Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bring back Gio?
Do you think the Bengals should bring back Gio next season? He's a much better pass blocker than Perine
Reply/Quote
Yes.
Reply/Quote
Does he want to return? More of a problem Mixon one of the worst blitz pickup players in the league. If we want to continue to be pass heavy Mixon doesn't fit.
Reply/Quote
How is Chris Evans at blocking?
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
If the price made sense, then yes, replace Perine with Gio. Cincinnati could run some dual back sets with Evans/Gio as receiving options with Chase, Tee and Boyd on the outside. You'd essentially be replacing Uzomah with Gio or Evans in this scenario, both of whom are likely more dynamic receiving threats.
Reply/Quote
Lol....I guess by this logic we should put Mugsy Bogues at power forward. (just kidding)

He's 5'9 205. I feel like anytime we had an important pass play where we needed backfield blocking, we used Hill over Bernard in the backfield. I've never thought of Bernard being able to fill that role.

Separately, I really like what I saw from Chris Evans this year. He's also 2 inches and 20 pounds larger than Gio. Considering the shelf life of RBs, I don't think it would be unreasonable to see Evans elevated to starter and Mixon leave at the end of his contract.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 02:35 PM)basballguy Wrote: Separately, I really like what I saw from Chris Evans this year.  He's also 2 inches and 20 pounds larger than Gio.  Considering the shelf life of RBs, I don't think it would be unreasonable to see Evans elevated to starter and Mixon leave at the end of his contract.

Are we thinking of different running backs? Chris Evans is 211 pounds to Bernard's 205 pounds. They are fairly similar in size aside from the height difference. 
Reply/Quote
We missed Gio as he is still one of the best pass protect backs in football.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 03:01 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Are we thinking of different running backs? Chris Evans is 211 pounds to Bernard's 205 pounds. They are fairly similar in size aside from the height difference. 

My initial thought was "I think Gio is too small to be a reliable pass blocking back".  I used ESPN for stats and they got Evans at 219lb.   

Yes, 211 and 205 is a much closer difference.  
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
Evans is the new Gio. I'd like to bring back Jacques Patrick; that 234 lb. guy ran hard.
Reply/Quote
I think we missed him in pass protection this year. But we are also going towards younger backs. I don't see a return likely. Gotta coach up the young backs at this point. I liked what I saw from Evans as a runner and receiver. Perine has been okay I guess. Up and down.
Reply/Quote
With the investments needed to upgrade the OL, and re-sign key players already on the roster, I would see sinking any significant money into the RB position to be counterproductive. Not that I don't appreciate Gio Bernard, the guy saved Andy Dalton from hundreds of bone jarring hits in his time here.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I'd take him for the min but that is highly unlikely... so no.

I want Chris Evans to play a larger role next season.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 10:05 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: With the investments needed to upgrade the OL, and re-sign key players already on the roster, I would see sinking any significant money into the RB position to be counterproductive.  Not that I don't appreciate Gio Bernard, the guy saved Andy Dalton from hundreds of bone jarring hits in his time here.

I like Gio, but RB's don't age like fine wine.  If we sign him and cut Perrine, we still don't have anyone to carry the load if Mixon goes down or hits the wall.  

We should really look at drafting a RB on Day 2.  You would think it's a waste with how much we pay Mixon, but when Mixon is such a liability as a blocker that you can't put him on the field during the 2 minute drill of the SB, there's a need there.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2022, 01:33 AM)Whatever Wrote: I like Gio, but RB's don't age like fine wine.  If we sign him and cut Perrine, we still don't have anyone to carry the load if Mixon goes down or hits the wall.  

We should really look at drafting a RB on Day 2.  You would think it's a waste with how much we pay Mixon, but when Mixon is such a liability as a blocker that you can't put him on the field during the 2 minute drill of the SB, there's a need there.

Actually, I feel like many of us are anticipating Chris Evans taking a larger role in the offense this year.  Honestly, RB is not a position that I'm worried about, as RBs are fairly easy to come by.  I don't feel like they need to look at RB before the 3rd day of the draft, they don't need to throw money at one in free agency.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2022, 09:08 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Actually, I feel like many of us are anticipating Chris Evans taking a larger role in the offense this year.  Honestly, RB is not a position that I'm worried about, as RBs are fairly easy to come by.  I don't feel like they need to look at RB before the 3rd day of the draft, they don't need to throw money at one in free agency.  

RB's are not that easy to come by anymore.  There was no 1000 yard rusher that was drafted outside of the first 3 rounds this year and only two in the Top 20 in rushing this year.  

On top of that, we haven't hit on a Day 3 RB since Rudi Johnson like 20 years ago.  

I don't trust a 6th round pick who got benched in college and had 17 carries last year in spot duty to carry the load for a SB contender if Mixon goes down.  I don't think we are doing enough to protect Burrow if we are sticking him in a situation where he will have to throw 50+ times a game if one guy gets injured.
Reply/Quote
I think they just need to get a good FB instead. He could solve the pass blocking problem while catching a few out of the backfield as well. There's also not a ton of competition at the end of the draft for the FB types.

Might also help Mixon convert some short distance downs.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote