Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Britney Griner Released In Prisoner Swap
Britney Griner hates America, knowingly broke Russian law, gets put in jail, and now she's being freed in exchange for a terrorist that conspired to kill Americans.

What a joke.

Biden continues to embarrass this country:

Quote:Griner was freed from a Russian penal colony on Thursday in a prisoner exchange for convicted Russian arms dealer Viktor Bout, a U.S. official confirmed to Fox News.

U.S. and Russian officials have expressed optimism in recent weeks about a potential deal for Griner. A top Russian official said last week that a deal was possible before year’s end.

Griner was arrested at Sheremetyevo Airport in Moscow on Feb. 17 after Russian authorities said she had vape cartridges with cannabis oil inside her luggage. On Aug. 4, Griner was given a nine-year sentence after pleading guilty, arguing that she had been prescribed cannabis for her pain and inadvertently packed it. Her sentence was upheld in October, and she was later transferred to a penal colony.

Bout is known as the "Merchant of Death" and the possible swap for him was floated back in May. He was in the middle of a 25-year sentence in federal prison after he was convicted of conspiracy to kill Americans relating to the support of a Colombian terrorist organization.

He bows to our enemies and endangers this country to free someone that hates us.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2022, 12:03 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Britney Griner hates America, knowingly broke Russian law, gets put in jail, and now she's being freed in exchange for a terrorist that conspired to kill Americans.

What a joke.

Biden continues to embarrass this country:

He bows to our enemies and endangers this country to free someone that hates us.

Trump brokered the release of 5k Taliban fighters who very much interested in killing Americans. This is how the politics game works.

Side Note: I don't like either situation, more so pointing out that prisoner "swaps" where we are on the losing end are unfortunately common for us.
Reply/Quote
Worst trade since Bergdahl for the Taliban Five?

Are we sure the US Government doesn't have some former Browns GMs as their prisoner swap negotiators?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I'm glad she's coming home.

The reason this trade feels unfair is simple.

We are requesting they release someone who did nothing wrong based on our and the vast majority of the developed world's morality. Having prescribed cannibis oil in your suit case is not worthy of 9 years in prison. It isn't even worthy of a day in the Airport security office.

Yes, it's "illegal" in Russia. But there's all kinds of dumb bullshit that is illegal in Russia. That's why we call it an authoritarian state.

So, how do we, as America, convince Russia, an authoritarian state that does not care about its people or the people who visit its country, get them to release an innocent person back into our custody, especially in a global climate where we are assisting their enemy in embarrassing them on a global stage?

We overpay.

That's how it works.

Britney being released is the correct thing to occur and the only way we could facilitate that correct outcome was to return an actual criminal.

Because, unlike Russia, America generally does not arrest foreign nationals who did nothing wrong. There are probably exceptions, but we're generally in step with the global morality of what should and should not be illegal. So there's a really good chance that this guy we traded was the "least bad" Russian national we have.
Reply/Quote
I'm glad she was released. That said, I don't think she inadvertently packed her drugs. Her explanation was a lie.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2022, 12:53 PM)Goalpost Wrote: I'm glad she was released.  That said, I don't think she inadvertently packed her drugs.  Her explanation was a lie.

My spiteful side wanted to see her suffer a little longer just because she's an America hating trash talking POS (I hate that side of me when I recognize it,  seriously). But it will be nice to take one more thing out of the medias hands they use to fuel hate and separate the people. Now that she is out, you will hear nothing more of the soldier still imprisoned.

Reply/Quote
(12-08-2022, 12:47 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Because, unlike Russia, America generally does not arrest foreign nationals who did nothing wrong. There are probably exceptions, but we're generally in step with the global morality of what should and should not be illegal.

Well, there was Guantanamo. Something the global community won't overlook so easily.

@Grimer, what did she do that makes her such a POS in the eyes of many? Not that I think that should even matter much, but I wonder.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2022, 12:53 PM)Goalpost Wrote: I'm glad she was released.  That said, I don't think she inadvertently packed her drugs.  Her explanation was a lie.

The story I have heard is the Oligarchs who own the teams over there have essentially given the players free reign to do this for years. It is only now with tensions rising that it's a problem. Many of them are gay which is an issue in Russia but similarly they are left alone because the Oligarchs make it so. 
Reply/Quote
Meh, releasing a foreigner who conspired to kill Americans would have seemed like a bigger deal before conspiring to kill Americans became such a decidedly American thing.

(12-08-2022, 01:12 PM)hollodero Wrote: @Grimer, what did she do that makes her such a POS in the eyes of many? Not that I think that should even matter much, but I wonder.

I don't know...she probably said stuff about America being an unfair shithole, which is also a real common thing for Americans to say these days, so meh.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2022, 01:12 PM)hollodero Wrote: Well, there was Guantanamo. Something the global community won't overlook so easily.

@Grimer, what did she do that makes her such a POS in the eyes of many? Not that I think that should even matter much, but I wonder.

She floated the idea that the anthem need not be played before WNBA games and that she wouldn't be present when it is played.

As a foreigner, you wouldn't understand  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
Seems like a bad trade....
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2022, 01:12 PM)hollodero Wrote: Well, there was Guantanamo. Something the global community won't overlook so easily.

Fair point. America is trash too haha.

Quote:@Grimer, what did she do that makes her such a POS in the eyes of many? Not that I think that should even matter much, but I wonder.

I think she protested during the national anthem at a WNBA game. Probably talked about institutional racism.

Republicans hate that shit.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2022, 02:21 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Seems like a bad trade....

Crap, now people are going to want to make Jerry Jones the president. 
Reply/Quote
I feel like the one group that will really feel this trade will be Ukraine. It won't take this guy long to get back up and running and he is now in debt to Russia for getting him out. There will be a huge uptick in Ukrainian deaths and some athlete isn't worth that loss of life.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(12-08-2022, 03:05 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I feel like the one group that will really feel this trade will be Ukraine. It won't take this guy long to get back up and running and he is now in debt to Russia for getting him out. There will be a huge uptick in Ukrainian deaths and some athlete isn't worth that loss of life.

So trading this guy for Griner is an "America First" sort of move, then.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2022, 12:14 PM)Au165 Wrote: Trump brokered the release of 5k Taliban fighters who very much interested in killing Americans. This is how the politics game works.

Side Note: I don't like either situation, more so pointing out that prisoner "swaps" where we are on the losing end are unfortunately common for us.

For, what, a thousand US "prisoners" that did nothing wrong? 

And were those Taliban fighters a threat to US citizens on US soil? 

This dude that Biden traded for Biden conspired to kill Americans and traded arms globally, but were the Taliban fighters a threat to anyone outside of Afghanistan?

Can't compare the two and anyone attempting to justify this move with that example is obviously just a Trump hater and/or a Biden enthusiast.
Reply/Quote
**** that Marine, I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2022, 03:37 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: For, what, a thousand US "prisoners" that did nothing wrong? 

And were those Taliban fighters a threat to US citizens on US soil? 

This dude that Biden traded for Biden conspired to kill Americans and traded arms globally, but were the Taliban fighters a threat to anyone outside of Afghanistan?

Can't compare the two and anyone attempting to justify this move with that example is obviously just a Trump hater and/or a Biden enthusiast.

The word “Trump” being literally the first word in response to the OP was funny.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2022, 12:47 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I'm glad she's coming home.

The reason this trade feels unfair is simple.

We are requesting they release someone who did nothing wrong based on our and the vast majority of the developed world's morality. Having prescribed cannibis oil in your suit case is not worthy of 9 years in prison. It isn't even worthy of a day in the Airport security office.

Yes, it's "illegal" in Russia. But there's all kinds of dumb bullshit that is illegal in Russia. That's why we call it an authoritarian state.

So, how do we, as America, convince Russia, an authoritarian state that does not care about its people or the people who visit its country, get them to release an innocent person back into our custody, especially in a global climate where we are assisting their enemy in embarrassing them on a global stage?

We overpay.

That's how it works.

Britney being released is the correct thing to occur and the only way we could facilitate that correct outcome was to return an actual criminal.

Because, unlike Russia, America generally does not arrest foreign nationals who did nothing wrong. There are probably exceptions, but we're generally in step with the global morality of what should and should not be illegal. So there's a really good chance that this guy we traded was the "least bad" Russian national we have.
She broke their laws, knowingly or not. And you can't compare the punishment she would or wouldn't have received in America to what she received in Russia because, once you leave America and go over there, it's their rules. 

And it's not about overpaying, it's about endangering other American lives to bring home a woman that broke another country's laws and was rightfully punished.
I'm glad she's free but I'm not glad that she was traded for this guy. 
(12-08-2022, 02:21 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Seems like a bad trade....

"Bad" doesn't even begin to scratch the service of how horrible this deal was.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2022, 03:40 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: **** that Marine, I guess.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yeah, that's another thing that no one has mentioned..........

PissedPissedPissedPissedPissedPissed
(12-08-2022, 03:41 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: The word “Trump” being literally the first word in response to the OP was funny.

Quote:“Trump Derangement Syndrome (TDS) is a mental condition in which a person has been driven effectively insane due to their dislike of Donald Trump, to the point at which they will abandon all logic and reason.”

I would also add they irrationally blame Trump for all problems, past and present, regardless of how illogical it may be. 
Reply/Quote