Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Brexit Referendum Day
(06-25-2016, 12:18 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: I'm not an expert on British politics, but I believe that PM's resigning is not as rare and unusual as Presidents stepping down here (which has only happened once). 

It's fairly common due to the way that Prime Ministers are not directly elected but are simply the leader of the party of Government (i.e. holds the majority in the House of Commons).  Sometimes parties will replace their leaders in the hope that it will save them from a public that has grown tired of them, or sometimes simply to put a new leader in place prior to a General Election to try and maintain continuity.
(06-25-2016, 12:11 PM)bengal kitten uk Wrote: Brit leave voter here and I'm both absolutely overjoyed and somewhat terrified at the result :)

We British like to mock you Americans for your overt patriotism and flag waving while downplaying our own love of our national identity.  For some of our middle class "elite", however, they seem to be embarrassed to be British and ashamed at our past.  They are the ones that were pushing hardest for us to give it all up and move towards the "European Project".  They are the ones pushing for more faith schools, more respect for non-integrating muslims, more anything that isn't British.

On Friday they got a big shock when they realised that the British Bulldog spirit is alive and well for a great deal of the population.

The more the Remain campaigned wheeled out rich and powerful people (+Obama) to tell us to vote their way while threatening everything from economic collapse to World War 3, the more stubborn we Brexiters became.  On Friday the markets went a little crazy, but they will correct.  Maybe we will lose Scotland.  Maybe we will lose a lot more.  Maybe we'll end up in economic meltdown while the Euro-zone soars and we end up crawling back with our tail between our legs.  Maybe.

But if this is the final throws of Empire, and the final collapse of a once great nation then know that to the end we fought for what we believed in and faced down our fears, rather than surrendering meekly like lesser nations.

A little melodramatic?  Maybe :)

Can't wait to find out, though.  Till then, I'll just spend some time on youtube...

Happy for ya, and I think it will all work out eventually, probably sooner than later. If the world was at peace with economies booming in all the soon to be 27 EU countries and elsewhere,  then I doubt there would have been a strong desire to exit, in my across the pond opinion. But since they arent, and you guys were being told what to do out of Brussels in regards to immigration amongst other things, I would've voted leave too.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: 13537646_10154069994380189_8350282037579...e=57C18439]
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(06-25-2016, 12:11 PM)bengal kitten uk Wrote: Brit leave voter here and I'm both absolutely overjoyed and somewhat terrified at the result :)

We British like to mock you Americans for your overt patriotism and flag waving while downplaying our own love of our national identity.  For some of our middle class "elite", however, they seem to be embarrassed to be British and ashamed at our past.  They are the ones that were pushing hardest for us to give it all up and move towards the "European Project".  They are the ones pushing for more faith schools, more respect for non-integrating muslims, more anything that isn't British.

On Friday they got a big shock when they realised that the British Bulldog spirit is alive and well for a great deal of the population.

The more the Remain campaigned wheeled out rich and powerful people (+Obama) to tell us to vote their way while threatening everything from economic collapse to World War 3, the more stubborn we Brexiters became.  On Friday the markets went a little crazy, but they will correct.  Maybe we will lose Scotland.  Maybe we will lose a lot more.  Maybe we'll end up in economic meltdown while the Euro-zone soars and we end up crawling back with our tail between our legs.  Maybe.

But if this is the final throws of Empire, and the final collapse of a once great nation then know that to the end we fought for what we believed in and faced down our fears, rather than surrendering meekly like lesser nations.

A little melodramatic?  Maybe :)

Can't wait to find out, though.  Till then, I'll just spend some time on youtube...

Does Brittan currently have an Independence Day like we do in the US? If not: New Holiday. You comments are where I'm at with the whole Brexit thing. If the majority of the Nation wanted to leave, who is the rest of the world to tell them they are wrong for doing so? If Scotland is happy with remaining in the EU and surrendering their identity,  then so be it. William Wallace might be rolling over in his grave 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(06-25-2016, 02:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Does Brittan currently have an Independence Day like we do in the US? If not: New Holiday. You comments are where I'm at with the whole Brexit thing. If the majority of the Nation wanted to leave, who is the rest of the world to tell them they are wrong for doing so? If Scotland is happy with remaining in the EU and surrendering their identity,  then so be it. William Wallace might be rolling over in his grave 

For Scotland and Ireland its different though. For them if they are to leave Great Britain, they will become their own sovereign country then join the EU if the EU takes them.

And, the EU is going to change, hopefully for the better because of Great Britain leaving.

I actually think this will be better for the EU and Europe as a whole but only time will tell.
Time will tell if this was the right decision economically. For the sake of their national identity, however, it seems like the UK did what most believed they needed to do to preserve that. Can't blame them for not wanting to support poor nations and listen to Germany.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

American patriotism is necessary. Given our history and the fact that we're a nation that has grown thanks to the influx of various immigrant groups, you need a national identity that everyone can unite under that is ethnically neutral. 

Sons and daughters of people from England, Ireland, Germany, Italy, Greece, China, Mexico, Ghana, Pakistan, etc can all unite as Americans with a shared national identity.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(06-25-2016, 02:45 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: For Scotland and Ireland its different though. For them if they are to leave Great Britain, they will become their own sovereign country then join the EU if the EU takes them.

And, the EU is going to change, hopefully for the better because of Great Britain leaving.

I actually think this will be better for the EU and Europe as a whole but only time will tell.
Actually Northern Ireland would be unique. One of the reasons there is The Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland is that NI wanted to remain a part of Great Britain and RI did not. So if they break from GB will Ireland once again become a whole country?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(06-25-2016, 02:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Does Brittan currently have an Independence Day like we do in the US? If not: New Holiday. You comments are where I'm at with the whole Brexit thing. If the majority of the Nation wanted to leave, who is the rest of the world to tell them they are wrong for doing so? If Scotland is happy with remaining in the EU and surrendering their identity,  then so be it. William Wallace might be rolling over in his grave 

I am actually with you (other than equating Brexit to American independence, very different situations) because that was the decision of the voters. One of the reasons I do not begrudge Scotland or NI from making any moves at this point.

(06-25-2016, 03:29 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Actually Northern Ireland would be unique. One of the reasons there is The Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland is that NI wanted to remain a part of Great Britain and RI did not. So if they break from GB will Ireland once again become a whole country?

That is what Sinn Fein is trying to do, as always of course. I think NI would support reunification if they separate with the UK, though, because if the expulsion from the EU is what is prompting the move, then reunifying with the RoI would guarantee reentry into the confederation.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Starting to look like perhaps Immigration was one of the key driving forces behind the Brexit referendum.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/a-sharp-spike-in-racist-incidents-reported-after-the-brexit-vote/ar-AAhE8xs?ocid=spartandhp

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
FYI....

Also interesting...

(06-26-2016, 06:31 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Starting to look like perhaps Immigration was one of the key driving forces behind the Brexit referendum.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/a-sharp-spike-in-racist-incidents-reported-after-the-brexit-vote/ar-AAhE8xs?ocid=spartandhp

Yep. And here is the irony in that.

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/06/25/carswell-hannan-freeze-farage-wont-stop-immigration/

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/25/leave-campaign-rows-back-key-pledges-immigration-nhs-spending
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
And in case anyone is interested, here os someone that has collected a number of these incidents being reported on social media: https://www.facebook.com/sarah.leblanc.718/media_set?set=a.10101369198638985&type=3

(06-26-2016, 07:05 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Yep. And here is the irony in that.

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/06/25/carswell-hannan-freeze-farage-wont-stop-immigration/

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/25/leave-campaign-rows-back-key-pledges-immigration-nhs-spending

Well there is certainly the irony we in America see whereby people being governed by a larger group which permits them (what they perceive to be ) little participation vote to become independent of that organization.

[Image: e8e5e525e673d5a4a1d46b8f948cc2be.jpg]
Ninja

I would think that Hannan would tread lightly in regard to promising no drop in rate of immigration.  I've been reading that at least 5 other Nations are considering leaving the EU.  One would have to assume that the reasoning and sentiments behind other Nations considering leaving would be similar to those of the British.  Wouldn't you think?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(06-26-2016, 07:17 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Well there is certainly the irony we in America see whereby people being governed by a larger group which permits them (what they perceive to be ) little participation vote to become independent of that organization.

[Image: e8e5e525e673d5a4a1d46b8f948cc2be.jpg]
Ninja

You mean like we are currently experiencing here, where the State Governments are losing their autonomy to an ever growing and overreaching Federal Government?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(06-26-2016, 07:36 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You mean like we are currently experiencing here, where the State Governments are losing their autonomy to an ever growing and overreaching Federal Government?

That was decided in this war...

[Image: mkwary.jpg]

Please try to keep up.  Ninja

[Image: SecondaryOddballBoutu.gif]

Ninja
(06-26-2016, 07:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I would think that Hannan would tread lightly in regard to promising no drop in rate of immigration.  I've been reading that at least 5 other Nations are considering leaving the EU.  One would have to assume that the reasoning and sentiments behind other Nations considering leaving would be similar to those of the British.  Wouldn't you think?

Yes and no. The UK has more sovereignty than any other member state. Immigration is the real issue for the UK, the rest of it was just an attempt at masking that, in my opinion. The UK had the best deal in the EU. Other countries could have legitimate other reasons to want to depart, whether is just be the sovereignty given up, or that and an added bonus of not having the political weight that the UK, France, Germany, and a couple of others have to get their own best interests addressed. I know France is on the list, and they are most like the UK in that immigration is the primary issue.