Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The State Of The D-line
I have always been one of Peko's biggest defenders around here. For years has been one of those players who received a lot more hate from fans than he deserved. But even I agree that it is time to replace Domata as our primary starter at NT.

I'd be fine with signing him cheap to be a back up, but I doubt that happens. Right now we have a few guys who deserve a shot at more playing time at DT (DeShawn Williams, Marcus Hardison, Andrew Billings), but the fact is that none of them could amount to anything. Devon Still and Brandon Thompson were both more highly rated than any of those guys.

This would have been a great year for there to be a dominate DT worth the #9 pick, but I just don't see one.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2017, 01:47 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote:  Clarke is a nice "big" DE, but he's never going to be a guy that can get you off the field on 3rd down with pressure.  We need another guy like that.

Will Clark had one sack per every 93 snaps played.

Carlos Dunlap had one sack per every 105 snaps played.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 01:42 PM)samhain Wrote: I remember how excited many of us (including myself) were to get both Still and Thompson in the same draft. 

Same here.

We trdaed our #21 pick to get both Zeitler and Thompson.  At the time I felt we did really good with that deal.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2017, 12:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have always been one of Peko's biggest defenders around here.  For years has been one of those players who received a lot more hate from fans than he deserved. But even I agree that it is time to replace Domata as our primary starter at NT.  

I'd be fine with signing him cheap to be a back up, but I doubt that happens.  Right now we have a few guys who deserve a shot at more playing time at DT (DeShawn Williams, Marcus Hardison, Andrew Billings), but the fact is that none of them could amount to anything.  Devon Still and Brandon Thompson were both more highly rated than any of those guys.  

This would have been a great year for there to be a dominate DT worth the #9 pick, but I just don't see one.

I liked Billings way more than Still or Thompson. Wanted him in the 1st.

He is way stronger than either of those guys and is a better run stopper than both of those guys.

I think they were rated higher simply cause it was not near as deep of a draft at DT as last years draft was.

I like Nazair Jones the DT out of North Carolina this year in the mid rounds.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2017, 01:05 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Same here.

We trdaed our #21 pick to get both Zeitler and Thompson.  At the time I felt we did really good with that deal.

I thought we'd be set at DT for a really long time.  Still was mocked as a first rounder right up until the draft.  Thompson was a big dude with quickness.  It was damn near perfect.  I haven't given up on Thompson, though.  He may not be a superstar, but I think he can still contribute in some capacity.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2017, 03:01 AM)samhain Wrote: I thought we'd be set at DT for a really long time.  Still was mocked as a first rounder right up until the draft.  Thompson was a big dude with quickness.  It was damn near perfect.  I haven't given up on Thompson, though.  He may not be a superstar, but I think he can still contribute in some capacity.

Injuries have been Thompson's problems.

He gets off the line lightning quick when healthy and he is strong.

DeShawn Williams has looked better than him as of late though IMHO.
Reply/Quote