Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breneman finally calling it quits after this season
Part of me will miss the old goat, part of me has grown tired of his apparent self promotion, but in either case he's definitely been a vocal mainstay for a long time. I can still remember being upset when Al Micheals left wondering who the new guy was. We share the same first name though, Marty. I wish I had a dime every time some joker called me Marty Breneman..  I think he was at his best with Joe Nuxall.. After Joe left then died Marty's schtick grew kind of stale IMO.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Your name is franchester?

Sent from my N9517 using Tapatalk
[Image: Storer50_1.png]
Reply/Quote
Marty came from a time when radio WAS the way to follow the Reds. Many back yards with swimming pools were littered with his voice during the summer season.
Reply/Quote
When I moved back into the area May 2017, I was surprised to find out he was still in the broadcast booth. His role was a lot different, though kind of like Vin Scully at the end for the Dodgers.

Marty wasn't afraid to say it like it was and you could hear him say stuff like, "The offense looks pitiful, folks," and other bold comments on how the Reds were playing or the pitcher was doing. He was good with Joe Nuxhall and even their corny Kroger commercials together were kind of fun.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2019, 06:25 AM)Goalpost Wrote: Marty came from a time when radio WAS the way to follow the Reds.  Many back yards with swimming pools were littered with his voice during the summer season.

Yep, Marty and Joe were just a part of summer. I can remember falling asleep to them as well after a hard day of playing outside.

Oh the good old days
Reply/Quote
I think Marty should have called it quits a few years ago. Cowboy and the others seem more interesting. We all know when it's time to retire. Unfortunately, Marty didn't. Maybe should have left when the banana phone ended.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Marty came for the old school, where announcers didn't have to fill every second with jabber. There would be spaces in between pitches where you could even hear beer vendors in the stands. Those guys came up believing that empty chatter was not necessary, unlike the non-stop stream of words you have to listen to now. I always liked the old style. You hear me, George Grande? It is okay to shut the hell up once in a while.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Most awesome at the homerun calls, “And This One Belongs To The Reds” is burnt into my brain. I’m not a big fan of his personality but love his voice.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2019, 02:12 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Most awesome at the homerun calls, “And This One Belongs To The Reds” is burnt into my brain. I’m not a big fan of his personality but love his voice.

It is a pretty awesome catch phrase.  Almost as good as "rounding third and heading for home."
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2019, 02:39 PM)McC Wrote: It is a pretty awesome catch phrase.  Almost as good as "rounding third and heading for home."

Gotta love Joe. I think that Marty was the better announcer but that Joe was the better personality. I read them as Joe being a regular guy and Marty being a bit smug. I also think that Marty was more grounded when Joe was still around. They sure made a great team for many years.
Reply/Quote
Today’s Titanic struggle.

Nobody can tease a high fly ball to deep center field better. Will it be gone or will it be an out?
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2019, 04:13 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: Today’s Titanic struggle.

Nobody can tease a high fly ball to deep center field better. Will it be gone or will it be an out?

I always loved the “titanic struggle” when it was a blowout or when the attendance announced was really low. Too funny..
Reply/Quote
I still remember Waite Hoyte. My folks used to talk about the great baseball stories he told and how he could keep everyone's attention during even the most boring games.  As a kid I used to think Joe Nuxall was drunk when calling games.. IIRC Hoyte and Nuxall both worked together before Micheals but I could be wrong. Listening to games on radio is a bygone thing, but now it just feels like they're doing little more than filling in time slots and not much else. 

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Probably his most famous rant ever came from a Reds @ Cubs game from April 2008

This happened after Cubs fans started tossing souvenier baseballs onto the field that were being given away at this game. The tossing of the balls on the field came after an Adam Dunn HR an inning earlier.

"See this is the kind of thing quite honestly right now that makes you want to see the Chicago Cubs team lose.
Among all baseball fans and I can't attest to the Yankees or Red Sox because we don't see them with any degree of regularity unless it's interleague play. But far and away the most obnoxious fans in baseball in this league (NL) are those who follow this team right here. They're throwing 15 or 18 balls onto the field. There's absolutely no excuse for that. And that is so typical of Chicago Cubs fans it's unbelieveable"

"You simply root against them. You know I've said all winter they talk about this team winning the division and my comment is they won't win it because at the end of the day they still are the Chicago Cubs. And they will figure out a way to screw this whole thing up"
Reply/Quote
I don't recall if he was around the year the Reds played the Mets in the playoffs and Mets fans in NY were going nuts. I remember Ted Kluszewski standing on top of the dugout during the game with a bat in hand just ready to split a few heads if push came to shove. That was quite something that made the Chicago fiasco look like little peanuts on comparison..  I remember seeing fans tormenting old ladies in the stands that game.. 

Reply/Quote
You know..I'm thinking Marty decided to call it quits after several lousy seasons, but this team made some big time moves this off season and should be an exciting team so I wonder if he might change his mind if they end up in world series contention. Stranger things do happen than an old guy deciding to not retire after all. 

Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 03:30 PM)grampahol Wrote: You know..I'm thinking Marty decided to call it quits after several lousy seasons, but this team made some big time moves this off season and should be an exciting team so I wonder if he might change his mind if they end up in world series contention. Stranger things do happen than an old guy deciding to not retire after all. 

I think it's more Father Time than anything else.  Marty talked about all the places he wants to go, etc.   He's 76.  

Reply/Quote