Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Browning only has to be as good as Pickett
I'm not as down on Browning as some.  The kid had a phenomenal college career and even better HS career so he can really sling the ball accurately. He's had a few years now to sit and study Joe as well. I think mostly it's going to depend on how he processes defense and how well the supporting cast plays for him. Until proven otherwise I think he'll be just fine and play NFL quality football..  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2023, 11:04 AM)kevin Wrote: BEAT PITTSBURGH STEELERS

Back to back AFC Championship Games Bengals have beat Arizona, Seattle, LA Rams, 49ers, Bills and have a team to be Steelers.  Even without Burrow, Browning only has to be as good as Pickett.

Now I'm not talking about the rest of the schedule as some of you are.  I'm talking about this weeks game, The Steelers.  Pickett is not one of the great QB's in NFL.  Browning only has to be as good as a not very good Pickett to Beat Steelers.

As for rest of schedule, Bengals can still beat Steelers and Pickett twice and beat Browns without Chubb and Watson, and at least go 3-3 in the AFC North.  Goes without saying that I am not thinking tanking for draft, I'm thinking laying some losses on Steelers and Browns, two division rivals without a great quarterback now also.

So Browning only has to be as good as a not that great Pickett.  The Bengals Defense and Mixon and others have been a Super Bowl type team last few years, and even in this injury year have beat 49ers and Bills.  OK, rookie of the year Stroud and MVP type QB Jackson were hard to defend, but Pickett will be easier to defend.  Hendrickson and Company will keep Steelers from putting up points.  A low scoring game with Browning being as good or better than a not that great Pickett and Bengals Beat Steelers. This could be a Field Goal and Punting game for both teams with almost no touchdowns by either team.  2 college level QB's trying to play in the NFL, and both will have a hard day, so GO BENGALS and Beat Steelers.  Pickett and Browning is the opposite of a Mahomes and Allen shoot out.

Pitt Sux

Tiger  Who Dey  Tiger

Soooo.........

Picket = Browning
Steelers Run Gam > Bengals Run Game
Steelers Defense > Bengals Defense

Should equal a Bengals win?

For us to win, we need the defense to play much better than they have been and run the ball successfully, especially if Browning is going to be very average.

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2023, 12:17 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Soooo.........

Picket = Browning
Steelers Run Gam > Bengals Run Game
Steelers Defense > Bengals Defense

Should equal a Bengals win?

For us to win, we need the defense to play much better than they have been and run the ball successfully, especially if Browning is going to be very average.

Which the Bengals Defense will look better because they aren't playing super rookie of the year Stroud or MVP type Jackson. They are playing also very average Pickett.  Plus Bengals D was good enough to go to Super Bowl and AFC Championship last 2 years and beat Rams, 49ers and Bills this year.  Hendrickson and Company are good, it's the Bengals O Line and injuries to Burrow and Higgins most of season, the Bengals offense has been the problem. Steelers have their own problems on offense.  A low scoring game making it possible for a Bengals win on a McPherson field goal. BEAT STEELERS is very possible.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Jordan Palmer on Jake Browning

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TEnXNluhnjE
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2023, 02:11 AM)kevin Wrote: Which the Bengals Defense will look better because they aren't playing super rookie of the year Stroud or MVP type Jackson. They are playing also very average Pickett.  Plus Bengals D was good enough to go to Super Bowl and AFC Championship last 2 years and beat Rams, 49ers and Bills this year.  Hendrickson and Company are good, it's the Bengals O Line and injuries to Burrow and Higgins most of season, the Bengals offense has been the problem. Steelers have their own problems on offense.  A low scoring game making it possible for a Bengals win on a McPherson field goal. BEAT STEELERS is very possible.

Lol, they have played more than a super rookie this year.

They played a bad Watson and the Bengals D was rolled by the Browns pathetic offense.
Bengals D gave up 61 to the Ravens 2 games.
They played a very average Tannehill and the Bengals D gave up 27 & 400 yards to the Titans.
Bengals D gave up 544 yards to the Texans.

Even in the win vs the 49ers the Defense gave up 460 yards. 

2021 and 2022 does not matter this season.

Your suggestion that Browning can be as bad as Pickett and we will be fine makes zero sense.  The Defense cannot continue to play as a bottom 3 unit if we are going to win any games and the run game has to almost double in production if Browning is going to be average at best.

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2023, 02:11 AM)kevin Wrote: Which the Bengals Defense will look better because they aren't playing super rookie of the year Stroud or MVP type Jackson. They are playing also very average Pickett.  Plus Bengals D was good enough to go to Super Bowl and AFC Championship last 2 years and beat Rams, 49ers and Bills this year.

Like I said, our defense and run game have both been terrible.  I appreciate your homer fandom during the game chat, but if we cant run the ball or get stops on 3rd down we will likely not win another game.

Reply/Quote
Our pass rush is weak.
Reply/Quote
His passes seemed to be high a lot.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
Well Browning wasn't better than Pickett, and the other phases of our teams didn't reflect favourably on the Bengals today either.

Like I said... we aren't last year's Ravens. Backup QBs are going to be good for about 0 wins, if the defence and run game is not their to support them.

Joe Mixon 8 for 16 today was it? Love to hear Zac's answer for that.
Reply/Quote
“Only”.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Hopefully they'll keep Browning next year. He plays for the league minimum and when Burrow goes down again next season, we'll have a experienced backup/starter basically playing for free. Cut Mixon and maybe we can rollover that unused cap money and put it in the rainy-day fund.

I would think Zac and the rest of the coaching staff comes pretty damn cheap as well!

That's just smart management right there!
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
Browning is a complete trash can. Deep down I think we all knew this though...
Reply/Quote
perine in 2 rushes has more yards than mixon all day
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2023, 06:08 PM)Destro Wrote: His passes seemed to be high a lot.

As will fans who dare to watch any of his remaining starts.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(11-26-2023, 06:08 PM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: Well Browning wasn't better than Pickett, and the other phases of our teams didn't reflect favourably on the Bengals today either.

Like I said... we aren't last year's Ravens. Backup QBs are going to be good for about 0 wins, if the defence and run game is not their to support them.

Joe Mixon 8 for 16 today was it? Love to hear Zac's answer for that.

Browning was as good as Pickett, if you go by QB rating. Pickett 97.8. Browning 96.2. And Browning went against one of the NFL's top-rated defenses and Pickett against one of the NFL's poorly ranked defenses. 

And there was no Tee and there is never any TE like other teams have.

And the Bengals offense has little idea what they are doing in blocking stars like Watt. I mean, how could Drew Sample, who is lined up against Watt, think it was a good idea to leave Watt and go and try to join Jonah Williams to block the same lineman? The Bengals were fortunate that Browning was so elusive all game, or this would have been a 8-sack or more game.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2023, 07:56 PM)Nepa Wrote: Browning was as good as Pickett, if you go by QB rating. Pickett 97.8. Browning 96.2. And Browning went against one of the NFL's top-rated defenses and Pickett against one of the NFLs poorly ranked defenses. 

And there was no Tee and there is never any TE like other teams have.

And the Bengals offense has little idea what they are doing in blocking starts like Watt. I mean, how could Drew Sample, who is lined up against Watt, think it was a good idea to leave Watt and go and try to join Jonah Williams to block the same lineman? The Bengals were fortunate that Browning was so elusive all game, or this would have been a 8-sack or more game.

Tbh the point of my post wasn't particularly about Browning, moreso a reiteration of my view that Browning just isn't going to be setup to win many (maybe any) games the rest of the way. Backup QB's can ride a good run game and defence to mask their deficiencies, but we can't offer either of those things to help Browning. 

I would say he played better than general expectations, and probably slightly above what you'd expect from a low-ceiling backup QB. The pick was bad, but it was far from an error-laden game. Certainly shouldn't go home too disappointed in his efforts. 
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2023, 08:35 PM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: Tbh the point of my post wasn't particularly about Browning, moreso a reiteration of my view that Browning just isn't going to be setup to win many (maybe any) games the rest of the way. Backup QB's can ride a good run game and defence to mask their deficiencies, but we can't offer either of those things to help Browning. 

I would say he played better than general expectations, and probably slightly above what you'd expect from a low-ceiling backup QB. The pick was bad, but it was far from an error-laden game. Certainly shouldn't go home too disappointed in his efforts. 

Sorry, I didn't mean to respond to your post. I meant to just a comment to the thread. I agreed with your points.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2023, 06:50 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: As will fans who dare to watch any of his remaining starts.

Hey, once December 7th rolls around, it'll be legal for Bengals games to be more enjoyable.    Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
And he wasn’t.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2023, 12:23 AM)TKUHL Wrote: And he wasn’t.

If you go by QB rating, then Browning (96.2) was pretty close to Pickett (97.8). And consider who Browning had to face -- a pretty highly ranked Steelers' defense -- versus who Pickett had to face -- a pretty low-ranked Bengals defense. 

Browning had some fortunate bounces (two tipped balls for receptions) and one bad interception, but overall was solid (19 out of 26), particularly considering the Bengals had zero running game and faced a torrid pass rush.
Reply/Quote