Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Conversation with Willie Anderson (Fbook)
After watching yesterday, it seems to me that it is the basic stuff they teach in jr high that we don't get right. Stepping backwards on your first step, blocking your man towards the play with your head behind the guy instead of in front. I've never been an offensive lineman, but am I wrong? This should tell us it's both scheme and coaching. Stop this zone blocking crap and man up.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 11:45 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I really dont understand the whole organizational side of football sometimes. I mean, is it really as hard as people make it out to be? Does it really take that much time planning and studying in football? Like, how is it that our offensive line coach doesnt have the time to watch some tape, see the deficiencies that our offensive lineman/line have, and point them out? From there, the offensive lineman's job is to correct them. How hard can that seriously be?

How hard is it to just tell the offensive lineman, "hey guys! your first step shouldnt be backward, it should be forwards. You should be blocking your man downfield, not letting them into the backfield." Maybe its harder than that and im missing something. Doesnt seem like it, tho.

Maybe that is happening and our offensive lineman just arent good enough. If thats the case, then the blame should lay on the guy who wanted to draft these lineman out of college...

I've said it a long time but the scouting is a big drawback. That's why other teams have scouts.

But, you have your regular team practices. Then you have weight and conditioning sessions.

The NFL has limits on the amount of practices and amount of practices in pads.

I could see their being limited time for position work.
Reply/Quote
Doesn't Willie work at a place in the offseason that trains O linemen sounds like he is just trying to get more work in the offseason to me. Every team plays by the same rules if other teams can coach up their lines then the Bengals can too.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 04:06 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I've said it a long time but the scouting is a big drawback. That's why other teams have scouts.

But, you have your regular team practices. Then you have weight and conditioning sessions.

The NFL has limits on the amount of practices and amount of practices in pads.

I could see their being limited time for position work.

Tell the skill players to run their 7 on 7 and let the big boys practice what they need.  Of course if the scheme is terrible, then there's not much point.  I say if because there seems to be a lot of people who think that, but I don't know enough to comment on if that is true or not.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Willie just isn't wanting to offend anybody.

But we all know PA has failed terribly and we need a change at O-line Coach more than anything.

Maybe even more than Head Coach.

PA picked Bodine for this passive Zone Blocking Scheme which Bodine doesn't even fit. This is epicly bad by him.

We should of adjusted this Blocking Scheme to a more aggressive scheme as the year has went on cause it is blatantly
obvious that this passiveness doesn't work. O-lineman like to block aggressively, not passive. It is sabotaging our entire
team, specifically the running game. Which hinders our TOP and makes our Defense tired.

Dominos, man, dominos.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 03:16 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: You are kind of missing the point. He can't work with those guys in the offseason by rule. 

It's up to the players, now more than ever, to seek out additional work because the team isn't allowed to. 

9 weeks, 5 on field and with incredibly limited work is not enough time to "coach guys up" on the OL. 

Alexander still has opportunities to 'teach' even during the season - meetings, film room, practices, on the sidelines. The 'teaching' aspect isn't really affected by offseason limitations. Consider Dante Scarnecchia:

Speaking with a handful of Patriots linemen, they all gushed over Scarnecchia's even-keeled teaching and demand for pristine play.

"I feel so lucky to have been coached by him," left tackle Nate Solder said Monday night. "He's certainly helped me improve this season as he always has. And as a group, I think we've improved, and we continue to improve, and that's all a tribute to him and our hard work, for sure."

Solder called Scarnecchia an "excellent teacher," explaining: "He can break down the game so we can understand it. He can break it down so that we can play at a higher level. He's consistent, too. You'll see from day one of OTAs all the way to now -- Super Bowl practices -- we'll be doing the same drills because those drills translate. He harps on the same things that really help you improve your game."

"He teaches us every day and we roll with it and all work together."

Mason also went out of his way to praise Scarnecchia the teacher, describing his meetings as "all coaching -- it's all business."

Alexander - and every o-line coach - all have the same opportunities to 'teach/coach' as Scarnecciah does, whether they're doing so or not. I'm sure Alexander works hard, but I don't think his 'teaching methods' are working.

Regardless, sometimes - no matter how hard they may work - a coach just doesn't get the job done, which is where we are with Alexander. IMO, it's time for a new 'teacher'.
Reply/Quote
Maybe we should just have Mike Brown to petition the league to institute a 5 second blitz rule. Like in a pickup game with your friends, the defense has to count to "5-one-thousand" before they can cross the line of scrimmage. Then we don't have to fix the oline at all!
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Not really. They offered Whit the same amount of money he got elsewhere for a one year deal, they just weren't willing to be on him for 3 more years at his age. That may or may not have been the correct call, we will see how long he plays at a high level. Either way, that call was understandable to offer a 1 yr. deal. And Cleveland paid Zeitler insane money for a guard. Right or wrong, neither of those decisions by the Bengals were crazy.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 04:18 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Maybe we should just have Mike Brown to petition the league to institute a 5 second blitz rule. Like in a pickup game with your friends, the defense has to count to "5-one-thousand" before they can cross the line of scrimmage. Then we don't have to fix the oline at all!

It's steamboats.  Sonny.  Steamboats!!

[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
No time to teach no time!!!
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 04:18 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Maybe we should just have Mike Brown to petition the league to institute a 5 second blitz rule. Like in a pickup game with your friends, the defense has to count to "5-one-thousand" before they can cross the line of scrimmage. Then we don't have to fix the oline at all!

We used Mississippi 1, Mississippi 2, Mississippi 3.......

It wasn't especially effective when Billy from across the street played. He had a lisp so when he counted, the guys supposed to block him would fall over from laughing so hard, and he'd run right through.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 11:49 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: And another question is...then why arent coaches training guys in the off season? Last time I checked a football player is paid year round. Work on your craft during the off season and teach them when you dont have to watch as much tape and "paper work".

Collective bargaining agreement...they can't even work out at the facility. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote