Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Browns interested in McCarron per Mary Kay Cabot
I'm starting to think that we will have a draft day trade with the Browns, but not involving McCarron. They will trade up to our 9 spot from 12 so they can take Trubisky away from the Bills.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2017, 12:57 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I'm starting to think that we will have a draft day trade with the Browns, but not involving McCarron.  They will trade up to our 9 spot from 12 so they can take Trubisky away from the Bills.

Yeah...or the Bills moving up...but I could see that.

IF the Bengals wanted OJ Howard or Foster or even Cook that's the play. Maybe Mike Williams too.

I'd love to see us package some of our picks for an extra 2nd Round pick too.

Like our 3rd, 4th, and 6th for a 2nd.

Realistically 11 guys aren't going to make this team. IF we could get 3 quality guys then 3-4 more with potential I'd be happy.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2017, 02:11 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah...or the Bills moving up...but I could see that.

IF the Bengals wanted OJ Howard or Foster or even Cook that's the play. Maybe Mike Williams too.

I'd love to see us package some of our picks for an extra 2nd Round pick too.

Like our 3rd, 4th, and 6th for a 2nd.

Realistically 11 guys aren't going to make this team. IF we could get 3 quality guys then 3-4 more with potential I'd be happy.

Great point. The other day I was thinking about the number of draft picks the Bengals have vs spots to realistically make the team.

Plus, trading McCarron makes sense for the roster as Jeff Driskel (whom I think has a ton of potential) is the 3rd QB occupying a roster spot. I may be wrong, but Bengals haven't had 3 Qbs on the actual roster but save for one season since Marvin took over.... this last one with Driskel. I researched Jeff Driskel a lot after the Bengals acquired him. There is a TON to work with there. A TON. There is no need for AJ on the roster, and I LIKE McCarron a lot. But he's an asset to get stronger at other positions at this point. There is NO NEED for him to be on the roster.

They HAVE to move McCarron or cut Driskel (which I don't see). They have too many draft picks and only need a few quality fillers. The Bengals are still relatively young at most spots.

If they can come away with strong prospects at WR, RB, TE, OG, C, and DE for the future I just don't see what else is needed? I'm not saying thy only keep 6 draft picks, but I think they have room to spend a few picks and McCarron to maneuver up and grab serious talent. This draft is ULTRA deep along the Dline, RB, WR, Oline. There are GREAT players at these spots all along the board.

I do NOT expect the Bengals to sit at their spots and just make straight picks. They have tons of ammo to move around and there is immense of talent that fit them extremely well in the first 3 or 4 rounds of this draft.
Reply/Quote
Has McCarron ever won an NFL Game ??? The rookie for Dallas came in and won. Dalton as a rookie won. With quarterbacks in NFL that have won, I fail to see why Browns or any team would trade a top pick for him. If a team does offer a pick on Thursday or Friday Night they should take it. Anything in first 3 rounds they should take.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2017, 04:16 PM)kevin Wrote: Has McCarron ever won an NFL Game ???  The rookie for Dallas came in and won.  Dalton as a rookie won.  With quarterbacks in NFL that have won, I fail to see why Browns or any team would trade a top pick for him.  If a team does offer a pick on Thursday or Friday Night they should take it.  Anything in first 3 rounds they should take.

Yes, in 2015 he became the first Alabama QB to win an NFL game since 1987.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2017, 12:24 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I think when McCarron came in and didn't suck, it surprised us all...but some ran wayyy too far with that. He wasn't awesome. He was just "ok". 

For a backup, that's great. We should be happy to have him behind Dalton. For a 1st round pick or even a 2nd round pick though? With some team making him their "guy"? That's where people went too far with their excitement.

Well, his body of work is such that, if someone wanted him, it would be largely based on perceived potential.  And I still say he showed more intangibles than tangibles.  Heart and confidence are essential characteristics but so are the physical traits.

I think he could develop onto a good QB but that's based more on a feeling than a real conviction.  And I have serious doubts about his ability to really carry a team.  What kind of a draft pick is that worth?

Best case for us, a team wants to draft one of the QB's and sees AJM as the way to let the rookie sit for a year.  Problem with that is, how much would they be willing to part with for a one year stopgap. 

I also don't see anybody seeing their franchise QB in him.  That, in my opinion, requires a helluva leap of faith, the kind that get guys fired.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-23-2017, 07:17 PM)McC Wrote: Well, his body of work is such that, if someone wanted him, it would be largely based on perceived potential.  And I still say he showed more intangibles than tangibles.  Heart and confidence are essential characteristics but so are the physical traits.

I think he could develop onto a good QB but that's based more on a feeling than a real conviction.  And I have serious doubts about his ability to really carry a team.  What kind of a draft pick is that worth?

Best case for us, a team wants to draft one of the QB's and sees AJM as the way to let the rookie sit for a year.  Problem with that is, how much would they be willing to part with for a one year stopgap. 

I also don't see anybody seeing their franchise QB in him.  That, in my opinion, requires a helluva leap of faith, the kind that get guys fired.  

Maybe people have brought this up in this thread, but I was just thinking that Cleveland might even be willing to deal #33 to us (or even #52 in the second round) for AJ even if they do draft a QB early so that they can let him sit for a year or two.  

How many quarterbacks has Cleveland destroyed as a franchise by throwing them into the fire?  They might be thinking ahead to avoid that (doubt it because, let's face it, they're the Browns).

They have so many draft picks early that they could do it (7 in the first four rounds) and seems like it could only have positive outcomes.
Reply/Quote