Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bridgewater in Cincinnati-no longer a hope
Teddy Bridgewater was traded to the Saints today. No word yet on what the Saints gave for him. So all you dreamers need to pin your hopes on another backup

Edit: Teddy plus a 6th rounder to the Saints, the Saints gave up a 3rd round pick. He went pretty damned cheap

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/08/29/reports-jets-trade-teddy-bridgewater-to-saints/

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Well there goes our season!
Reply/Quote
Hmm, the Jets signed a scrap-heap player and then got a 3rd round pick for him after 3 pre-season games? Not a bad move on their part! I'm sure they were hoping some starting QBs would go down and there would be a bidding war for him to start, but this is a fine return on nil for the Jets.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 04:51 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Hmm, the Jets signed a scrap-heap player and then got a 3rd round pick for him after 3 pre-season games?  Not a bad move on their part!  I'm sure they were hoping some starting QBs would go down and there would be a bidding war for him to start, but this is a fine return on nil for the Jets.

Yeah I wouldn't say the Saints got him for cheap.  Seems the Jets got the better part of that deal.  Maybe the plan is insurance for Brees with the possibility that Bridgewater may be Drew's replacement in a year or two.  That said Bridgewater has had 2 regular season snaps since the end of the 2015 season.  Both in week 15 of the 2017 season against the Bengals when the game was already a blowout and his only pass was an INT. So a 3rd round pick for a recovering QB that has not played a full regular season game since 2015 seems a bit pricey to me.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 04:51 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Hmm, the Jets signed a scrap-heap player and then got a 3rd round pick for him after 3 pre-season games?  Not a bad move on their part!  I'm sure they were hoping some starting QBs would go down and there would be a bidding war for him to start, but this is a fine return on nil for the Jets.

Suggested that we do the same in off season but nobody agreed. 

But he was still worth a 3rd round pick now even. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I'm kind of curious as to why the Saints would spend that pick for Bridgewater to be a backup. I watched the Saints/Chargers game on Saturday, and the Saints looked pretty well stocked in their QB depth.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 06:39 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Yeah I wouldn't say the Saints got him for cheap.  Seems the Jets got the better part of that deal.  Maybe the plan is insurance for Brees with the possibility that Bridgewater may be Drew's replacement in a year or two.  That said Bridgewater has had 2 regular season snaps since the end of the 2015 season.  Both in week 15 of the 2017 season against the Bengals when the game was already a blowout and his only pass was an INT.  So a 3rd round pick for a recovering QB that has not played a full regular season game since 2015 seems a bit pricey to me.

That's what I thought.  I assumed Bridgewater was going to the Broncos since they lack a vet QB and are likely going into the season with Case Keenum and Chad Kelly (Paxton Lynch has to get cut here, soon) and no legit vet backup, the Jaguars for when Bort Bortles Bort Bortles-es it up this year, or a team with QB injuries

A 3rd round pick to a team that doesn't need him now...odd. Then Again if a QB gets injured the Saints have a starting QB they don't need they can trade for a 1st.
Reply/Quote
Perfect situation for Bridgewater. People seem to forget that he was shaping up to be a franchise quarterback up in Minnesota before shredding his leg. With Minny very much in "win-now" mode they made a few moves that made keeping Bridgewater impossible. And with the Jets investing the third pick on a QB it was similarly unlikely right from the get go that he would stay long term there.

If this all works out, the Saints will look like geniuses. Bridgewater can learn behind a future hall of famer and hopefully get back on the field in a few years. Hard to not root for the guy.
Reply/Quote
I wanted him here! Cry
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2018, 08:05 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I wanted him here!   Cry

Me too. Kid is a surgeon throwing the ball and have never seen a QB read defenses as well as him. Pro Bowl player to boot. 

Bengals should have pulled the trigger on this one, the Saints give a 3rd round pick up and get Bridgewater and a 6th round pick in return. 

Are you kidding me ? 

The only reason the Jets made the move is because of drafting Darnold so high and he looks good. Plus the players already loved McCown and he is their locker room leader. 

The Saints trade a 3rd, get a 6th and possibly their heir apparent in swap. That is a huge win with not a lot of gamble. 

Could always trade him as soon as a QB gets injured in a few weeks for a 1st or better. 

Do not see anyway the Saints can lose on this deal. Or any team that would have rolled the dice. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
It just amazes me that two teams not really in that bad of need for Bridgewater see the value when teams that could certainly use someone like Teddy did not even inquire it appears.

Oh well, good for Teddy to learn under Brees for a year or so before taking the wheel.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 07:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm kind of curious as to why the Saints would spend that pick for Bridgewater to be a backup.  I watched the Saints/Chargers game on Saturday, and the Saints looked pretty well stocked in their QB depth.

I'd say they're thinking Brees is nearing the end and they rolled the dice that Bridgewater can take over ?

(08-30-2018, 08:05 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I wanted him here!   Cry

Me 2

(08-30-2018, 09:23 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Me too. Kid is a surgeon throwing the ball and have never seen a QB read defenses as well as him. Pro Bowl player to boot. 

Bengals should have pulled the trigger on this one, the Saints give a 3rd round pick up and get Bridgewater and a 6th round pick in return. 

Are you kidding me ? 

The only reason the Jets made the move is because of drafting Darnold so high and he looks good. Plus the players already loved McCown and he is their locker room leader. 

The Saints trade a 3rd, get a 6th and possibly their heir apparent in swap. That is a huge win with not a lot of gamble. 

Could always trade him as soon as a QB gets injured in a few weeks for a 1st or better. 

Do not see anyway the Saints can lose on this deal. Or any team that would have rolled the dice. 

A good gamble indeed most likely. 

I doubt they were bringing Bridgewater here even if they could have got him for a bag of chips and a beer. Don't want a QB controversy going.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 07:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm kind of curious as to why the Saints would spend that pick for Bridgewater to be a backup.  I watched the Saints/Chargers game on Saturday, and the Saints looked pretty well stocked in their QB depth.

Maybe they traded a 3rd for what will be a 1st in a few weeks when the need arises. Plus got a 6th as well. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 07:31 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Suggested that we do the same in off season but nobody agreed. 

But he was still worth a 3rd round pick now even. 

You sure about that 'Cards? Smirk

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote