Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brock Osweiler signs with Texans; gets 4 years $72
I don't know if this was expected by the Broncos, but they're now without a QB after Brock signed with Houston. Dude is getting $18m a year after 7 career starts. WOW!
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Just shows you how desperate teams are for a QB. Any guy who even looks like he can do the job will find a spot somewhere.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2016, 03:51 PM)McC Wrote: Just shows you how desperate teams are for a QB.  Any guy who even looks like he can do the job will find a spot somewhere.

The recent draft classes have been weak so it's not a surprise that teams like the Texans hand out money to guys like Osweiler.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
The Broncos signed Sanchez to a deal. I guess he replaces Peyton this year. I expect them to draft a QB too.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2016, 01:38 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: The Broncos signed Sanchez to a deal. I guess he replaces Peyton this year. I expect them to draft a QB too.

I can see the Broncos trading for a QB right around the draft.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
The Titans signed Matt Cassel I wonder if the Broncos are looking into some other QB's like Zach Mettenberger or perhaps Mike Glennon down in Tampa.
Reply/Quote
Seriously though, outside of their first ever pick as a franchise have the Texans ever taken a QB high in the draft?
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2016, 01:58 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Seriously though, outside of their first ever pick as a franchise have the Texans ever taken a QB high in the draft?

they went from Carr to Schaub i think then the last 2 years have been a mess. savage was the last they drafted. 3rd round i think

But a guy that has 4 years learning from peyton has to be better than a rookie right?

Not sure i could have done that financial commitment though for a guy with a 1/2 of a season starting experience.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2016, 02:09 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: they went from Carr to Schaub i think then the last 2 years have been a mess.  savage was the last they drafted. 3rd round i think

But a guy that has 4 years learning from peyton has to be better than a rookie right?

Not sure i could have done that financial commitment though for a guy with a 1/2 of a season starting experience.

Well they had Ryan Mallett who while he had no starting experience had what 3 or so years mentoring behind Tom Brady? At least they know that Osweiler has produced with a good enough team around him. They got some decent pieces and he should hopefully only get better as he garners more experience. I say he has a so so year nothing horribly bad nothing worth $15 million.

Plus O'Brien made that Penn State QB look so darn good when he was there. I say if he falls into the 3rd or 4th round they should go ahead and grab him as plan C.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2016, 02:09 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: they went from Carr to Schaub i think then the last 2 years have been a mess.  savage was the last they drafted. 3rd round i think

That's what I mean...they used their first ever pick on Carr and then traded for Schaub.  They drafted Yates and Savage super-late, so really they've made one single high-draft for a QB.

Texans' picks used for QBs

Savage - 135
Yates - 152
Alex Brink (who the hell is this guy?) - 223 (oh, that explains it)
BJ Symons - 248 (see above)
Dave Raggone - 88
Drew Henson - 192
David Carr -1

That is their history of QB drafts.  One #1 overall pick for a brand new franchise with no o-line and that's about it.  I'm not saying Brock is the right or wrong move, it's just not surprising they haven't found a QB in the draft because they really aren't giving themselves a chance to find one.
Reply/Quote
Couldn't they have had Bortles and Carr? Wasn't that the year they had the top pick?
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2016, 10:55 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Couldn't they have had Bortles and Carr?   Wasn't that the year they had the top pick?

They could have taken either, but you're using a huge amount of hindsight on that one.  The Jaguars were rather criticized for taking Bortles so high, and a GM who used a 1st overall pick on Carr would have probably been fired before he got a chance to make a 2nd round selection.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2016, 08:06 PM)Nately120 Wrote: That's what I mean...they used their first ever pick on Carr and then traded for Schaub.  They drafted Yates and Savage super-late, so really they've made one single high-draft for a QB.

Texans' picks used for QBs

Savage - 135
Yates - 152
Alex Brink (who the hell is this guy?) - 223 (oh, that explains it)
BJ Symons - 248 (see above)
Dave Raggone - 88
Drew Henson - 192
David Carr -1

That is their history of QB drafts.  One #1 overall pick for a brand new franchise with no o-line and that's about it.  I'm not saying Brock is the right or wrong move, it's just not surprising they haven't found a QB in the draft because they really aren't giving themselves a chance to find one.

its the strategy they choose a guess after they broke the first Carr...

Build the rest of the team thru the draft and let some other team develop a QB then go get em. lol

TJ yates has played decent for them here and there but yeah either they are afraid the take the chance which it really is draft QBs or they think value is better at other positions.

This wont be the year either although they should still think about it cause Brock might not pan out and having a guy waiting and developing in your system for a few years can be very benefical.

i think its a little funny isnt kubiak the coach in denver... So his QB fled to his old team haha.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2016, 03:42 PM)Nately120 Wrote: They could have taken either, but you're using a huge amount of hindsight on that one.  The Jaguars were rather criticized for taking Bortles so high, and a GM who used a 1st overall pick on Carr would have probably been fired before he got a chance to make a 2nd round selection.

That's fine if Bortles scared you but no one stopped them from taking Carr in Rd 2.   Could have still gotten their DE.  
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2016, 06:38 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: That's fine if Bortles scared you but no one stopped them from taking Carr in Rd 2.   Could have still gotten their DE.  

Again, the Texans haven't signed a QB in what...the first 4 rounds since David Carr.  I can see how they might be shy about drafting his brother with the next decently high pick.  Oh lord, I'm glad Akili Smith never had a QB little brother!
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2016, 09:56 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Again, the Texans haven't signed a QB in what...the first 4 rounds since David Carr.  I can see how they might be shy about drafting his brother with the next decently high pick.  Oh lord, I'm glad Akili Smith never had a QB little brother!

Well that's just not trusting scouting.  If akili had a brother I would hope the bengals did a full work up and if his talented warranted a pick I would hope we would consider.   You can't draft scared.   Texans did and that's why they overpaid for BO
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2016, 10:24 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Well that's just not trusting scouting.  If akili had a brother I would hope the bengals did a full work up and if his talented warranted a pick I would hope we would consider.   You can't draft scared.   Texans did and that's why they overpaid for BO

Something about the Texans just makes them NEVER draft QBs high.  
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2016, 10:47 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Something about the Texans just makes them NEVER draft QBs high.  

Yeah I know.... And they wonder why they don't have a QB.   
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2016, 12:02 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Yeah I know.... And they wonder why they don't have a QB.   

In all fairness they got their only(?) pro bowl QB via trade in Matt Schlub. He's the best QB that franchise ever had, until further notice...but yea, to really only draft a single QB in the "starting QB" rounds is just odd.

Also, they had Ryan Fitzpatrick in 2014 and he was decent for the Jets and is one of those "can't believe this guy is going to get 15+ million" QBs at the moment.  
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2016, 02:24 PM)Nately120 Wrote: In all fairness they got their only(?) pro bowl QB via trade in Matt Schlub.  He's the best QB that franchise ever had, until further notice...but yea, to really only draft a single QB in the "starting QB" rounds is just odd.

Also, they had Ryan Fitzpatrick in 2014 and he was decent for the Jets and is one of those "can't believe this guy is going to get 15+ million" QBs at the moment.  

Fitz is good under Chan Gailey and Mike Martz.    Both of those guys have qb friendly offenses.   
Reply/Quote