Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bryce Ford - Wheaton WR
Currently projected as a 6th rounder he's 6'3 222. Recently stated he'll run 4.3's at the combine. We should be all over this kid.

https://twitter.com/PFN365/status/1629164528695926784

Ford-Wheaton runs precise routes, showing an innate feel for setting up defensive backs to create separation.
He’s also a catch-and-run threat, a creative runner who has good vision in the open field; he’ll be an option to return kicks as well.
Made Bruce Feldman's Freak's List - ranked #68. He wrote, "At 6-3 1/4, 224, Ford-Wheaton puts up some big numbers in the training program. He vertical-jumped 40 inches, broad-jumped 10-8; had a 4.02 pro agility time and went 6.68 in the L-drill. In addition, he power-cleaned 365 pounds. Teammate Lance Dixon, a linebacker who is almost the exact same size, put up very strong numbers in some of these areas too, with a 10-6 broad jump; a 39-inch vertical and 4.11 pro agility time."
He has reliable hands and shows the willingness to make catches in traffic over the middle.
A savvy, natural pass-catcher with reliable hands and very good focus. Snatches the ball out of the air and shows the concentration to make acrobatic catches look easy.
Ford-Wheaton fights his way off the line of scrimmage against press coverage, showing quick, violent hands and good balance.
He’s coordinated with soft, reliable hands, and Ford-Wheaton shows the ability to adjust to balls thrown behind him, as well as a knack for digging out low throws.
Reply/Quote
Lets see if he can actually run a 4.3x at the combine
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2023, 08:02 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Lets see if he can actually run a 4.3x at the combine
Even if he runs 4.4 that's as fast as Higgins is so that's good enough.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2023, 08:17 PM)pulses Wrote: Even if he runs 4.4 that's as fast as Higgins is so that's good enough.

4.4 is faster than Higgins.  If Tee ran a 4.4 he would never had fallen out of the 1st round.

Reply/Quote
Bryce has a long way to go. Limited route tree, limited release package, and limited ability to read defenses. Those arent his fault just the WVU system under need to be fired Neal Brown. One thing about Bryce Ford-Weaton that gets ya is important drops. He doesn't have a ton of drops but the one's he does have are in key points in games. Concentration issues.

He is definitely worth a day 3 pick though in any of the rounds.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Is Ford-Wheaton another Cody Core wannabe? Or his he actually legit?

Core had good size and speed, but he could never really put it together because he was so raw.

And if Ford-Wheaton is so fast and big and has such good hands, why did he only have a season-best 675 yards in college (10.9 YPR)?
I feel like someone with that size, speed, and hands while also playing in the Big 12 should be able to produce more than just 675 yards in 12 games.

Might be worth gambling a 6th rounder or 7th rounder, but I wouldn't spend any earlier pick on BFW.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-01-2023, 03:50 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Is Ford-Wheaton another Cody Core wannabe? Or his he actually legit?

Core had good size and speed, but he could never really put it together because he was so raw.

And if Ford-Wheaton is so fast and big and has such good hands, why did he only have a season-best 675 yards in college (10.9 YPR)?
I feel like someone with that size, speed, and hands while also playing in the Big 12 should be able to produce more than just 675 yards in 12 games.

Might be worth gambling a 6th rounder or 7th rounder, but I wouldn't spend any earlier pick on BFW.

Once again, people fall in love with the measurables and the straight line speed.  We all know that once players reach the NFL, they typically don't develop fundamental skills that should have already been honed and polished at the collegiate level.  

To bolded:  Some of that could be the offensive system he played in, but one would think that every once in a while they would send him deep to take advantage of that length/speed.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2023, 04:01 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Once again, people fall in love with the measurables and the straight line speed.  We all know that once players reach the NFL, they typically don't develop fundamental skills that should have already been honed and polished at the collegiate level.  

To bolded:  Some of that could be the offensive system he played in, but one would think that every once in a while they would send him deep to take advantage of that length/speed.

It's definitely not completely on the offensive system, as he hasn't even been the top pass catcher on the team any year.
It was Sam James and Winston Wright.
If you're that fast, big, good hands, and can run precise routes, you should be the focal point of your team's passing game.
The fact he wasn't says a lot to me about the probability he turns into a starter in the NFL.

If becoming a future starter isn't in the cards, he needs to be able to play ST very, very well to earn a spot on any team.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
When writing a hyphenated name, there are no spaces: I though this guy went to a school named Wheaton, which I don't think exists lol.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2023, 04:06 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It's definitely not completely on the offensive system, as he hasn't even been the top pass catcher on the team any year.
It was Sam James and Winston Wright.
If you're that fast, big, good hands, and can run precise routes, you should be the focal point of your team's passing game.
The fact he wasn't says a lot to me about the probability he turns into a starter in the NFL.

If becoming a future starter isn't in the cards, he needs to be able to play ST very, very well to earn a spot on any team.

(03-01-2023, 07:25 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: When writing a hyphenated name, there are no spaces: I though this guy went to a school named Wheaton, which I don't think exists lol.

