Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brown-Volson, excited to be linemates
Both had good things to say about the other. I hope the chemistry on the OL continues to grow.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/orlando-brown-praises-new-teammate-cordell-volson/ar-AA1apLkm?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=b667795d41ae46b98e1b11af73a87c50&ei=273

Quote:The Cincinnati Bengals will be looking to wrap up their offseason with another solid draft class, but it is the signing of Orlando Brown Jr. that will be the main storyline heading into the 2023 season.

Adding Brown alongside a rebuilt offensive line from last season, the front five for the Bengals this coming year is shaping up to be a step better.

A key piece to that unit is second-year guard, Cordell Volson. Brown spoke with Geoff Hobson, who is with Bengals.com and had some high praise for his new running mate on the left side of the line.

Brown says he’s been watching Volson’s tape (“He moves so well for being so tall,” and “You can tell he studies” as well as “He’s got a great future”) and while he hasn’t watched Brown yet, the massive 6-7, 313-pound Volson knows the rep.

“Great dude. We’ve texted a little prior to meeting,” Volson said. “Ton of energy. Really good player. Just knowing the caliber of player he is, I’m really excited to play next to him.”

Although the two don’t have a ton of reps completed together, it should be exciting for fans to get a glimpse of how dominating this duo could be this upcoming season.

With Joe Burrow coming off a spectacular season, having even more time to make decisions is only going to help add more to the stat sheet for this ultra-talented offense.

It all starts up front. Watching Brown and Volson go to work this season should be a lot of fun.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Volson taking decent step forward this year would be big for the OL.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Cue Frank to come in and tell us how bad Volson sucks.... Wink
Reply/Quote
Thanks for this Sunset. They are saying all the right things. As TLL said, if Volson takes a huge step this year in his game the
left side of the OL should be much better with Orlando Brown now at LT. He doesn't get pushed around like Jonah does and this
will really help out Volson who at the very least shown he belongs in the NFL as a rookie.

Coming from North Dakota State, such a small college and doing what he did was impressive at least for a stretch last year
when he played against some of the top DT's in the league and held his own. Expecting massive growth from Cordell in his
second year.
Reply/Quote
There was a quote from Zeus in the bengals.com article from the other day where he says he thinks Volson is the biggest guard he has ever played with. He’ll let us know for sure after camp
Reply/Quote
To give credit again to KillerGoose, we actually have Volson's grades game by game graphed out in this forum and they show his trajectory was the right one to be on. He started out rough (like the entire line did as they were totally out of sync) but ended up being at NFL average for his position before and through end of season. And this was with Jonah being unable to anchor and getting beat inside constantly - which makes a Guard's life difficult. With Brown being basically an immovable object against inside and power rushers Volson does not have to be so much on a pivot.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 02:10 PM)Joelist Wrote: To give credit again to KillerGoose, we actually have Volson's grades game by game graphed out in this forum and they show his trajectory was the right one to be on. He started out rough (like the entire line did as they were totally out of sync) but ended up being at NFL average for his position before and through end of season. And this was with Jonah being unable to anchor and getting beat inside constantly - which makes a Guard's life difficult. With Brown being basically an immovable object against inside and power rushers Volson does not have to be so much on a pivot.

Running left behind Zeus and Volson, or running right behind Cappa and Carman/Collins. The running back room has got to be happy.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 03:05 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Running left behind Zeus and Volson, or running right behind Cappa and Carman/Collins. The running back room has got to be happy.

And imagine a RB that actually has good balance running behind those guys. I swear Mixon is falling forward a ton out there where he could
get so much more explosive runs if he just stayed upright. He gets tackled by invisible defenders a lot lol
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 03:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: And imagine a RB that actually has good balance running behind those guys. I swear Mixon is falling forward a ton out there where he could
get so much more explosive runs if he just stayed upright. He gets tackled by invisible defenders a lot lol

I really think he is just shell shocked. He's so used to getting hit as soon as he gets the ball at or behind the line of scrimmage, I think if he sees a hole that he can dive into and get 4 yards he just takes it. If he gets used to having running lanes again, his balance may improve, though I really do not expect him to be here.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 05:20 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I really think he is just shell shocked. He's so used to getting hit as soon as he gets the ball at or behind the line of scrimmage, I think if he sees a hole that he can dive into and get 4 yards he just takes it. If he gets used to having running lanes again, his balance may improve, though I really do not expect him to be here.

Ruined him damn it. Agree, don't expect Mixon to be here. Start anew and don't ruin the RB this time.

With this OL we might finally have one that can be good at both run blocking and in pass protection. We will see.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 05:20 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I really think he is just shell shocked. He's so used to getting hit as soon as he gets the ball at or behind the line of scrimmage, I think if he sees a hole that he can dive into and get 4 yards he just takes it. If he gets used to having running lanes again, his balance may improve, though I really do not expect him to be here.
He's never really ever had a great line in front of him. I'm thinking that if he survives his legal issues and takes the pay cut he might have the best season of his career and becomes a FA and gets a big contact elsewhere next season.. We'll see though. If he had just so-so seasons his entire career here he'd definitely be toast..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote