Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brian Leonard???
I watched all the 2011 Bengal games and have started 2012.

Did Brian Leonard just play above his head in 2011, because he was phenomenal???
Reply/Quote
Very good role player, not good full time player. Came through when he really really needed to. Good teams generally need a couple players like that on their depth chart.

Ultimately a bad draft pick for the Rams though, since he was a 2nd rounder.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2016, 03:47 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Very good role player, not good full time player. Came through when he really really needed to. Good teams generally need a couple players like that on their depth chart.

Agreed. Leonard was never going to be a world beater, but he was an amazing role player. I was so happy when we traded for him.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2016, 03:47 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Very good role player, not good full time player. Came through when he really really needed to. Good teams generally need a couple players like that on their depth chart.

(07-20-2016, 04:27 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Agreed. Leonard was never going to be a world beater, but he was an amazing role player. I was so happy when we traded for him.

Yeah, loved his will to get us first downs when we absolutely needed it. Clutch was Brian Leonard.
Reply/Quote
He was okay. When you get replaced by Ben-Jarvis Green-Ellis, you show no real potential.
Reply/Quote
He is the best Bengal of all time! Ninja
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2016, 06:25 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: He is the best Bengal of all time!  Ninja

Since he was a backup role player to Benson and Scott, the Law Firm did not 'replace' him.

So my question is, what happened to him?  Did we trade him to get the Firm?
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2016, 06:42 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Since he was a backup role player to Benson and Scott, the Law Firm did not 'replace' him.

I believe he was cut.  He played with the Buccaneers in '13, and was signed then released a week later by the Saints, in '14.  I'd say it's pretty much over for Brian Leonard.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2016, 06:42 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Since he was a backup role player to Benson and Scott, the Law Firm did not 'replace' him.

(07-20-2016, 07:08 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I believe he was cut.  He played with the Buccaneers in '13, and was signed then released a week later by the Saints, in '14.  I'd say it's pretty much over for Brian Leonard.

Nah, they just didn't re-sign him once he hit FA. The year before he had a big drop in his yards per carry and yards per catch (5.0 and 9.5 dropped to 3.2 and 6.1). The Bucs then signed him in FA for I think a near-minimum deal.

BJGE was just a straight up FA signing, no trade.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Had a nose for the first down marker on the tough ones it seemed.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Brian served a great role for the Bengals and will always be remembered for the "Leonard Leap" he often used while avoiding defenders.

Loved having him on the team as he grew up in a small town 30 mins from me in Upstate New York.

He runs a football camp now and is retired from the NFL.
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
Dontcha just love the term 'retired' when used with athletes? It makes them sound like they worked for 40 years as a running back when they're lucky to make 3..
I have to admit..I'm retired from cleaning toilets at Burger King.. I think I did that once. These retirement checks just aren't what I thought they would be. I'm going to fire my financial planner.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote

I believe they drafted him then he went to FB and had shoulder issues that rookie year and we got him not long after that.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2016, 01:07 PM)grampahol Wrote: Dontcha just love the term 'retired' when used with athletes? It makes them sound like they worked for 40 years as a running back when they're lucky to make 3..
I have to admit..I'm retired from cleaning toilets at Burger King.. I think I did that once. These retirement checks just aren't what I thought they would be. I'm going to fire my financial planner.

You act like NFL players don't actually have to do anything. Sure, I get the sarcasm, but still.

They have to remain in physical condition. Be at every practice. Go to every meeting.

NFL teams pay you basically to use your body and knowledge of the playbook.

It's not like you get paid just to sit there.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2016, 06:09 PM)rob Wrote: He was okay. When you get replaced by Ben-Jarvis Green-Ellis, you show no real potential.

[Image: incredulous.gif]
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Yeah, sad shit man! Whatever

Brian Leonard came in as a FB/H-back for us and was the best pass catching one we have had.

Hewitt still has to live up to his H-back role IMHO...

Even tho Hewitt might be the 2nd best H-back in the league behind Reese.

Don't forget Brian Leonard's efforts as a Bengal and watch what the OP and most watched.

Dude was good at what he did and fell off as do most and all goods.
Reply/Quote
I still remember him fighting for a 1st down against the Steelers, getting it, and Carson throwing a TD pass with maybe 12 seconds on the clock to get us the win. I was a season ticket holder then and at the game. One of the greatest post-game celebrations ever (that I remember).

Reply/Quote
(07-21-2016, 09:38 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I still remember him fighting for a 1st down against the Steelers, getting it, and Carson throwing a TD pass with maybe 12 seconds on the clock to get us the win. I was a season ticket holder then and at the game. One of the greatest post-game celebrations ever (that I remember).

This is what i am talkin about, thanks Harley. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2016, 09:29 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, sad shit man! Whatever

Brian Leonard came in as a FB/H-back for us and was the best pass catching one we have had.

Hewitt still has to live up to his H-back role IMHO...

Even tho Hewitt might be the 2nd best H-back in the league behind Reese.

Don't forget Brian Leonard's efforts as a Bengal and watch what the OP and most watched.

Dude was good at what he did and fell off as do most and all goods.

Leonard could not make plays if he was the lone playmaker, but with all that talent around him, he excelled.  I think those final pieces of the puzzle (Hewitt, Burkhead, and maybe Kumerow/Alford) are those extra little "nuts and bolts" pieces that we need to be a championship team.  I really liked how the Bengals used Leonard, and how they have also used Hewitt.  
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2016, 09:38 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I still remember him fighting for a 1st down against the Steelers, getting it, and Carson throwing a TD pass with maybe 12 seconds on the clock to get us the win. I was a season ticket holder then and at the game. One of the greatest post-game celebrations ever (that I remember).

That was on 4th and 10 too! Chris Crocker said that year that Leonard was the team MVP.

As a Rutgers fan, obviously Leonard was one of my favorite players. Class act all the way. He hosts an annual bowling tournament at the Chelsea Piers in NYC. Lots of Bengals/Rutgers/Giants/Jets show up to help. My brother who is a Giants fan went a few times and got me an Ochocinco signed football. One particular year I was going to go with him and at the last minute had to cancel. My brother didn't go for the first time ever himself. Anyway, Geno Atkins was there along with Andy Dalton and Ray Rice (before his troubles). I was pissed I didn't go when I found out Atkins was there.
Reply/Quote