Bryce Ford-Wheaton is as physically talented as any WR in this draft class hands down but that only gets you so far. He has a ton of work technically and a alot of basic football to learn that just wasn't taught at WVU. He is a day 3 guy I can even see him sneak into the bottom of the 4th because its a light class especially bigger longer receivers. If the Bengals take him end of 5 through 7 I would be ok with it.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-01-2023, 09:55 PM)Synric Wrote: Bryce Ford-Wheaton is as physically talented as any WR in this draft class hands down but that only gets you so far. He has a ton of work technically and a alot of basic football to learn that just wasn't taught at WVU. He is a day 3 guy I can even see him sneak into the bottom of the 4th because its a light class especially bigger longer receivers. If the Bengals take him end of 5 through 7 I would be ok with it.

He is a big project though, is my concern.
If the Bengals need a depth guy who they can be ok with taking 3+ years to develop and play a good amount of ST in the meantime, sure.
But I'm mainly wanting a WR who can start in 2024 when Boyd and/or Higgins is gone. I don't think this dude would be ready by then.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-01-2023, 11:41 PM)ochocincos Wrote: He is a big project though, is my concern.
If the Bengals need a depth guy who they can be ok with taking 3+ years to develop and play a good amount of ST in the meantime, sure.
But I'm mainly wanting a WR who can start in 2024 when Boyd and/or Higgins is gone. I don't think this dude would be ready by then.

Welcome to drafting Day 3. Anyone you take on day 3 is a project that is likely more special teams than starter. One thing Bryce has that some of the other players don't is physical talent and day 3 that is one of the major pluses.  Bryce should have transferred 2 years ago like most of the WVU roster did when they realized the WVU coaching staff was crap.

Physically there is very little difference between Bryce Ford-Wheaton and TCU WR Quentin Johnson. Bryce will probably test better.

Reply/Quote
(03-01-2023, 07:25 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: When writing a hyphenated name, there are no spaces: I though this guy went to a school named Wheaton, which I don't think exists lol.

You'd be wrong:

https://wheatoncollege.edu/
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-01-2023, 11:50 PM)Synric Wrote: Welcome to drafting Day 3. Anyone you take on day 3 is a project that is likely more special teams than starter. One thing Bryce has that some of the other players don't is physical talent and day 3 that is one of the major pluses.  Bryce should have transferred 2 years ago like most of the WVU roster did when they realized the WVU coaching staff was crap.

Physically there is very little difference between Bryce Ford-Wheaton and TCU WR Quentin Johnson. Bryce will probably test better.

I know that obviously, but I don't understand honestly the need to take a WR that needs a bunch of time to develop?
Maybe I'm just not fully grasping this dude's ceiling, but I would rather have a depth TE, DB, LB, or even punter in Rd 5-7.
I'd rather use a Rd 4 pick on a more productive WR rather than one who is so raw and needs so much work.
Personal opinion though, and you're not changing my mind.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-01-2023, 11:58 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I know that obviously, but I don't understand honestly the need to take a WR that needs a bunch of time to develop?
Maybe I'm just not fully grasping this dude's ceiling, but I would rather have a depth TE, DB, LB, or even punter in Rd 5-7.
I'd rather use a Rd 4 pick on a more productive WR rather than one who is so raw and needs so much work.
Personal opinion though, and you're not changing my mind.

He has excellent production for a day 3 receiver especially out of a D2 Air Raid system. Dude has physical talent that needs alot of technical and basic football work. With Bryce it will be all about the intellectual part of the interview over the physical testing which we are not apart of. 

Reply/Quote
(03-01-2023, 12:50 PM)casear2727 Wrote: 4.4 is faster than Higgins.  If Tee ran a 4.4 he would never had fallen out of the 1st round.

The story goes Buffalo was eyeing drafting Tee at 22 but his 4.54 at his pro day turned the Bills off and they traded for Diggs
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2023, 03:50 PM)ochocincos Wrote: ...And if Ford-Wheaton is so fast and big and has such good hands, why did he only have a season-best 675 yards in college (10.9 YPR)?

Since the comparison to Tee has been made, coming out of college Tee's last year he had 3 less receptions than Ford-Wheaton at 59 vs 62 but still put up 1167 yards for a 18.1 YPC average with 13 TDs compared to Ford-Wheaton's 675 yards, 10.9 YPR and 7 TDs.  Thats just a different level of production for Tee.   If Ford-Wheaton cant end up running a 4.3x what really is his ceiling?  Lifetime special teams player?  Ford-Wheaton would need to run a 4.3x before I would even use a 7th round draft pick for him.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2023, 01:03 AM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Since the comparison to Tee has been made, coming out of college Tee's last year he had 3 less receptions than Ford-Wheaton at 59 vs 62 but still put up 1167 yards for a 18.1 YPC average with 13 TDs compared to Ford-Wheaton's 675 yards, 10.9 YPR and 7 TDs.  Thats just a different level of production for Tee.   If Ford-Wheaton cant end up running a 4.3x what really is his ceiling?  Lifetime special teams player?  Ford-Wheaton would need to run a 4.3x before I would even use a 7th round draft pick for him.

Completely different systems and route trees. Tee' release package coming out of college makes Bryce look like a high school player. That's all coaching... which doesnt mean Bryce will pick it up just saying that's the difference.

Reply/Quote
(03-01-2023, 11:54 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You'd be wrong:

https://wheatoncollege.edu/

Ah! A pleasant surprise!

Do they have a football program? LOL

They do not: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheaton_Lyons
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote

Don't feel badly, I found myself asking the question "Where in the hell is Wheaton Univ?".

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote