Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brian Callahan identified as one of top offensive coordinators
A survey of players conducted by the NFL Players Association placed Brian Callahan as the 4th best offensive coordinator in the NFL. 864 offensive players participated and this was the top five:

Frank Smith, Miami Dolphins

Thomas Brown, Carolina Panthers

Brian Schottenheimer, Dallas Cowboys

Brian Callahan, Cincinnati Bengals

Kellen Moore, Los Angeles Chargers

The NFLPA only released the top 5 at this point, partially to "highlight and help strong head-coach candidates in the interview cycle," and partially to "avoid playoff-bound teams whose coordinators might have rated low from having to deal with that as an issue ahead of playoff games."

Also rated were the top five defensive coordinators and special team coordinators, but none of the Bengals coaches placed among the top five in those categories. The full list will be revealed closer to the combine in late February/early March.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39241201/nflpa-survey-identifies-top-coordinators-ahead-hiring-cycle
Reply/Quote
Thomas Brown is a 1st time OC for the 32nd overall and 31st scoring offense. Would love to see how a fanbase reacts to that hiring.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Could see Brian going to Carolina at HC or back to Raiders as an OC w/ playing calling duties if Pierce gets the HC gig.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2024, 03:58 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Could see Brian going to Carolina at HC or back to Raiders as an OC w/ playing calling duties if Pierce gets the HC gig.

Hopefully, not that I don't like the guy, but 5 years is a lifetime as a OC / DC and if they are any good, they should have had HC opportunities by year 6. Fresh eyes is desperately needed in my opinion, but no one on the Coordinator level will be fired and they, given their recent success, shouldn't be. 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I'm not really sure how a guy that's just an OC helper can get named one of the top OC's ??

But cool
Reply/Quote
LOL
Reply/Quote
And the second place guy is the coordinator for the 2-14 Panthers?
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
Of those 5, how many call plays? 1, maybe 2? Dallas, Miami and Cincinnati are all called by the head coach and Carolina was for a time as well. I guess Thomas re-took playcalling duties when Reich was fired, but he didn't have them for at least a portion of the season.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2024, 03:42 PM)Nepa Wrote: A survey of players conducted by the NFL Players Association placed Brian Callahan as the 4th best offensive coordinator in the NFL. 864 offensive players participated and this was the top five:

The NFLPA only released the top 5 at this point, partially to "highlight and help strong head-coach candidates in the interview cycle," and partially to "avoid playoff-bound teams whose coordinators might have rated low from having to deal with that as an issue ahead of playoff games."

Also rated were the top five defensive coordinators and special team coordinators, but none of the Bengals coaches placed among the top five in those categories. The full list will be revealed closer to the combine in late February/early March.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39241201/nflpa-survey-identifies-top-coordinators-ahead-hiring-cycle
[Image: R.d5795f5cc047b5aa9d13a747978fae58?rik=X...ImgRaw&r=0]
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2024, 04:10 PM)jj22 Wrote: Hopefully, not that I don't like the guy, but 5 years is a lifetime as a OC / DC and if they are any good, they should have had HC opportunities by year 6. Fresh eyes is desperately needed in my opinion, but no one on the Coordinator level will be fired and they, given their recent success, shouldn't be. 

I get it, but I could see him taking an opportunity to work w/ a defensive-minded HC and do something similar to Eric "Sleeping with"...

Reply/Quote
This must've been one of the voters:

[Image: b4818c81f5af67c51c536f2872efb41c.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Ben Johnson from Detroit will land a HC gig this off-season. Didn't make the list though; huh?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
[Image: giphy.gif]

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2024, 03:54 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Thomas Brown is a 1st time OC for the 32nd overall and 31st scoring offense. Would love to see how a fanbase reacts to that hiring.

(01-04-2024, 05:59 PM)Destro Wrote: And the second place guy is the coordinator for the 2-14 Panthers?

via GIPHY

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2024, 03:42 PM)Nepa Wrote: A survey of players conducted by the NFL Players Association placed Brian Callahan as the 4th best offensive coordinator in the NFL. 864 offensive players participated and this was the top five:

do we even know what part of the offense he is responsible for?  seems a lot of cooks in that kitchen and he doesnt call plays.
Reply/Quote
Here are the offensive ranks for the 5 years that Coach Callahan has been here.  We have had 1 really good year for TDS/G, 1 mediocre, and 3 well below average years.  Scoring has been slightly better with 2 really good years.  Things were trending in the right direction after adding Burrow/Chase (obviously).  2023 was just a disappointment in every aspect due to injuries.

What was interesting is that PTS/G was almost always decently better than YDS/G. In the post-season, we were below average on yards but above average on points.  Not sure if this is telling that we were reliant on defensive giving us field position or turnovers.  It does point to what we all felt with going through extended spells of just not being able the move the ball consistently.  With Burrow, Chase, Tee, Boyd, & Mixon, that just seems indefensible.  Blame the OL, OC, or both.

Regular Season (out of 32 Teams)
         YDS/G  PTS/G
2023  22        20
2022  8          7
2021  13        7    <-Chase's rookie season
2020  29        29  <- Burrow's rookie season
2019  26        30

Post-Season (out of 14 teams)
         YDS/G  PTS/G
2022  13        7
2021  8          5
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2024, 12:27 PM)BleedNOrange Wrote: Here are the offensive ranks for the 5 years that Coach Callahan has been here.  We have had 1 really good year for TDS/G, 1 mediocre, and 3 well below average years.  Scoring has been slightly better with 2 really good years.  Things were trending in the right direction after adding Burrow/Chase (obviously).  2023 was just a disappointment in every aspect due to injuries.

What was interesting is that PTS/G was almost always decently better than YDS/G. In the post-season, we were below average on yards but above average on points.  Not sure if this is telling that we were reliant on defensive giving us field position or turnovers.  It does point to what we all felt with going through extended spells of just not being able the move the ball consistently.  With Burrow, Chase, Tee, Boyd, & Mixon, that just seems indefensible.  Blame the OL, OC, or both.

Regular Season (out of 32 Teams)
         YDS/G  PTS/G
2023  22        20
2022  8          7
2021  13        7    <-Chase's rookie season
2020  29        29  <- Burrow's rookie season
2019  26        30

Post-Season (out of 14 teams)
         YDS/G  PTS/G
2022  13        7
2021  8          5

The efficiency rankings are really the most important. But you also need to see their success couple with their OL ranking. We know our OL vs some of the best offenses. SF & Philly are great in the OL but not as good at QB. There’s their trade off. KC & Bills have decent OL and great QB’s. One efficiency rating is points per play. We are solid there. In ‘21 & ‘22 only two teams finished better than us both years. KC & Bills. We were 8th both years. But the caveat is our OL was by far the worst of anybody in the top 10.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
A survey based on player feedback is valuable information, but it isn't necessarily an accurate measure of job effectiveness or performance. With that said, I'm glad that Callahan is well perceived and appreciated by the Bengal players.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2024, 12:48 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: A survey based on player feedback is valuable information, but it isn't necessarily an accurate measure of job effectiveness or performance. With that said, I'm glad that Callahan is well perceived and appreciated by the Bengal players.

A survey based on Message Board posters feedback would be much more valuable....

The bottom line it's a QB driven league. If you're associated with an elite QB in the league you're going to be well-regarded in the professional circles. Fans will always find warts. I think taking a journeyman like Browning and making him a top 20 QB will just add an additional feather to the cap. 

Reply/Quote