Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Bring Back Jay Gruden for Head Coach
(12-07-2020, 11:30 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Probably about the only "experienced" coach they could get. 

Joe Burrow is an attractive incentive

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
He failed in Washington with a "difficult" owner, I doubt he will do better here with the Bengals infamous ownership. OC sure, HC definitely no. I want a HC who has had at least 2-3 winning seasons. No less.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2020, 11:37 PM)Browns Town Bengal Wrote: The night before a game?  Really?

Yup, best part is he had a Bengals sweatshirt inside out and he was sh1t faced.......appeared to be with his wife or girlfriend.

No one really recognized him except our group (lets be honest most fans dont know a teams coordinators esp Jay he was early in his NFL career)
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2020, 10:06 PM)Bronxbengal Wrote: 1.  Knows the “Bengal” way
2.  Works very well with young QB’s
3.  Offense was very potent when he was the Bengals coordinator
4.  Not wet behind the ears like ZT.  He has experience and a network of other assistant coaches who are better than the trash we have
5.  Did a decent job with a difficult situation at Washington
6.  We need a change

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am actually falling in line with this idea.  Here's a few things I would add to what you already mentioned:

1.)  He was able to teach his offense and get good results in a very short turnaround with no OTAs and a couple rookies leading the offense.  

2.) He plays to the strengths of his players.  He doesn't try to make someone something they aren't.  

3.) He stays better balanced.  The 2011 offense rushed the ball 415 times.  With just four games remaining, the Bengals have rushed the ball just 229 times.  The 2011 offense passed the ball 534 times, while this year's team has thrown the ball 469 times with four games remaining.  Of note: the two wins this season yielded two of the more balanced offensive gameplans:  Jax 36 pass/34 rush.  Tenn 37 pass/32 rush.  Even when your rushing attack isn't busting out 4-6 yards early in a game, you simply can't abandon it and become one dimensional.  It makes you too easy to defend and exposes your QB.  See the week 2 game against the Browns and virtually any game against pitt and you will see a team that didn't abandon the run when it wasn't working that well early and the dividends it paid later in the game.

4.) Having been around the league now for over a decade, Gruden is connected.  He would have no problem forming a quality staff around him. 

5.) Gruden is hilarious.  I know that sounds stupid, but the guy is an absolute riot.  He is VERY direct, and has no room for BS.  I think his players appreciate that.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 09:17 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: He failed in Washington with a "difficult" owner, I doubt he will do better here with the Bengals infamous ownership. OC sure, HC definitely no. I want a HC who has had at least 2-3 winning seasons. No less.

Uh, he went 9-7 and 8-7-1 in his second and third season in Washington.  This, taking over a team that had previously sold everything to move up to get RGIII.  Don't think that didn't handicap the talent around him the entire time he was there.  

Look at how his offense has done this year in Jax with who???  He is on his third QB and they still took the Vikings to OT in Minnesota.

And I am not trying to single you out on this, but do we really want to go with another young guy and have him try to build a staff of NFL coaches?  The reason the Bengals were successful in 2011-2015 had a lot to do with the quality of the OC, DC, and ST coaches.  I think Gruden would know who he would want and could build a staff that would be quality.  
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 09:57 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Uh, he went 9-7 and 8-7-1 in his second and third season in Washington.  This, taking over a team that had previously sold everything to move up to get RGIII.  Don't think that didn't handicap the talent around him the entire time he was there.  

Look at how his offense has done this year in Jax with who???  He is on his third QB and they still took the Vikings to OT in Minnesota.

And I am not trying to single you out on this, but do we really want to go with another young guy and have him try to build a staff of NFL coaches?  The reason the Bengals were successful in 2011-2015 had a lot to do with the quality of the OC, DC, and ST coaches.  I think Gruden would know who he would want and could build a staff that would be quality.  

Interesting, I dont remember his winning seasons.. probably cause his firing was pretty harsh and the egging from the pundits too.  He meets the criteria then, bring him in for an interview. Big Grin
Reply/Quote
Noooooooooooooooooo some one who has never been a bengals coach. Like Zack. Who Dey
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2020, 12:01 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: The bigger question... did he win?

If he banged a player's girlfriend, I would say he did.  
Reply/Quote
Jay Gruden HC
Hue Jackson OC
__________ DC
Darren Simmons ST

Even with the ?  at DC there's still more experience and competence proven here.

It's realistic and we know their production levels working with The Family/Tobin.

Burrow isn't the one who needs to be coached up.

What we DO NEED is an eye for offensive talent and the ability to use it.

Maybe we'll find out if Drew Sample is a "bum" or if Uzomah is worthy of being a starting TE as well.

They might just dump them both!

Those two would know that O-line needs to be fixed and would be the first thing addressed.

I highly doubt they would ignore that the offense is unbalanced and that Joe needs the running game to change L into Ws.

Getting the most out of Mixon, Gio, and 3rd RB(Williams/Perine/2021 mid-late rd pick)

Producing more from the TE Position too.

The biggest question here is who this team could attract as a DC?  Wade Phillips?

This might be where you want to take a chance on an up and coming coach.

At this point in time I think the Bengals ownership want to get the team over .500 and don't care about "culture change".

[Image: th?id=OIP.icJYrg3fTigp7a24c8YSLgHaEC&pid...=307&h=168]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Jay Gruden would be a clear upgrade from Zach.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2020, 12:20 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Jay Gruden would be a clear upgrade from Zach.

IF Zac is fired, and I had to put odds on who our next HC is...I'd put:

Jay - 30%
Guenther - 20%
Hue Jackson - 10%
Leslie Frazier - 10%
Simmons - 5%
Bieniemy - 5%
Other - 20%
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2020, 11:31 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m sure they could get Hue...

WhoDey2 I'm all for Hue for OC. Zac stops calling plays. Hue had Andy Dalton mentioned in MVP talks until he broke his thumb. Just think what he could do with JoeB & Co...
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
Any past head coach that is available was fired for a reason.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2020, 11:28 PM)corpjet Wrote: I think he would be a way better option than Zac but in Washington he was caught...

1.  Banging a players girlfriend
2.  Accused of drinking/partying a lot

Needless to say You can’t have that out of the HC leading a team.

I saw first hand his “drinking prowess” in Nashville several years back as he was hammered on Broadway at 3am, the night before the game.

Don’t get me wrong I love a good party but I want the guy leading my team to be a little more under control

never heard these stories....? I was into it until I read this....if true
no thx
Reply/Quote
Jay Gruden is now the OC with the Jags.
In 2019 with John DiFilippo as OC, they were 26th in Points For and 20th in Total Yards.
In 2020, the Jags are 27th in Points For and 24th in Total Yards.

The sad part is they actually added two weapons to the offense this past offseason: Laviska Shenault in the draft and Tyler Eifert in FA.
They did cut Fournette, who had 1600+ yards from scrimmage in 2019, but they are getting great production from UDFA James Robinson with nearly 1300 yards from scrimmage through 12 games.

He wasn't a great HC in DC, and the offense in JAX has declined with him calling plays.
He's not in my Top 10 for new HCs, but I would still take him over Taylor I guess.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-10-2020, 04:09 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Any past head coach that is available was fired for a reason.

Like winning 4 games in 2 years? Pretty good reason to fire a HC right there.

Reply/Quote
(12-10-2020, 04:09 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Any past head coach that is available was fired for a reason.
Bill Belichek was fired by Art Modell.
Paul.Brown was fired by Art Modell.
Forrest Gregg was fired by Art Modell.
Alot of NFL head coaches were fired went on to success
Elaewhere. I think Andy Reid got fired. Not sure
Zac Taylor I promise you if he is fired by the Bengals 
Will never be a head coach in the NFL again.
Hes the worst HC in NFL history
Reply/Quote
A big thing to remember is the new HC is going to have to be a great talent evaluator due to coaches doubling as scouts. Here's the offensive players drafted during Jay's tenure here...

AJ Green
Andy Dalton
Clint Boling
Ryan Whalen
Jay Finley

Kevin Zeitler
Mohammed Sanu
Orson Charles
Marvin Jones
Boom Herron

Tyler Eifert
Giovanni Bernard
Tanner Hawkinson
Rex Burkhead
Cobi Hamilton
Reid Fragel
TJ Johnson

That's a pretty good track record.
Reply/Quote
Marvin's name is being thrown around as someone who is going to get some interviews this offseason. If he lands as HC somewhere I wouldn't be surprised if Jay comes in as his OC.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Marvin absolutely deserves another shot somewhere else. Watch him finally win a playoff game for another team...

Reply/Quote