Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brian Simmons Is A Scout
Randomly just found that out. One of our best linebackers is actually a NFL scout for the Jacksonville Jaguars. I was e-mailing someone about scouting courses and possibility on interning with a team scout, so I decided to look up some information on NFL scouts. Wound up finding Brian Simmons. I don't know, I just found it to be a cool find.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2015, 09:11 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Randomly just found that out. One of our best linebackers is actually a NFL scout for the Jacksonville Jaguars. I was e-mailing someone about scouting courses and possibility on interning with a team scout, so I decided to look up some information on NFL scouts. Wound up finding Brian Simmons. I don't know, I just found it to be a cool find.

Wonder if this is the first step on a career in personnel and front office or does anyone start in scouting and end up a coach?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(06-26-2015, 10:37 AM)McC Wrote: Wonder if this is the first step on a career in personnel and front office or does anyone start in scouting and end up a coach?

I would guess probably the former.  As we have seen within the Bengals organization that being able to recognize and assemble talent, and developing that talent and getting it to play up to expectations, are two entirely different things.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2015, 10:42 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I would guess probably the former.  As we have seen within the Bengals organization that being able to recognize and assemble talent, and developing that talent and getting it to play up to expectations, are two entirely different things.

Probably a grueling path on both sides.  FO people probably don't sleep at the stadium too often, though, so there is that.  Either way, it's gotta be something you really want, especially if you're a guy probably already in very good shape financially.   OTOH, the game has a way of staying in the blood long after the playing days are over.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(06-26-2015, 10:47 AM)McC Wrote: Probably a grueling path on both sides.  FO people probably don't sleep at the stadium too often, though, so there is that.  Either way, it's gotta be something you really want, especially if you're a guy probably already in very good shape financially.   OTOH, the game has a way of staying in the blood long after the playing days are over.

There is that aspect that the love for the game never leaves an individual.  Also, most high output individuals are not comfortable with "retiring" in their early 30s.  They feel a compulsive need to be productive, and utilize their talents.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2015, 11:07 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: There is that aspect that the love for the game never leaves an individual.  Also, most high output individuals are not comfortable with "retiring" in their early 30s.  They feel a compulsive need to be productive, and utilize their talents.

Exactly, and even though jobs like opening restaurants or investing in real estate can be challenging nothing compares to making a living in professional football.  Even if it is just as a scout there is still that juice you get from being part of an NFL team.
Reply/Quote
These guys play football for 20+ years, I can imagine that its hard to not want to be a part of the sport anymore. Some guys are cut out as team guys, and some guys find out coaching is another world that they cant relate to.
Reply/Quote
Simmons has been a scout for a while. I believe he became one for the Jags back in 09. He's become their top guy and even won AFC scout of the year back in February.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Gotta be a better coach than Marvin.

Amiright?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-26-2015, 10:37 AM)McC Wrote: Wonder if this is the first step on a career in personnel and front office or does anyone start in scouting and end up a coach?

He's been a scout for almost a decade now.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2015, 03:39 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: He's been a scout for almost a decade now.

Thnx.  Obviously. I did not know that.

Reply/Quote
(06-26-2015, 04:55 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Simmons has been a scout for a while. I believe he became one for the Jags back in 09. He's become their top guy and even won AFC scout of the year back in February.

Thanks google. Wink
"The Power of life and death is in the tongue"
Reply/Quote