Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Browns interested in McCarron per Mary Kay Cabot
(04-07-2017, 05:24 PM)Takedown Wrote:  If Dalton goes down our season is already over.

I don't know why people always say this.  It is possible for Dalton to just miss a few weeks in the middle of the season.  Not every injury is season ending.

If we are really in a "win now" mode then weshiould be glad to keep McCarron.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2017, 05:20 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: if their target is gone? they have the 1st pick of the draft.

I've heard they like Watson, but don't want to use the first one him. They want to use the 12th pick, but there's a couple teams that might prevent that. So they can either: Take Watson first overall, drop back a couple spots (but stay ahead of the jets at 6) or stay pat and have another answer at QB while they develop a later round pick. The first and second options seem unlikely.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2017, 07:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't know why people always say this.  It is possible for Dalton to just miss a few weeks in the middle of the season.  Not every injury is season ending.

agreed.

I've never understood the mindset of "our QB is out for 2 games with a strain, might as well call it."
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2017, 05:32 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Aj is not worth number 1 or 12.  We need to get real with his trade value.  

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1 is pretty much out of the question unless the deal is McCarron and #9 for #1, but I really don't see either side wanting to do that.

12 is a lot more reasonable.  The Browns reportedly offered #12 plus other picks to the Pats for Garrapollo.  Even if you think Garrapollo is the better QB, it's hard to make the case that the difference is #12 and extra picks vs a second rounder.

Also keep in mind that the Bengals have already stated that 11 draft picks won't make the roster this year.  We have enough ammo to sweeten the pot to get that pick if we really want to.  What about McCarron and our 3rd for #12?
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2017, 07:42 PM)Whatever Wrote:  The Browns reportedly offered #12 plus other picks to the Pats for Garrapollo.  

This can't be true.

I am not bashing McCarron, but he really has not shown a lot more potential than some rookies in this years draft.  

AJ was in his second season in 2015 and he had a fantastic offense around him.  He looked decent to good, but he did not really light it up.

I am guessing he is worth a third roiund pick.  Maybe a second, but not one of the top ten.

I take a decent second round pick for Mccarron and our fourth round pick.
Reply/Quote
I'm all for trading AJM if the price is right.

But let's look at this from the other side of the coin...what would make Cleveland give a high 2nd for him, what makes AJM better than Cody Kessler at this point? If I'm the Browns I'm not making that trade. Realistically, they don't have to take a QB this year. There are a few veteran options out there to back up / mentor CK for a year, then see where they stand at the end of the season. With a much improved Oline in CLE, they could better evaluate CK's year and then determine if he's their guy moving forward..and if he doesn't play much better behind that expensive line they've built, THEN go get your future QB out of next year's much deeper class.

I didn't mention Brock Osweiler because his status is iffy up there, but who's to say Hue can't turn that kid around too? Cleveland already has viable options at QB on their roster..what does AJM bring to the table that they don't already have?
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2017, 07:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This can't be true.

I am not bashing McCarron, but he really has not shown a lot more potential than some rookies in this years draft.  

AJ was in his second season in 2015 and he had a fantastic offense around him.  He looked decent to good, but he did not really light it up.

I am guessing he is worth a third roiund pick.  Maybe a second, but not one of the top ten.

I think he showed a lot of potential. He's only had two full seasons of actual play. Plus his contract is cheap since he basically redshirtted his rookie year. There's another cheap year added on.

The deal of the Bengals 9th + AJ for the BRowns 12th & 33rd is a great deal for both sides.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2017, 07:42 PM)Whatever Wrote: #1 is pretty much out of the question unless the deal is McCarron and #9 for #1, but I really don't see either side wanting to do that.

12 is a lot more reasonable.  The Browns reportedly offered #12 plus other picks to the Pats for Garrapollo.  Even if you think Garrapollo is the better QB, it's hard to make the case that the difference is #12 and extra picks vs a second rounder.

Also keep in mind that the Bengals have already stated that 11 draft picks won't make the roster this year.  We have enough ammo to sweeten the pot to get that pick if we really want to.  What about McCarron and our 3rd for #12?

I'm surprised the Patriots didn't take #12 + other picks for Garrapollo
Reply/Quote

That's my assessment too Fred...

For a team to trade a Top 15 pick...they have to believe the player will be really good to a star. I just don't see McCarron going into Cleveland and fitting that criteria.

They'd be much better off drafting a WR or RB that they can pair with Coleman at WR.
Reply/Quote
If I'm the Browns, I take O.J. Howard at 12.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2017, 07:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't know why people always say this.  It is possible for Dalton to just miss a few weeks in the middle of the season.  Not every injury is season ending.

I was speaking of a season ending scenario... But we'll go with that, most QB's who win Super Bowls either have a really good defense or a good supporting cast on offense. If Andy goes down (for just a couple weeks), we would probably be fine with or without AJ (depending on our supporting cast/defense). The reality of it is, if a backup QB feels he deserves a shot, he's not going to be here forever, he'll want to be traded, or move on after his contract is up which is what's happening with AJ, I don't think some people understand this. I promise you this. He will not be here next year. Let's take advantage of the one year left that we have with him, get (realistically) a 2nd or a 3rd and have someone else for 4-5 more years. Again, if Andy goes down for a season ending injury, we're done, AJ or not. If it's a couple weeks cool, hopefully we'll have either a really good defense and or a good supporting cast on offense to carry us without Andy and it shouldn't matter who our backup is as long as he's decent enough.. We shouldn't have to rely on AJM to be here cause he won't be next year.

One could also argue that if we were in a "win now" type mode , we would be doing what we could to gather as many picks as possible. I'm not saying having a backup QB is only worth draft picks because he's just a "bench warmer", but we need the picks this year. Just my two cents.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals don't have the room to absorb Dalton missing games. If he gets hurt, it likely spells the end of any chance for a playoff run. It's great to have a backup like McCarron, but other more pressing spots could use the draft pick.
Reply/Quote
It would take at least the 33rd pick, in my opinion.

Anything less, I feel like, would be a bad trade, especially to an in division rival.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2017, 04:29 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If I were the Browns, I'd take Garrett #1, either Davis or Williams #12 to play opposite of Coleman as they need another big WR after Pryor bailed, and trade #33 for McCarron.

Why would MB trade AJM for a 2nd round pick to a division rival? MB would just tell them to go away.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Cool. Trade him.

I'd love to play McCarron twice a year. Especially someone the defense knows pretty well.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
Agree with Fred that AJ has not looked great which is what it would take to get a 1.

But Hue has seen more of him than just the games played and may really like him. So he may give a 2 which we should take without hesitation.

Agree with Shake as well that it could be a smokescreen to help them in dealing with NE. Could be.

Think personally that Hue has serious interest if this report is true and is using the word "bridge" to mask his real intentions and keep the price reasonable knowing he was raped by MB last time.

Give me a 2, or a 3 and 5 and I would move him in a second.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote

The Pats think Garrapolo is the guy to take over for Brady, so I can't blame them too much.

I'm not as high on McCarron as many are.  I think he's a solid backup who can win you some games and keep your playoff hopes alive if your starter goes down for an extended period, but I don't see him as a franchise guy.  I think that with PT, he could develop into a decent game manager.  However, this is a QB driven league and there are more teams than even game manager level QB's, and teams offer jaw dropping deals for guys that are even average starters.  

Trading him for a 3rd really doesn't make much sense, because you probably net a 3rd round comp pick for him when he leaves as a FA.  That's why you can't trade him for less than a 2nd.

Hue is in desperation mode because the current Browns owner has only been allowing 2 years for HC's to right the ship.  If they don't show dramatic improvement, he's gone, and he probably doesn't want to gamble on a rookie QB from a weak class being a high level immediate starter.  He's going to use all his influence to get a deal done.  Let's face it, if there was a QB in this class that they were sold on being a franchise QB, they'd take them at #1.  McCarron is their best option.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2017, 07:56 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: I'm all for trading AJM if the price is right.

But let's look at this from the other side of the coin...what would make Cleveland give a high 2nd for him, what makes AJM better than Cody Kessler at this point? If I'm the Browns I'm not making that trade. Realistically, they don't have to take a QB this year. There are a few veteran options out there to back up / mentor CK for a year, then see where they stand at the end of the season. With a much improved Oline in CLE, they could better evaluate CK's year and then determine if he's their guy moving forward..and if he doesn't play much better behind that expensive line they've built, THEN go get your future QB out of next year's much deeper class.

I didn't mention Brock Osweiler because his status is iffy up there, but who's to say Hue can't turn that kid around too? Cleveland already has viable options at QB on their roster..what does AJM bring to the table that they don't already have?

Kessler dosent have a deep ball aj mccarron does. Also hue worked with him for 2 years, he knows what he can and cant do. Mccarron can be a solid starter in the league. I honestly think the jets are the most realistic option. Dont see us trading with the browns. But from the browns side it would make sense.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2017, 05:21 PM)Takedown Wrote: "He’d give the Browns a good bridge QB while they develop their rookie."

Just her opinion. Not an exact quote from anyone in Cleveland. If they trade for AJM, its with the intentions of him being their franchise QB. A second round pick is possible and I wouldn't be that surprised to see #12 or both seconds handed to us for him.

Think about it. The Browns are interested. Hue knows Mike's asking price by now or at least has a good idea. He's made a deal with the man once for a previous Bengals QB. They wouldn't share interest if they weren't willing to serve Mike what he wants. Or its a smoke screen. That simple.

Sounding better and better by the minute...
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2017, 05:20 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: if their target is gone? they have the 1st pick of the draft.

I only do like 2 mocks but when I get time I could see a scenario where the Cardinals leap the Browns for a QB at 9 (regardless of the Jets pick) and the Browns pay up with the high 2nd for McCarron.
Reply/Quote