Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brian Callahan
What is this guys role? Sometimes they show him during the game sitting in a booth with a headset on.

I know he is heavily involved with the offense, but to what extent? Is he basically our OC without the title? Much like Duke Tobin is basically our GM without the title?

I am just wondering if this guy is good at his job. Would he be good at taking over play calling if ZT were to give it up? I imagine he is already involved to some extent.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
I think his title is Offensive Coordinator. He just doesn't call plays.

You know, I wonder too. Not beating Cover 2, it's like the playbook is bad...so that would point to Callahan somewhat.

I also wonder how many times Burrow audibles and what the result is. Maybe they call a decent play and Burrow audibles into a bad one and vice versa.
Reply/Quote
Zac when hired, needed to hire a veteran coach on Offense that had at least called plays before since everyone was so young and without experience. As a Offensive Assistant or Consultant. That would have helped get this Offense staff up to speed.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
He is the OC, just doesn’t have full play calling duties. Those ultimately fall on Zac’s shoulders which is the way he wanted it.

I do believe BC gives plenty of input regarding what he’s seeing from above and even gives Zac plenty of suggestions. From previous interviews/etc I always got the impression it’s a team effort but Zac gets final say.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 09:34 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: He is the OC, just doesn’t have full play calling duties. Those ultimately fall on Zac’s shoulders which is the way he wanted it.

I do believe BC gives plenty of input regarding what he’s seeing from above and even gives Zac plenty of suggestions. From previous interviews/etc I always got the impression it’s a team effort but Zac gets final say.

Yes Brian Callahan is the guy in the booth pointing out tendencies, defensive mistakes, adjusting what they are doing on offense, and setting up the plays that are working and not... Zac "calls" the plays but really hes just the guy relaying Callahan's information to the QB.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 09:18 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: What is this guys role? Sometimes they show him during the game sitting in a booth with a headset on.

I know he is heavily involved with the offense, but to what extent? Is he basically our OC without the title? Much like Duke Tobin is basically our GM without the title?

I am just wondering if this guy is good at his job. Would he be good at taking over play calling if ZT were to give it up? I imagine he is already involved to some extent.

His role is will be to take the fall..

But he designs some of the plays but doesnt get to call the offense. So hard to say what he actually has done

But even Chase has called out our horrible play calling the first 2 games..
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 09:40 AM)Synric Wrote: Yes Brian Callahan is the guy in the booth pointing out tendencies, defensive mistakes, adjusting what they are doing on offense, and setting up the plays that are working and not... Zac "calls" the plays but really hes just the guy relaying Callahan's information to the QB.

If that's truly the case, then in my mind a lot of the ineptitude on offense lays on both ZT and BC. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 09:44 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: If that's truly the case, then in my mind a lot of the ineptitude on offense lays on both ZT and BC. 

Yes. That's what has been talked about in interviews. Going off memory, BC is constantly in Zac's ear, they send the play (I seem to recall they send in two) and Joe has audibles obviously. So it could be all three. I would lay more on the steps leading to BC and ZT though.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
There may be something with the birds eye view of the Offense and I get why some coaches prefer to be in the booth. I've always preferred the OC and DC to be on the field with the team. Maybe Callahan should move to the field to coach them up in real time since the play caller theoretically should be doing it but as HC, Zac has to pay attention to the team and the game and can't spend his time coaching Burrow and company up while the Defense is on the field.

When McVay first started, he'd be on the bench with the QB and Offense and camera's would catch him doing the coaching while Wade Phillips looked to be keeping an eye on the game. That is when (and why) the young HC and seasoned DC was a thing.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
They say two heads are better than one. But in this case is it really? IS ZT saying zig and BC wants to zag? Is Burrow wanting something totally different? "no empty sets"

Whatever it is they better get it figured out fast.

I still say we need an experienced OC in here.
Reply/Quote
I like to refer to Brian as “The Consolation Callahan”.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 10:14 AM)Wyche Wrote: Yes. That's what has been talked about in interviews. Going off memory, BC is constantly in Zac's ear, they send the play (I seem to recall they send in two) and Joe has audibles obviously. So it could be all three. I would lay more on the steps leading to BC and ZT though.

It is a mix bag after two games I don;t know where we can lay majority of blame.. i will just spread it out to these main people: ZT and BC,, Pollack and Burrow, all are under performing which in turn equals a bad offense 
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 09:19 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think his title is Offensive Coordinator. He just doesn't call plays.

You know, I wonder too. Not beating Cover 2, it's like the playbook is bad...so that would point to Callahan somewhat.

I also wonder how many times Burrow audibles and what the result is. Maybe they call a decent play and Burrow audibles into a bad one and vice versa.

Callihan and Taylor have been defending against the Tampa 2, and deep cover 2 since they were in the 8th grade. Listening to the Athletic’s podcast it’s a huge puzzle because what they are trying the team is not delivering. That being Joe sometimes, Mixon sometimes, and the OL a lot of times.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 08:37 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: It is a mix bag after two games I don;t know where we can lay majority of blame.. i will just spread it out to these main people: ZT and BC,, Pollack and Burrow, all are under performing which in turn equals a bad offense 

I would 100 percent agree with that. Ultimately, it's up to the HC to get this train back on the track 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Problems for sure, they have 3 days to put in some changes or it's going to be a long day in NY. Somehow I don't see that being enough time. I hope I'm wrong and they come out in attack mode playing angry football. They need a win badly Sunday to get some confidence back and take a short breather and re-group for Miami 4 days later.
Reply/Quote