Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals @ Eagles 1997
Been looking for this game for a long time. Finally found it. It is Boomer's only loss as a starting QB in '97--though he did light it up--but those white on white unis...smokin!!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2021, 09:15 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Been looking for this game for a long time. Finally found it. It is Boomer's only loss as a starting QB in '97--though he did light it up--but those white on white unis...smokin!!

Agreed on the uniform front... I always thought we should've wore those at home back then so we'd basically always be in them like Dallas always wears their white jerseys.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2021, 09:15 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Been looking for this game for a long time. Finally found it. It is Boomer's only loss as a starting QB in '97--though he did light it up--but those white on white unis...smokin!!

Is my memory correct that this was Boomer's final game in the NFL?

I'm thinking he retired and went into broadcasting after that season, then we drafted Takeo Spikes with our first pick in the next draft.  Boomer was covering the event, and interviewed Coslett after the pick.  He asked why they went with a LB when the starting QB had just retired.  Coslett's answer was along the lines of "you scored over forty points in your last game, and yet you lost.  We need more defense."
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2021, 09:42 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Is my memory correct that this was Boomer's final game in the NFL?

I'm thinking he retired and went into broadcasting after that season, then we drafted Takeo Spikes with our first pick in the next draft.  Boomer was covering the event, and interviewed Coslett after the pick.  He asked why they went with a LB when the starting QB had just retired.  Coslett's answer was along the lines of "you scored over forty points in your last game, and yet you lost.  We need more defense."

Not his final game but his final season. He came in for a dinged up Jeff Blake against the Colts and lead the team to a win. Coslet went back to Blake the next week against Pitt and the Bengals lost. The following week, Boomer started against the Jags and including that game, went 5-1 to end the year. This game against the Eagles was the 1 loss, but Boomer threw for almost 400 yds and i think 4 TDs (think because i paused it in the first qtr and i've been doing other stuff up to now--so i can resume watching it again after this post). 

That year, i went to the opening game last second win against the Cards--which was pretty cool because that was the day of the WEBN fireworks and me and a group of friends started the day with the Bengals game, caught some live music at Sawyer Point (including Jackyl) and finished the night with fireworks. I was also at the Tennessee game on Thurs night when Corey broke the rookie rushing record (by myself--dunno why the other dudes weren't with me that night) and the very last game vs Baltimore where Boomer's last pass of his career was a 77 yd TD to Darnay Scott.

Boomer did leave (with a nice push by Mike Brown) after that year to take the MNF job, where he only lasted 2 years  Whatever . 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote