Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Brexit Referendum Day
I thought this to be decent.

(06-27-2016, 09:59 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Hell Iceland just beat England in the Euros.

When I am not rooting for my favorite teams I love the underdogs. That match was great!
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(06-25-2016, 12:11 PM)bengal kitten uk Wrote: Brit leave voter here and I'm both absolutely overjoyed and somewhat terrified at the result :)

We British like to mock you Americans for your overt patriotism and flag waving while downplaying our own love of our national identity.  For some of our middle class "elite", however, they seem to be embarrassed to be British and ashamed at our past.  They are the ones that were pushing hardest for us to give it all up and move towards the "European Project".  They are the ones pushing for more faith schools, more respect for non-integrating muslims, more anything that isn't British.

On Friday they got a big shock when they realised that the British Bulldog spirit is alive and well for a great deal of the population.

The more the Remain campaigned wheeled out rich and powerful people (+Obama) to tell us to vote their way while threatening everything from economic collapse to World War 3, the more stubborn we Brexiters became.  On Friday the markets went a little crazy, but they will correct.  Maybe we will lose Scotland.  Maybe we will lose a lot more.  Maybe we'll end up in economic meltdown while the Euro-zone soars and we end up crawling back with our tail between our legs.  Maybe.

But if this is the final throws of Empire, and the final collapse of a once great nation then know that to the end we fought for what we believed in and faced down our fears, rather than surrendering meekly like lesser nations.

A little melodramatic?  Maybe :)

Can't wait to find out, though.  Till then, I'll just spend some time on youtube...

This little thing isn't going to ruin England.  It's a country forged in iron and steel over 1500 years.  The Romans leave, the Britons stay behind, the Saxons and Angles show up, then the Danes and the Norse who end up assimilating. The Saxons come close to unifying the country then the Norse return, but this time from across the channel in the form of Normans.  You have Agincourt and Trafalgar and the Battle of Britain.  You defeated Napolean.  This ain't nothing.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
http://satwcomic.com/brexit-to-the-right
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
[Image: 1024x1024.jpg]
--------------------------------------------------------

Economists are in unison about the short-run hurting like a *****.

How the UK will do in the long-run is anyone's guess.
(06-28-2016, 08:45 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Economists are in unison about the short-run hurting like a *****.

How the UK will do in the long-run is anyone's guess.

Really it depends where you draw the line between short and long term. I expect it will be a good 4-5 years before things start to even out. I hope I am wrong because I don't want the people of the UK to suffer, but this is a tough road ahead for their negotiations and the leave side is continuing to burn bridges in the EU making their negotiating position even more tumultuous.

(06-28-2016, 08:37 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: [Image: 1024x1024.jpg]

I retweeted a story about this too.

I say Texas should shit or get off the pot.

No federal money...be their own country...build their own wall.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(06-28-2016, 09:49 PM)GMDino Wrote: I retweeted a story about this too.

Texas could likely make it, and do well as it's own Nation.  The US, however, would suffer.  That is a lot of tax dollars to lose..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(06-28-2016, 09:57 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Texas could likely make it, and do well as it's own Nation.  The US, however, would suffer.  That is a lot of tax dollars to lose..

A lot more to it than that. How many countries and in what time frame would recognize Texas as an independent nation? What currency system would they use? Would they try to join in on NAFTA? They have a decent enough infrastructure, sure, but there are a lot of things that would have to be considered that would be unknown variables and would make it difficult to really guess how things would go.

(06-28-2016, 09:57 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Texas could likely make it, and do well as it's own Nation.  The US, however, would suffer.  That is a lot of tax dollars to lose..

They can't even handle a natural disaster.

It would never work for them.

I'd add it would save the US a lot of tax dollars too....
(06-28-2016, 10:16 PM)GMDino Wrote: They can't even handle a natural disaster.

It would never work for them.

I'd add it would save the US a lot of tax dollars too....

It's actually about a wash with Texas, before any spending on disaster recovery is taken onto account. The amount of tax revenue is about equal to the regular federal spending in Texas.

(06-28-2016, 06:09 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: When I am not rooting for my favorite teams I love the underdogs. That match was great!

That game sparked all kinds of memes about England doing anything to leave Europe.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(06-28-2016, 10:38 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: It's actually about a wash with Texas, before any spending on disaster recovery is taken onto account. The amount of tax revenue is about equal to the regular federal spending in Texas.

That's what I was getting at.
(06-28-2016, 09:49 PM)GMDino Wrote: I retweeted a story about this too.

I guess they could just butch-up on the "we never ratified the annexation" ballyhoo.
Drunk
Pull the 16 federal military bases from Texas (including Lackland AFB and Forts Hood, Bliss and Sam Houston) and hundreds of thousands of Texans would be out of work.

I'm not sure the Texans who would like to leave the Union have thought this through too well.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(06-29-2016, 12:19 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: Pull the 16 federal military bases from Texas (including Lackland AFB and Forts Hood, Bliss and Sam Houston) and hundreds of thousands of Texans would be out of work.

I'm not sure the Texans who would like to leave the Union have thought this through too well.

I'd wager a lot of people would defect to The Republic of Texas.

More on topic, this was fun....

(06-29-2016, 12:35 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: I'd wager a lot of people would defect to The Republic of Texas.

Hmm... more out-of-work new Texans, eh. 

They might need to start a huge welfare program.  Wink
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(06-29-2016, 12:35 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: I'd wager a lot of people would defect to The Republic of Texas.

Did you hear Farage get smacked down during that session? There were a lot of zingers flying in that chamber before, during, and after that, and I personally found it hilarious. Farage did a great job of unifying just about everyone in the EU behind one theme, Farage is a prat.

I found it funny how Farage said he wanted an adult, sensible negotiation, and then proceeded to insult the entire chamber, even though he had been doing so as well. There is a reason that the Conservatives distance themselves from UKIP.

I believe there is a tiny bit of schadenfreude occurring here. The EU is standing firm on access tot he single market requiring freedom of movement: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36659900?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_breaking&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=news_central

I mentioned this in the meme thread, that this would be required to have the type of deal either Norway or Switzerland has with regard to the market, which would then mean that one of the biggest reasons many voted leave will be nullified.