Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bucky Brooks: Bengals could be competitive quicker than many anticipate
(05-16-2020, 11:21 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Do we shut down the NFL or nay sport when a team has a case of the flu hit them? Sickness is a part of life, recovery is the real story. How many recover? If recovery is 98.5% or higher we have been duped by fear and not facts.

I really don't want to get away from sports on this board, but there's a reason this isn't the flu. Because it's "novel", there is no herd immunity for coronavirus like there is for the flu, which means that in the absence of these safety measures virtually every American would get it. 98.5% recovery looks like a lot, until you realize 1.5% of Americans is about 4.5 million people. Even if that estimate is high, you're still talking about millions of people. 

So basically you're saying "why sacrifice entertainment for the sake of millions of lives?" (and just in the U.S. alone). 

Comparing Corona to the flu is to completely ignore the facts. 
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2020, 09:40 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: The Bengals aren't likely to make a worst-to-first turnaround in this AFC North with a rookie quarterback at the helm, but Burrow's arrival coincides with a culture change that could result in the team forging a quicker-than-expected climb up the charts.

Culture change

It's the thing that needs to happen the most ! Let's hope Burrow and Taylor can finally turn that corner.

It was the perfect time for a QB like Burrow. This offense is relatively young, I think AJ is the only player over 27. JB should establish himself as the leader quickly. This offense will have a chance to grow up together. From everything from JB and ZT, they are all about playing as a team and finishing off games. Last season was all about players buying into what ZT wanted and if you believe what the players said at the end of the season, about how much they believe in the new system. Those that didn't believe are long gone. The draft was all about high character guys and play at 100%. If you can't see the trend the Bengals are striving for, then you're not looking.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2020, 09:40 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: The Bengals aren't likely to make a worst-to-first turnaround in this AFC North with a rookie quarterback at the helm, but Burrow's arrival coincides with a culture change that could result in the team forging a quicker-than-expected climb up the charts.

Culture change

It's the thing that needs to happen the most ! Let's hope Burrow and Taylor can finally turn that corner.

And that is likely a good thing, in my opinion.  Our division is currently strong, with the Bengals a team on the rise.  Realistically, if things go well, this team could get to the top in a couple years.  If that happens, we'll know that the Bengals are for real, and not fool's Gold for landing on top of an otherwise weak division.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
We're going to be a good football team especially on defense. I honestly could see us holding that Lombardi trophy at the end of this season. Obviously a lot has to go right for that to happen though.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Tyler Boyd:

"I just want to go out there and just prove people wrong. We still have doubters and everybody's still saying that we're going to be the weakest team. With me, I just love proving people wrong, so that's what we got to go out there and do."

"I don't feel like anybody feels threatened at this moment. We have to go out there and prove ourselves. On paper we have an all-star stacked team."
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2020, 12:30 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: I really don't want to get away from sports on this board, but there's a reason this isn't the flu. Because it's "novel", there is no herd immunity for coronavirus like there is for the flu, which means that in the absence of these safety measures virtually every American would get it. 98.5% recovery looks like a lot, until you realize 1.5% of Americans is about 4.5 million people. Even if that estimate is high, you're still talking about millions of people. 

So basically you're saying "why sacrifice entertainment for the sake of millions of lives?" (and just in the U.S. alone). 

It’s really sad (and a bit scary) that this has to be explained.

Reply/Quote
(05-16-2020, 12:30 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: I really don't want to get away from sports on this board, but there's a reason this isn't the flu. Because it's "novel", there is no herd immunity for coronavirus like there is for the flu, which means that in the absence of these safety measures virtually every American would get it. 98.5% recovery looks like a lot, until you realize 1.5% of Americans is about 4.5 million people. Even if that estimate is high, you're still talking about millions of people. 

I see the facts, I read, I listen and I see in Ohio less deaths from this virus than the flu that we have a vaccine for right now. So to say this is not up for debate and my points are void of facts are wrong. I see in Clermont County a whopping 4 deaths in 4 months and people are at the grocery, working in fast food restaurants and of course our medical people and first responders are not just sitting on a a couch.

Also, what virus in the history of man has been created that 100% of the population is in danger. We already know kids and the younger population death rates are almost non existent. We know if you are 65 and older you are vulnerable or if you have pre-existing conditions you are at risk to die. How many young healthy people have died from this virus? The answer is so small it almost does not register.

Like I said, NFL players may get it just like they get sick with cancer of other illnesses, get back to me when a lot of them die from it verus just get sick from it.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2020, 02:22 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s really sad (and a bit scary) that this has to be explained.

It's sad when some can't see this thing may have been way overblown and the facts point to only a fraction of people being vulnerable to death. Thos people are old and or have pre existing medical conditions. Those are undisputed facts.

But no problem, by all means stay home for the next 10 years while the rest of live life which means we may die from a virus or from a car accident or be murdered by a mother who is healthy but decides the baby is not essential for life.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Reminder: this is not a coronavirus thread.  Whatever

If you want to focus on that topic, there's an 89 page thread in P&R.
Reply/Quote
I like Brooks' take. He at least had the brains to see what the Bengals did (captains and winning FAs), and recognize we have some weapons (Green, Mixon, Boyd, Higgins). And we lost 8 "one score" games last year.

We still have a lot of "IFs" going into next season. Particulary at OL, TE, LB, and even CB. I think Dalton had some weapons too (AJ + a better D + a better offensive line). Our division is tough. Ravens have the MVP. Pitt has an elite D and getsBen back. Browns added a stud TE, and upgraded both tackle spots.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2020, 05:37 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I like Brooks' take. He at least had the brains to see what the Bengals did (captains and winning FAs), and recognize we have some weapons (Green, Mixon, Boyd, Higgins). And we lost 8 "one score" games last year.

We still have a lot of "IFs" going into next season. Particulary at OL, TE, LB, and even CB. I think Dalton had some weapons too (AJ + a better D + a better offensive line). Our division is tough. Ravens have the MVP. Pitt has an elite D and getsBen back. Browns added a stud TE, and upgraded both tackle spots.

The last two years especially Dalton had little or no AJ Green and probably the worst line we have had in a long long time and our defense was one of the worst over those two years.. Burrow is coming into a better situation so he is better positioned to have success
Reply/Quote
They could be competitive sooner or later or the exact same time as some people think. Yep, could happen.
Reply/Quote
By drafting Joe Burrow and with Joe Mixon/AJ Green the Media is ignoring the fact the Bengals completely rebuilt their Defense during the off-season. That will have a very large impact in 2020.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(05-16-2020, 11:50 PM)Synric Wrote: By drafting Joe Burrow and with Joe Mixon/AJ Green the Media is ignoring the fact the Bengals completely rebuilt their Defense during the off-season. That will have a very large impact in 2020.

I agree

Also ignoring AJ Green will be back with some really good 2, 3, 4 and 5 WR's

I am hoping Sample surprises as well.

I don't give u on rookies who get injured in year #1

Reply/Quote
(05-16-2020, 05:25 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Reminder: this is not a coronavirus thread.  Whatever

If you want to focus on that topic, there's an 89 page thread in P&R.

Yeah, but that thread's not really about the coronavirus. 

As to the OP: I'd just be happy this year with a moderate improvement and winning a game against each AFC North foe.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-15-2020, 08:00 PM)Kingslayer Wrote: This roster is a lot better than most people think.  My only real concern is the coaching staff.  ZT needs to prove himself soon

Agree.  ZT is the biggest concern on this team.  We have the talent. (not a lot of depth though).
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2020, 09:50 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Yeah, but that thread's not really about the coronavirus. 

Doesn't matter. Certain people have trouble just getting into the PnR thread with that tricky little password that could only be more visible if it smacked you in the face.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I think they will surprise people. A Wild Card push is a possibility....if they stay healthy.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2020, 11:25 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I would add because of all of weapons and tyoe of weapons we will be a much harder team to defend. A healthy AJ who missed all of 2019 begins a DC nightmare. Add in the rest of the receivers who can all get open quickly or go deep or mid range helps the Ol. If you blitz Joe, you have receivers who can get open quickly. If you rush with 4, then more time for a talented WR group with deep ability and a QB who can deliver deep accurate passes.

The offense can be scary good when John Ross maybe your 4th best WR in a 4 WR set.

Agree 100%.  I mean, Auden Tate was a human highlight reel last year and he is your #5?  Offense will be able to put up points....what can the defense do to gel quickly?  
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2020, 01:18 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Agree 100%.  I mean, Brandon Tate was a human highlight reel last year and he is your #5?  Offense will be able to put up points....what can the defense do to gel quickly?  

Brandon Tate is a studddd! Lol
Reply/Quote