Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Browns restructure Deshaun Watson’s contract, get huge cap space help
Browns restructure Deshaun Watson’s contract, get huge cap space help

As expected, Browns GM Andrew Berry restructured Deshaun Watson’s contract to get ready for free agency
https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2023/3/13/23637461/browns-restructure-deshaun-watsons-contract-cap-space-nfl-free-agency

The Cleveland Browns have added salary cap space before the start of the legal tampering window.

As expected, GM Andrew Berry has restructured the contract of QB Deshaun Watson to give the team $36 million in cap space. We don’t have the details yet but it is likely that this restructure also includes the addition of void years to assist in cap space.

Prior to the Watson restructure, the Browns were over the salary cap by about $14 million with Watson’s $54 million cap number taking up a huge chunk of space. With this restructure, Watson will now have the third-highest cap hit behind Myles Garrett and Amari Cooper.
When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.

Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Did that restructure also come with free tickets to the massage parlor? Asking for a friend. Ninja
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 09:47 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Did that restructure also come with free tickets to the massage parlor?  Asking for a friend.   Ninja

Is this the smack thread? Asking for a friend. Cool

Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 09:51 PM)Vambo Wrote: Is this the smack thread? Asking for a friend. Cool

Not so much "smack" as much as special ed for football fans.  Wink

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 09:47 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Did that restructure also come with free tickets to the massage parlor?  Asking for a friend.   Ninja

Why is that your family business? You and your friend can put a bid in!

Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 09:55 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not so much "smack" as much as special ed for football fansWink

OK, special ed for Bengals fan message board makes sense! Whatever

Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 09:51 PM)Vambo Wrote: Is this the smack thread? Asking for a friend. Cool

He has to pay extra for that, that's what got him in trouble. 
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 01:28 PM)Sled21 Wrote: He has to pay extra for that, that's what got him in trouble. 
Why was Mixon shooting at those kids....just asking for a friend.

Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 05:17 PM)Vambo Wrote: Why was Mixon shooting at those kids....just asking for a friend.

He didnt. It was his sister's boyfriend. Mixon isn't facing any charges.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
All these petty off the field things and smack have taken the focus off the true matter at hand here...just how crapola granola Watson looked last year.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 08:02 PM)Nately120 Wrote: All these petty off the field things and smack have taken the focus off the true matter at hand here...just how crapola granola Watson looked last year.

Don't care it was a given, If he plays bad next season I'll be concerned.

For all you know Burrow could come out playing crapola granola...Is it likely prob not but could happen.

Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 10:12 PM)Vambo Wrote: Don't care it was a given, If he plays bad next season I'll be concerned.

For all you know Burrow could come out playing crapola granola...Is it likely prob not but could happen.

I'm just happy you also typed crapola granola. 
Reply/Quote
How do you restructure a fully guaranteed contract?
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2023, 05:29 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: How do you restructure a fully guaranteed contract?

Yeah, those latter year cap hits are going to be a special kind of stupidly high.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2023, 05:29 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: How do you restructure a fully guaranteed contract?

He's not losing any money, just moving it around. If they pay him less this year, they have to take all that money and move it to a later years. Pretty soon they'll be totally ****** because a really big bill will come due.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote

You turn base salary into signing bonus, which means you pay it out now but get to prorate it over a couple years for cap accounting purposes. Same as any other restructure.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2023, 10:07 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: He's not losing any money, just moving it around. If they pay him less this year, they have to take all that money and move it to a later years. Pretty soon they'll be totally ****** because a really big bill will come due.

I hope they keep restructuring his contract lol. Right now his void year is only a 8m dead cap but they can get it higher than that! Lol.

Cam Jordan is going into the last year of his contract with the Saints in 2023 as a 33 years old. Because they have restructured him so often they will have to resign him in 2024 at 34 years old to lower his dead cap hits in his void years... His dead cap hit in 2024 will be 23m lol. Saints have a few players that are aging and have a few high dollar void years.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2023, 10:37 AM)Synric Wrote: I hope they keep restructuring his contract lol. Right now his void year is only a 8m dead cap but they can get it higher than that! Lol.

Cam Jordan is going into the last year of his contract with the Saints in 2023 as a 33 years old. Because they have restructured him so often they will have to resign him in 2024 at 34 years old to lower his dead cap hits in his void years... His dead cap hit in 2024 will be 23m lol. Saints have a few players that are aging and have a few high dollar void years.

Gotta pay that bill eventually with a 1 year cap shitshow, but until then you can keep kicking the can down the road for as long as the player is good. I'm sure the Browns are fully expecting to extend Watson in a couple years, which will let them spread out some of those big cap hits and restructure them right back down to kick the can down the road some more.

The Saints have been restructuring Cameron Jordan's deals since 2016. That's 8 years of being able to kick the can down and squeeze more players into your salary cap in an attempt to win now in exchange for 1 eventual punch-in-the-mouth year. Worth it, though the Saints probably should have just done their cap reset when Brees retired.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote