Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Browns and Ravens games will set tone
We started out in a hole last year and had to climb back to make it to the playoffs thanks to the 10 game win streak. You dont want to put your team in a hole like that from the very beginning where you need to claw your way back with a big win steak. Even then the Bengals missed out on home field advantage which the Chiefs got again thanks in large part to the horrible start. It does matter
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2023, 01:14 PM)Sled21 Wrote: My Dad was the Junior High and Middle School Principal in New Richmond when I was growing up. At one point, he had Greg the Hammer as a student when his father Johnny live in NR. I saw him last year walking around at the Cigar Festival in Ybor City. Bigger in person than he looks on tv.

Back in my prior life working in NYC and marketing, I had a buddy who was in with the WWF marketing department and he and I and another pal of mine who were 80s/90s fans in the "smart marks" sense got to talk to some of the old timers like Greg Valentine, Harley Race, and Bobby Heenan.  The first two were as cordial as they were intimidating to speak to, and Bobby was as much of a gem as a long-time bad guy rooter-for like me could have hoped.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2023, 10:06 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I know we don't affect things as fans, but this is the shit that needs to stop.

We haven't won anything yet, be humble FFS.

That's scrapbook....
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2023, 08:08 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Oh gawd, here we go again. The first two games do not set the tone any more than they did last year when the team started slow then went on a 10-0 run. There are simply too many variables in a football season for any kind of tone to be set. 

I know we went on that run and that the first game doesn't determine the season, but we also played both of those games pretty tight, including take the Steelers to OT, so I think those games did help set the tone for the season.

The first two games will definitely help set the tone for the season and containing Garret against the Browns will definitely give the line confidence and help set the tone. 

Going into the Dawg Pound and coming out with a win (or at least playing it close) and then beating Baltimore would give us a lot of momentum going into Monday Night Football against the Rams and that could really set us up nicely for the rest of the season.
Reply/Quote
On a more serious note, the division should be better this year given the lack of starting QBs every team but us faced last year, so starting 0-2 last year was less of an issue than it would be this year.

I assume we'll start 2-0, but I'll also admit ZT tends to treat the first month of the season like pre-season, so I won't panic if we aren't looking aces right off the bat. We won't be able to decide if we're goin' all the way or doomed until after game 2 anyways.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2023, 12:28 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: And making quite likely the best homemade Italian food in all of Canada.  Cool

I will always be second to my dad Sad...

But I try my best! Big Grin 

Can't post all the pics of food here though, for some reason Sad
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2023, 05:10 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I will always be second to my dad Sad...

But I try my best! Big Grin 

Can't post all the pics of food here though, for some reason Sad

I hear ya.  In my family, my father will always be known as the best griller in the family.  But, according to my baby sister, I caught and passed him about 15 years ago.  But we'll never say that out loud in front of him.  Cool

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2023, 07:27 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: The first 2 weeks of the regular season starts off with the Browns and Ravens. We need to win these games to set the tone for the rest of the season. I'd hate to be down 0-2 by week 3. Looking forward to the Bengals and Burrow being tough in these games. Our D will also need to shine. I just hope the OL is ready for the challenge by then. Last year took a few games to get it together, Go Bengals!

I think we will have a big chip on our shoulders going against the Stains to start out the season and we want to turn the battle of Ohio
back in our favor. I hope the rumors are true and the Stains are going to more of a passing Offense with Watson and away from the 
abusive running game of Chubb. I think as long as Reader is healthy and ready to go either way we can win this one, but it will be tough.

We have the Ratbirds in our place I believe and Lou knows how to play Lamar. I think we can start out 2-0 no problem, but I think it is
more likely we lose on the road to the Stains if they are running the ball well and Watson plays decent.

It isn't the end of the world if we go 0-2 either as we saw last year but that isn't what we want to see, especially in the Division.

We put ourselves in a big hole last season having to win our last 3 Divisional games to win the Division. Let's make it a little easier on 
ourselves this season shall we?
Reply/Quote
Hate that we open with back to back division games. 1-3 in opening games under Zac. No Tee, Tyler, or JaMarr tomorrow, but maybe the o line will get some reps.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2023, 08:08 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Oh gawd, here we go again. The first two games do not set the tone any more than they did last year when the team started slow then went on a 10-0 run. There are simply too many variables in a football season for any kind of tone to be set. 

We beat Long odds last year going 0-2 , less than 15% teams since 1990 make playoffs starting 0-2, no way want to be in that position again especially going 0-2 in division with one being home loss to Ravens,
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2023, 08:52 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Hate that we open with back to back division games. 1-3 in opening games under Zac. No Tee, Tyler, or JaMarr tomorrow, but maybe the o line will get some reps.

No starters are playing. 
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2023, 03:57 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: No starters are playing. 

Figured but was hoping.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2023, 01:14 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: We started out in a hole last year and had to climb back to make it to the playoffs thanks to the 10 game win streak.  You dont want to put your team in a hole like that from the very beginning where you need to claw your way back with a big win steak.  Even then the Bengals missed out on home field advantage which the Chiefs got again thanks in large part to the horrible start.  It does matter

Those games "mattering" versus "setting the tone" are two different things.

Reply/Quote
I am so stoked for this season but not looking forward to another ugly season opener against a div rival. Cleve always plays us tough, Garret in particular. Would not hurt my feelings if Burrow misses the first game. It will definitely be a tough task for our Oline and Safeties.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2023, 07:48 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think we will have a big chip on our shoulders going against the Stains to start out the season and we want to turn the battle of Ohio
back in our favor. I hope the rumors are true and the Stains are going to more of a passing Offense with Watson and away from the 
abusive running game of Chubb. I think as long as Reader is healthy and ready to go either way we can win this one, but it will be tough.

We have the Ratbirds in our place I believe and Lou knows how to play Lamar. I think we can start out 2-0 no problem, but I think it is
more likely we lose on the road to the Stains if they are running the ball well and Watson plays decent.

It isn't the end of the world if we go 0-2 either as we saw last year but that isn't what we want to see, especially in the Division.

We put ourselves in a big hole last season having to win our last 3 Divisional games to win the Division. Let's make it a little easier on 
ourselves this season shall we?

I read that Jim Schwartz (Browns D coordinator) wants to send at least 5 pass rushers every play
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2023, 04:55 PM)kevinsea Wrote: I read that Jim Schwartz (Browns D coordinator) wants to send at least 5 pass rushers every play

Hope so, Burrow loves it when Defenses blitz. He is probably the best at beating the blitz now that Brady is gone.

Let's hope the Stains go to a passing Offense and blitz Burrow all day. I say we put up 35+ on them if this happens.

But if they stick with running Nick Chubb down our throats and only rush 4 all day it will be a low scoring close game IMO.
Reply/Quote