Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bridge collapse in Pittsburgh
No smack, just reaching out well wishes to our members and their families hoping nobody was involved. I've heard so far zero deaths, but there were some injuries. Pretty scary stuff. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2022, 09:06 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: No smack, just reaching out well wishes to our members and their families hoping nobody was involved. I've heard so far zero deaths, but there were some injuries. Pretty scary stuff. 

When they said that it was in Frick Park, I thought that it was some small bridge over a stream on a side road through the park. Then I saw the picture with the bus. I never knew the name of the bridge, but I've been over it several times before. It's huge, it's high, and it carries Forbes Avenue (a major artery in the Oakland section) over a huge ravine. 

Im stunned no one was killed. A friend who is a Structural Engineer explained to me in structural engineering jargon that the design of the bridge is why it collapsed the way that it did, and why no one was killed. He said that another design would've probably resulted in a different type of collapse that would've probably been deadly. 
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2022, 06:16 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: When they said that it was in Frick Park, I thought that it was some small bridge over a stream on a side road through the park. Then I saw the picture with the bus. I never knew the name of the bridge, but I've been over it several times before. It's huge, it's high, and it carries Forbes Avenue (a major artery in the Oakland section) over a huge ravine. 

Im stunned no one was killed. A friend who is a Structural Engineer explained to me in structural engineering jargon that the design of the bridge is why it collapsed the way that it did, and why no one was killed. He said that another design would've probably resulted in a different type of collapse that would've probably been deadly. 

Wow. That's interesting. It could have been a tragedy for sure. Specially since people often walked under it. Think I read where some guy was walking his dog down there. It's just a blessing nobody was fatally injured.

Reply/Quote
(01-29-2022, 06:16 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: When they said that it was in Frick Park, I thought that it was some small bridge over a stream on a side road through the park. Then I saw the picture with the bus. I never knew the name of the bridge, but I've been over it several times before. It's huge, it's high, and it carries Forbes Avenue (a major artery in the Oakland section) over a huge ravine. 

I was just in oakland the day that happened.  I always stay near UPitt when Im in town.  I didnt go over that bridge this time but I have been over it on previous trips heading to or from the wheel mill bike park
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2022, 09:06 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: No smack...

I opened up this forum and thought "Jesus, where is he going to go with this?"  LOL  Thanks for restoring my faith in humanity.  

Glad no one was killed, and I hope they have a better version of the bridge up in a timely manner.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
This bridge promised to "raise Hell" 3 weeks ago. Ninja
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Here's hoping the Brent Spence doesn't suffer the same ending.
Reply/Quote