missed for a while. Huge impact from this guy. Let’s hope he proves it and wants to stay...

Talk about an under the radar signing.  I think he was rated at or near the top of all slot CBs by PFF.  Tough as nails and quick in short space.  Very excited he is on our team!
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2020, 06:55 PM)Synric Wrote: Renell Wren is a possible defensive breakout candidate.

Defensive Lines thrive with a solid rotation and Captian Lou mentioned reducing Geno's snaps. Wren has a perfect build for defensive tackle and has plus athletisim. He was a raw prospect and hopefully he has dedicated this off-season to his craft and blows up in 2020.

I would love to see this, but with Tupou on the field getting a lot of snaps I don't know how many opportunities he will have.  If he does make a few splash plays early and earns more playing time, all the better for the rotation.  
Reply/Quote