Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breakout star(non rookies)
Shawn Williams
Reply/Quote
I'll go with Brandon Thompson on the Defensive side. With Geno getting back to being Geno, MJ back, and Dunlap being Dunlap, he should get a lot of one on one match-ups and more snaps as he fills in for Peko who is slowing down.

Offensive side, I really don't know if there is a big one that stands out. Eifert is a pick, but will he be the same after the inury, can he play 16 games. I really can't see anyone on the offense that I'd pick as a "breakout player". I think Bodine will improve as you would expect in year two with the line. I think the line play in general will improve as they have more time together now. Not sure I'd say anything there will be breakout, but maybe.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2015, 01:20 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Effect still needs to prove he can stay healthy and stay on the field.

Yep. So far he's been another name on the Bengals long list of injured, potentially good/great players. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Giovani Bernard. He's going to do so much better not being a work-horse. I honestly could see him getting around 1,500 all purpose yards this year.
Reply/Quote
Illoka. Here is the thing, he sort of already had a mini breakout last year as a starter. However his name outside that of the Bengal fanbase will be fairly unknown. I think this year is the season he makes a name for himself and becomes one of the top SS in the league. I'm predicting a LOT of tackles and a good number of picks.

Reply/Quote
Has to be Eifert. With Gresh leaving he has to play a bigger role.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2015, 06:10 PM)Baby Hawk Wrote: Russell Bodine will really step up his game!  

I hope. 

This is a great choice.  I love the guy's dedication, strength, and attitude.  After starting all 16 games in the AFC North (and one postseason game) his rookie season, I think he will have learned a great deal and be better prepared to make a big difference in 2015. 
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2015, 08:46 PM)Beaker Wrote: Burkhead

I was scrolling through them all to see if anyone selected him first.  I completely agree with this "jack of all trades" as a 3rd down back, slot receiver, and special teams ace. 

I have to admit, I didn't scout him at all in college but started to really like him after seeing his contributions when given a chance here.  
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2015, 03:32 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Giovani Bernard. He's going to do so much better not being a work-horse. I honestly could see him getting around 1,500 all purpose yards this year.

I love Gio, but I want a healthy Gio in the postseason.  I think he is the kind of guy that makes his biggest plays in the biggest games.  I would rotate in Burkhead more and keep all the guys fresh. 

Stats are great, and I think Gio is absolutely capable of what you are describing but I want them sprinting in to the playoffs, instead of limping. 
Reply/Quote
So after commenting on a few selections for this topic, I wanted to narrow it down to one single player that would be a true "breakout star".

It wasn't easy, but I am going with Carlos Dunlap. I think that while all four DTs will benefit from the rotation of Pat, Peko, Geno, and Thompson, the DEs will also benefit from the added pressure in the middle. Dunlap was the only real threat in the pass rush department a year ago, so he was easy to game plan against. This year, I think opposing offenses have more to worry about and Dunlap has a "breakout star" kind of season.
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2015, 11:06 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I love Gio, but I want a healthy Gio in the postseason.  I think he is the kind of guy that makes his biggest plays in the biggest games.  I would rotate in Burkhead more and keep all the guys fresh. 

Stats are great, and I think Gio is absolutely capable of what you are describing but I want them sprinting in to the playoffs, instead of limping. 

He's going to be rotating with Hill though. Whenever he got hurt, it was because he was the work-horse. He will no longer be the work-horse and I could definitely see his numbers improve.

Imagine seeing a split backfield with Hill and Gio. That's scary for any defense.
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2015, 02:23 AM)Rfaulk34 Wrote: Yep. So far he's been another name on the Bengals long list of injured, potentially good/great players. 

That list is just really sickening too look at, not just from the stand point of what they could have meant to the team, but for a guy like Pollack, how close it came to messing up his entire life.

Oh, by the way...it still looks just fine with a capital "r"  Big Grin

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
It would be hilarious and awesome if after all this time and a change of scenery, Brandon Ghee finally panned out. He always got talked up in camp, but never managed to stay healthy. Better late than never.
Reply/Quote
Terrelle Pryor.

JK.

Will Clarke.
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
Dalton.

No, stop laughing. Really. Stop.

I think this is the year he "gets it."

Or maybe that's just my hope. Because if he doesn't this year with basically the same line and receivers he's known (minus Gresham), then he's not going to ever get it.
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2015, 11:22 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: That list is just really sickening too look at, not just from the stand point of what they could have meant to the team, but for a guy like Pollack, how close it came to messing up his entire life.

Oh, by the way...it still looks just fine with a capital "r"  Big Grin

LOL. I never noticed that it is capitalized in the quoted text box until just now!

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Darqueze Dennard
[Image: bey.gif]
Reply/Quote
The obvious....Kirkpatrick, Dennard, Eifert

The reasonably possible...Clarke, Marvin Jones

Possible surprises...Hunt (has to be 100% healthy from start of training camp) Lamur (realistically should improve some just because '14 was his first year playing a new position) Dawson (Our LB corp could be a nightmare if Burfict does not recover, Lamur does not improve, and Hawk is washed up. And all of those things are definitely possible.)

I think Hardison needs a year to get stronger before we see much from him, but I am excited to see what he does in '16. Same thing with Clarke this year.
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2015, 06:46 AM)BritishBengal Wrote: Illoka. Here is the thing, he sort of already had a mini breakout last year as a starter. However his name outside that of the Bengal fanbase will be fairly unknown. I think this year is the season he makes a name for himself and becomes one of the top SS in the league. I'm predicting a LOT of tackles and a good number of picks.

That's who I'm going with.  He looked good last year and I really can't wait to see what he does this year.

I can understand those saying Eifert and I hope he does too, but I don't see any coaching changes to make me believe that we will change how we use our TE's and give him the opportunity to have a break out year.
[Image: PApinhead-Sig-1_2.png]

Sig compliments of ExtraRadiohead
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2015, 11:09 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: So after commenting on a few selections for this topic, I wanted to narrow it down to one single player that would be a true "breakout star".  

It wasn't easy, but I am going with Carlos Dunlap.  I think that while all four DTs will benefit from the rotation of Pat, Peko, Geno, and Thompson, the DEs will also benefit from the added pressure in the middle.  Dunlap was the only real threat in the pass rush department a year ago, so he was easy to game plan against.  This year, I think opposing offenses have more to worry about and Dunlap has a "breakout star" kind of season.

I don't think Dunlap breaks out. Not due to lack of talent, but we knew coming out of college he was gonna be a 8-9 sack a year guy. He's just not a 10+ sacks a year guy. And that's fine, he gets tons of pressure which can let other guys get sacks, plus he's good in the run game. I think Dunlap is what he is and I mean no disrespect by that.

Reply/Quote