Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bring Jay Gruden back?
(12-16-2017, 07:12 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Hell no.

Gruden proved while here that he's bad at game management, which is something we all bash Marvin for.

I remember one game when we were leading with the ball and the other team had two (I think) timeouts. Instead of running the ball and making them use their timeouts, he throws on first and second down, both incomplete, and then runs on third down, which they load the box, stop it easy, call timeout, force us to punt, and they drive down the field with a timeout to score and win.

Gruden also feels like he loses players' confidence and never has them motivated in the first place, which is something we also bash Marvin for.

No to Gruden. Bring in a winner.
I believe that was against the Cowboys.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2017, 07:12 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: No to Gruden. Bring in a winner.

If a winner wants to do things the Mike Brown way, I'm all for it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Consensus about Gruden seems to be "Well, we could do worse." Hell, we have that assurance now with Merv. Maybe we can aim a little higher as an organization with this next HC?
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2017, 08:26 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Consensus about Gruden seems to be "Well, we could do worse."  Hell, we have that assurance now with Merv.  Maybe we can aim a little higher as an organization with this next HC?

"We could do worse" should be the Bengals' motto, so I'm not surprised.  My reasons for being more than OK with Gruden involve lot's of "it could be worse" but also a good amount of "He saved us from Ryan Mallett" and wanting an offensive-minded HC for a change.  Clearly Mike Brown is the special kind of GM with over a quarter of a century of experience who needs his coaches to bail him out of making bad moves SO I'm assuming Gruden could hop back in on that where an outsider might have to just fall in line.

Time will tell, but that's my take.
Reply/Quote
I'm all for Jay Gruden he is an excellent quarterback coach and a decent offensive coordinator. Pair Gruden up with a good staff and I think he could be very successful as a head coach.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2017, 08:33 PM)Synric Wrote: I'm all for Jay Gruden he is an excellent quarterback coach and a decent offensive coordinator. Pair Gruden up with a good staff and I think he could be very successful as a head coach.

Jay Gruden would be great. Pauly would stay as DC and AHV probably. Certainly Alexander would be gone and Bill Callahan would be out OL coach. And many more staff changes outside of Pauly and who he could sell to Jay.

Funny how many complaine about him and cheered when he left.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2017, 07:12 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Hell no.

Gruden proved while here that he's bad at game management, which is something we all bash Marvin for.

I remember one game when we were leading with the ball and the other team had two (I think) timeouts. Instead of running the ball and making them use their timeouts, he throws on first and second down, both incomplete, and then runs on third down, which they load the box, stop it easy, call timeout, force us to punt, and they drive down the field with a timeout to score and win.

Gruden also feels like he loses players' confidence and never has them motivated in the first place, which is something we also bash Marvin for.

No to Gruden. Bring in a winner.
No. Gruden learned too much from Lewis. We don't need Lewis 2.0. I feel the same with any existing coach promotions.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2017, 12:14 PM)corpjet Wrote: Whats your thoughts on bringing Jay Gruden back as our HC once he gets fired in Washington?

There should be others higher on our candidate list but lets look at the Pros and Cons of hiring Jay...

Pros
- Has HC experience
- Knows the Bengals front office and their drama
- Familiar with our players/system
- Did a solid job as OC here
- Offensive Minded

Cons
- 26-34 in 4 seasons in Washington
- Was part of his success due to Sean McVay
- ?????

Is he enough of a disciplinarian to straighten up guys like Vontaze? Lets hear your thoughts.....

Probably wishful thinking, but hope we can do better.
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote