Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bruce Arians
This guy is going to turn the abysmal Bucs into a true payoff competitor this year or next.

It is so freaking obvious that the Bengals needed to hire someone like Arians, who knows what he is doing and has a proven track record, to get this floundering ship on some sort of course before it sinks.

Absent this type of hiring there really is little to no hope for the Bengals until they move when lease expires.

But the Brown family will never hire someone like Arians and give him the control any premier coach wants and needs.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2019, 06:25 PM)bengals67 Wrote: This guy is going to turn the abysmal Bucs into a true payoff competitor this year or next.

It is so freaking obvious that the Bengals needed to hire someone like Arians, who knows what he is doing and has a proven track record, to get this floundering ship on some sort of course before it sinks.

Absent this type of hiring there really is little to no hope for the Bengals until they move when lease expires.

But the Brown family will never hire someone like Arians and give him the control any premier coach wants and needs.

Sure, the coach helps, but so does actually trying in free agency.  The Bucs brought in some guys to help.  They actually have a decent offensive and defensive line.
Reply/Quote
If the FO was going to keep the aged roster, then you are right, they should have went with a coach with some experience. Playoff (or at least OC) success.

They got a blow the whole thing up coaching staff that needs time to gel and establish the program/foundation. For a roster supposedly ready to "win now". What does that get us but a lost season or two with our already aging core.

The front office is... Something else. We are in for it with MB (Katie/Paul/Tobin and co) making decisions. But they don't know what they want and are slow to recognize the time to rebuild. Hence re-signing Gio.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
The Bucs also let a guy like McCoy go. Here IF we did that, fans would give the new coach an excuse to lose because of that.

No doubt Arians is a much better coach than Taylor.

Make no mistake though...no established coach will come here and the Bengals likely don't want an established coach. They want a coach they can control.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2019, 06:35 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Sure, the coach helps, but so does actually trying in free agency.  The Bucs brought in some guys to help.  They actually have a decent offensive and defensive line.

Shhhh!!!!! Facts! We don't like em!

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2019, 07:26 AM)Wyche Wrote: Shhhh!!!!! Facts! We don't like em!

logic and reasoning have no place here!!!!!

Bust out the torches and pitchforks
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2019, 06:35 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Sure, the coach helps, but so does actually trying in free agency.  The Bucs brought in some guys to help.  They actually have a decent offensive and defensive line.

The only reason we got out of the 90s slump is because somehow, the bengals also brought in some new personnel with the hiring of Marvin. Seems like they forgot to do that this time around OR Zac just decided to keep what was part of the problem. 
Reply/Quote

I'd say it's a bit of 'all of the above' for why we fail.

I think Taylor talked a good game and had management thinking he could be the change. But, not signing many impact free agents and not having league average scouting hurts.

Honestly, back when we had good rosters like from 2014/2015...some of us questioned why the Bengals didn't sign a quality MLB or Center. Those teams might have made a long playoff run with an Alex Mack at Center. Instead, they rolled over cap space.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2019, 10:17 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: The only reason we got out of the 90s slump is because somehow, the bengals also brought in some new personnel with the hiring of Marvin. Seems like they forgot to do that this time around OR Zac just decided to keep what was part of the problem. 

.....or maybe they wanted to have a fresh set of eyes evaluate the roster as we move into a more modern way of playing the game. Could be anything, with the way the Browns keep secrets, it's hard to say. If there aren't some major moves at least attempted in FA this off-season, we'll have our answer on the theory I put out there.

Reply/Quote
(10-03-2019, 06:25 PM)bengals67 Wrote: This guy is going to turn the abysmal Bucs into a true payoff competitor this year or next.

Arians basically said he'd come out of retirement for only a few situations and that was one because of his interest in "fixing" Jameis. I get the sentiment, but he was never in play here by his own decision. 
Reply/Quote

I never knew there so many fortune tellers among Bengals fans. So sure Arians will succeed in TB and so sure Taylor will fail. Amazing.

Rolleyes
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
The word has been out for years on how our front office operates. No coach coming here is going to have the control that Arians has in Tampa Bay. We get young 1st time head coaches or promote in house coaches to head coach. Coaches like Jon Gruden, Bill Cowher, etc. are/were never going to come here.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2019, 10:17 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: The only reason we got out of the 90s slump is because somehow, the bengals also brought in some new personnel with the hiring of Marvin. Seems like they forgot to do that this time around OR Zac just decided to keep what was part of the problem. 

You mean personnel like these all-time fan favorites?

Chuck Bresnahan
Bob Bratkowski
Ken Zampese
Paul Alexander

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2019, 05:41 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You mean personnel like these all-time fan favorites?

Chuck Bresnahan
Bob Bratkowski
Ken Zampese
Paul Alexander

Alexander had already been here nearly a decade at that point.

(I think he was referring to players)

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2019, 05:50 PM)Wyche Wrote: Alexander had already been here nearly a decade at that point.

(I think he was referring to players)

Oh, player personnel.  Well, they sort of had to do that, as no one wanted to play here.

As I remember, one of Marvin's first official acts as HC, he held a meeting and told them all that if they didn't want to be on the Bengals, they would be either dealt or given their release.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2019, 07:25 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The Bucs also let a guy like McCoy go. Here IF we did that, fans would give the new coach an excuse to lose because of that.

No doubt Arians is a much better coach than Taylor.

Make no mistake though...no established coach will come here and the Bengals likely don't want an established coach. They want a coach they can control.

I think they softened the blow for fans by replacing him with Suh.

If the Bengals cut Geno and replaced him with Donald, most fans would be ok with that.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2019, 12:17 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I never knew there so many fortune tellers among Bengals fans. So sure Arians will succeed in TB and so sure Taylor will fail. Amazing.

Rolleyes

Yeah, Jameis is far from a quality QB. I live near Tampa and he does have the occasional good game, but he has way more Bad Jameis days than Andy has Bad Andy days. Arians picked a challenge.

Taylor, on the hand, has failed pretty spectacularly so far. The team looks worse than I think anyone imagined is could during the off-season.

If someone would have posted during the off-season that this team would be 0-4, the offense would be in disarray and Austin's clone is running the defense, it would have seemed too impossible to believe. Yet, here we are.

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2019, 07:49 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Yeah, Jameis is far from a quality QB. I live near Tampa and he does have the occasional good game, but he has way more Bad Jameis days than Andy has Bad Andy days. Arians picked a challenge.

Taylor, on the hand, has failed pretty spectacularly so far. The team looks worse than I think anyone imagined is could during the off-season.

If someone would have posted during the off-season that this team would be 0-4, the offense would be in disarray and Austin's clone is running the defense, it would have seemed too impossible to believe. Yet, here we are.

Yes - Hard to imagine a guy that had a terrible offense at UC in the 1 year he was OC and then fired...and also the guy who replaced Lazor in Miami and made the offense worse and was FIRED...could be this bad when given more responsibility.  Hilarious Too bad someone didn't see this coming.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2019, 07:49 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Yeah, Jameis is far from a quality QB. I live near Tampa and he does have the occasional good game, but he has way more Bad Jameis days than Andy has Bad Andy days. Arians picked a challenge.

Most Bengal fans are optimistic by nature, it's a developed trait, coming from a lifetime of pulling for a perennial loser.  The close game in Seattle to open the season didn't do much to temper expectations, either..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2019, 08:37 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Most Bengal fans are optimistic by nature, it's a developed trait, coming from a lifetime of pulling for a perennial loser.  The close game in Seattle to open the season didn't do much to temper expectations, either..

Indeed. And no matter how far south this season goes...the draft, getting Jonah back, and whatever scraps we sign in free agency will have people thinking playoffs.

The NFL is really a great system for parity.

We  just don't experience playoff wins like other cities. It honestly isn't that hard to win playoff games. Everybody but us and Detroit.
Reply/Quote