Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bucs fired their DC - why is Austin still employed?
(10-19-2018, 09:38 AM)Wyche Wrote: I agree with ya.....but to be fair....they WERE playing ARZ Tongue  Jeez man, my opponent in FF had the Denver D, and them sumbitches scored 34 points as a result of that dumpster fire in the desert.  34!!!!!!!!

Yep, and there was no doubt Peko needed his snap count reduced to stay fresh. But in this rotation, he could have prospered. Fans are always so ready to dump on a player that gets a little older, and want them replaced immediately. Peko, MJ, etc..... then you look around, and there are no locker room leaders. 
Reply/Quote
I am sure we can hire a great replacement if we fire Austin right now. I mean what great coach is not going to jump at the chance to play for a team that will only give him 6 games to prove how good he is.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 10:07 PM)Sled21 Wrote: All I know is it sure makes me sad to watch Peko playing NT in Denver, holding double teams and getting penetration. He sure took a lot of flak here that was undeserved.....

Funny how no one will admit it now, but the crying and whining over playing Peko was ridiculous.  According to many around here him being on the roster proved that we did not care about winning.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2018, 10:11 AM)Sled21 Wrote:
Yep, and there was no doubt Peko needed his snap count reduced to stay fresh.
But in this rotation, he could have prospered. Fans are always so ready to dump on a player that gets a little older, and want them replaced immediately. Peko, MJ, etc..... then you look around, and there are no locker room leaders. 

Looking back on it.....I think this was the main issue with his declining play here his last couple of seasons.  He was just out there too much.  I was a little hard on him myself, but hindsight tells me he just needed more rest to be effective.  The same goes with MJ.  I've not been as critical of MJ as some.....I just think he needs spelled more, and I really liked what I saw of him at DT last season.  The other issue with these guys was/is the salaries they are/were being paid versus their production.  I think that is a reason for a lot of the heat they get/got.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 12:56 AM)Go Cards Wrote: For some the sky has fell already and there is no reversing it. 

And for others the sky fell when Mikey took over
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 09:56 PM)chopperbobby Wrote: You can fire whoever, and make big changes but two things stay the same. Head coach and owner.  Just ride the wave.   As Dunlap said doing same thing and expecting different results.

The difference is Mikey does not expect different results. He appears quite comfortable being average, making $20M a year and having the team value increase even more each year. This team is right where he likes it, he provides just enough hope to the faithful yet does not have to make changes to get to the next level. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2018, 11:46 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I am sure we can hire a great replacement if we fire Austin right now.  I mean what great coach is not going to jump at the chance to play for a team that will only give him 6 games to prove how good he is.

There in lies the problem Fred, he isn't any good. In Detroit he was horrendous and should never have been hired here. I do agree though, at this stage of the season we aren't going find anyone else worth a shit either.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2018, 02:19 PM)sandwedge Wrote: There in lies the problem Fred, he isn't any good. In Detroit he was horrendous and should never have been hired here.

His first season as DC in Detroit he took a team that had ranked 16th in yards allowed and 15th in points and turned that into 2nd in points and 3rd in yards.

The next three seasons were not as good, but far from "horrendous".

It is hard to judge a coordinator without looking at the talent he has.  The year we hired Mike Zimmer as our DC his Atlanta defense had ranked 29th in both points and yards allowed.
Reply/Quote
Too early to give up on him. I'm not a fan of what I've seen so far, and yes, I do tend to blame the problems on the scheme. However, one thing I do not want at all is Jim Haslett taking over the role as DC at any point in time. I'd also like to see how things worked out if this team ever had a serious linebacking corps on a consistent basis.

If the defense looks like this when the season ends, then I'm all for canning him. No reason to let him hang on like they did Zampese after his first year as OC. For now, though, I think a lack of experience with the scheme and lack of talent in the linebacker group are the main issues. Lots of growing pains.
Reply/Quote
1.) We have had 3 good games on defense Baltimore, Miami, and Colts. The Numbers are a bit deceiving because the total yards per game we're high but yards per play we're low.

2.) We have played 5 QBs with either a SB appearence, SB win, MVP, or a 40 TD season. It's not like we have been playing a soft schedule when it comes to QBs.

3.) We missed Vontaz for the first 4 weeks; that's a huge loss for us. Also Vigil and Him have only played a game and a Quarter together that doesn't help.

4.) Jessie Bates is a rookie and he has the responsibility of leading the secondary and getting them lined up. Half to wonder how much are we Missing Iloka in that regard. There is definitely issues coming from it.

5.) It's a new system need more time to see if it works.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote